Pulled Ham 1st try. jcam way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HushyQ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2023
Cleveland, Ohio
First off a HUGE thanks to my NE Ohio neighbor jcam for his Pulled Ham thread. Those pics literally had me drooling so much I just had to move it to the top of my SMJ to-do list and boy am I glad I did. First off, shame on me for not picking up a Sugerdale during Easter. I sure didn't get the 79 cents a lb deal, uhhggg.
Both Shanks and Butts were same price & went for the Butt. Used Jeff's Keto pork and chicken rub recipe and I gotta say it is GREAT. Did his addition of clove and allspice to some for the ham and gave that butt a rubdown. On the Treager at 275 with Cherry pellets and 1 smoke tube filled with cherry chips and pellets. I almost always alternate handfuls of each. Did the diet AW spray and rerun 2 hours in. Sprayed a few more times and my hope was to get it to 165 like his recipe but my Treager pooped out at 150. My half bag of Cherry pellets that have been sitting for a while, since I've been strictly Post Oak blend lately, must have gotten some moisture. First time that has happened to me and I'm just glad it lasted to 150. At that point I placed the rack over a pan of ham base and some diet AW, wrapped it super tight and into the oven at 300 to try and hurry it up a bit. The whole effort took much longer than I anticipated so I took it out of the oven at 202. I was tired, had a few too many rye's and decided to just cover it with blankets and tear into it in the morning. I must say, everything about this is a winner. The rub, the juice, the ham. I had never heard of pulled ham before joining SMF and I agree with those of you who make it that it is a MUST try,. Haven't decided what to do first. Probably just sammys & slaw with my son as we watch the Cavs in a game 7. Just hope while we eat our sammy no-one pulls a hammy. I think this would be awesome with some white beans in a cassoulet too. I have seen both vac with juice and without. Curious as to the difference you all have found between the 2. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics and Thanks Again Jeff!!!!!!!!!!
PH victim.jpg
PH rubdown.jpg
PH start.jpg
PH rerub & spray.jpg

rerun & spray with diet AW
PH bark.jpg

PH cu.jpg

PH ecu.jpg

PH taste test.jpg

Jersey Girl gets the taste taste before getting the bone.

Attachments

• PH rerub & spray 2.jpg
    PH rerub & spray 2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 8
First off a HUGE thanks to my NE Ohio neighbor jcam for his Pulled Ham thread. Those pics literally had me drooling so much I just had to move it to the top of my SMJ to-do list and boy am I glad I did. First off, shame on me for not picking up a Sugerdale during Easter. I sure didn't get the 79 cents a lb deal, uhhggg.
Both Shanks and Butts were same price & went for the Butt. Used Jeff's Keto pork and chicken rub recipe and I gotta say it is GREAT. Did his addition of clove and allspice to some for the ham and gave that butt a rubdown. On the Treager at 275 with Cherry pellets and 1 smoke tube filled with cherry chips and pellets. I almost always alternate handfuls of each. Did the diet AW spray and rerun 2 hours in. Sprayed a few more times and my hope was to get it to 165 like his recipe but my Treager pooped out at 150. My half bag of Cherry pellets that have been sitting for a while, since I've been strictly Post Oak blend lately, must have gotten some moisture. First time that has happened to me and I'm just glad it lasted to 150. At that point I placed the rack over a pan of ham base and some diet AW, wrapped it super tight and into the oven at 300 to try and hurry it up a bit. The whole effort took much longer than I anticipated so I took it out of the oven at 202. I was tired, had a few too many rye's and decided to just cover it with blankets and tear into it in the morning. I must say, everything about this is a winner. The rub, the juice, the ham. I had never heard of pulled ham before joining SMF and I agree with those of you who make it that it is a MUST try,. Haven't decided what to do first. Probably just sammys & slaw with my son as we watch the Cavs in a game 7. Just hope while we eat our sammy no-one pulls a hammy. I think this would be awesome with some white beans in a cassoulet too. I have seen both vac with juice and without. Curious as to the difference you all have found between the 2. Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics and Thanks Again Jeff!!!!!!!!!!View attachment 696161View attachment 696168View attachment 696163View attachment 696167
rerun & spray with diet AW
View attachment 696160
View attachment 696164
View attachment 696165
View attachment 696162
Jersey Girl gets the taste taste before getting the bone.
Dang that looks soo fn good. Save some for me.🤣😂🤣. I might have to move pulled ham up on the list of things to make first. Awesome work.

Even real nice of you sharing with the dog.

Reactions: HushyQ
You nailed it! I have one sandwich worth left as much of mine went out the door to others. I will do 4 next time. Hoping to catch a sale as right now they are $2.49 / lbs. I don't follow basketball as much as Browns football but Go Cavs.

I was at a county fair once, that was selling pulled ham sandwiches. They recommended me to drizzle a touch of BBQ sauce on it & add about 5-6pickled jalapeño slices to it.

Oh boy it was a treat to eat! Lmao I must of bought 5-6sanwiches that day. 🤣

Thanks all for the kind words!!!!! I am honored for the ride on the Wheel of Deliciousness. Dinner been moved till after game so plate shot has to wait. Too much picken n snitchin.

I love double smoking a cooked ham, makes them have a lot more flavor than one just popped in the oven, sure can't go wrong following Jeff's recipes. Best prices for ham, turkey, and prime rib come during the Xmas and Easter holiday season, that's when to stock up and fill the freezer. Nice work! RAY

Thanks again all. Jersey Girl got the bone. I do love Pea Green Soup and Navy bean soup but she looked up at me and I couldn't resist. I'll save it when I do a shank and make some soup. Here is the plate shot and a snack shot. Made my Grampa K's ham glaze as a sauce to drizzle instead of BBQ sauce. He glazed a smoked picnic for Easter every year and we do his method often. I felt it only right to include his glaze in my first Pulled Ham. Gramps would have loved it. Thanks again Jeff and you all.
PH snack.jpg

Couldn't hold out. Made some Tostone toppers with fried onions and Grampa K glaze. DieselTech's jalapeño slices idea would have been a perfect addition. Next time man!!!!
PH plate.jpg

Tostones, rice and a sammy on Hawaiian roll with fried onions and glaze. Have a big ol ziplock to make some Ham Patties with Dijon Cream sauce and some white beans and ham for later this week. The rest was vac sealed. 2 with juice, 2 without. So, one word of warning for you all on a sodium restriction. This is some very salty goodness. I may need to double up on my crestor this week, lol. Cheers!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky