Smoking first whole turkey - Rub under the skin, on the skin, or no rub at all?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesquid

Original poster
May 16, 2017
I have brined my turkey overnight with cold salt and brown sugar mixture. I am ready to smoke the bird. I have seen differing posts about whether to use a rub and if so where to place it.So here are my questions ...
  1. Should I use a rub or just oil the outside of the turkey?
  2. If a rub is suggested should I place it underneath the skin or on top of the skin?
  3. If using a rub under the skin should I still apply oil to the outside of the turkey?
Thank you!

I just coat the skin with olive oil and apply rub to the skin.
I usually figure smoking time is approximately 20 mins a pound @ 300 to 165-170 IT.

Last edited:
I coat birds in mustard first then get it covered in rub. If there are openings between skin and meat I get rub sprinkled between the skin and meat if possible. Every 30-45 min during a smoke i spray down with a fruit based juice or use a mop blend. Either way keep it wet as birds want to dry out.
Good luck with the cook!

I have brined my turkey overnight with cold salt and brown sugar mixture. I am ready to smoke the bird. I have seen differing posts about whether to use a rub and if so where to place it.So here are my questions ...
  1. Should I use a rub or just oil the outside of the turkey?  Oil helps crisp the skin.  
  2. If a rub is suggested should I place it underneath the skin or on top of the skin?  You brined the bird in salt and brown sugar.  That's the flavor profile of your meat.  Personally, I think applying rub under the skin is a lot of unnecessary work.  Once I oil the skin, I apply the rub. 
  3. If using a rub under the skin should I still apply oil to the outside of the turkey?  Yes, see #1 above
Thank you!  You're welcome.

I usually put butter & garlic under the skin.

Al
I usually do like Al, but I add fresh thyme and sage (chopped). I'll add some salt, pepper and cayenne to the outside of the skin (I'm the only one in my house to eat the skin, so I can adjust the heat for my tastes and not my daughter's tastes - she can't even tolerate more than a touch of black pepper!)

Thanks everyone for the advice! I spatchcocked the bird and I think I will take a little bit of all the advice. I found a simple poultry rub on the forums and will use that on the outside of the turkey after applying some olive oil. I will also sprinkle some of the rub under the skin but no go crazy covering everything. I will also try spraying the turkey every 45 minutes with Apple juice. I will report back with photos. Thank you all for your time and effort in helping me out!

Thanks everyone for the advice! I spatchcocked the bird and I think I will take a little bit of all the advice. I found a simple poultry rub on the forums and will use that on the outside of the turkey after applying some olive oil. I will also sprinkle some of the rub under the skin but no go crazy covering everything. I will also try spraying the turkey every 45 minutes with Apple juice. I will report back with photos. Thank you all for your time and effort in helping me out!
Spraying the turkey with Apple Juice is going to make the skin rubbery or tough.  It needs to dry in the smoker, rendering all the fat from the skin.  Spraying with apple juice is going to prevent that from happening. 

Spraying the turkey with Apple Juice is going to make the skin rubbery or tough.  It needs to dry in the smoker, rendering all the fat from the skin.  Spraying with apple juice is going to prevent that from happening. 
Didn't someone else recommend spraying it with a fruit juice to keep it moist?

I recommeded using a fruit based juice but I cook within the 250-275 range and I have had good results with the skin. I've done a whole turkey at 225 with a tall boy beer can up its cavity and the skin was great to me and my fam liked it. I sliced thin most of it and shredded the rest. Rather than large servings w bigger skin portions. But different strokes for different folks. Just letting u kno what I use.

Squid, whatever you do, please take pictures!!! Love to see how it turns put. Turkey, as big as it is, hard to screw up. I normally avoid mops or spraying as I love crispy skin. And I do put butter and garlic under the skin as it helps keeps the bird juicy. Good luck!

James

I brined mine and dried it off, brushed with olive oil and dusted with a poultry rub. Nothing under the skin. BUT....as per the Mrs. request, injected with garlic butter.

Smoked with apple wood and it was one of the MOST and BEST tasting turkeys I have ever eaten!!

I did my first whole bird a few months ago. I rubbed with olive oil and used Adoboe poultry seasoning for the rub. Also made my own beer butter and injected it. Was the best bird I ever had. Not to mention it was wrapped in bacon ;) hope your bird comes out good. Post a pic when you can

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky