Smoking cooked ham/twice smoked ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
Hi all,

I recently bought a pre-cooked ham from a local butcher. I was planning to smoke it for a Christmas Eve meal. Is there anything more to it than simply using my smoker the way you'd use your oven to re-heat a cooked ham? Or do I just toss it in and cook it until IT is ~150?

Mucho thanks!

Bearcarver Bearcarver has great step by steps on hams.
Jim

I do them often (doing one for Christmas as well) and my routine goes like this... I trim all of the smoke/bark/skin off that is on it now... Then I put a rub made into a paste all over it.. throw it in smoker @225 .. I start mopping with a mop sauce after a couple of hrs... then I start putting my glaze on (layered) a couple of hrs before finish... It only takes 6 hrs.. IT of 145 is more than safe.. It is already cooked your just reheating ...

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Hi all,

I recently bought a pre-cooked ham from a local butcher. I was planning to smoke it for a Christmas Eve meal. Is there anything more to it than simply using my smoker the way you'd use your oven to re-heat a cooked ham? Or do I just toss it in and cook it until IT is ~150?

Mucho thanks!

Here's my 2 newest Double Smoked Ham Step by Steps:
One regular:
Double Smoked Ham

And One Spiral Sliced:
Double Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham

Bear

Bear,

Wow, that's a compendium of smoking info if I've ever seen one. Good stuff, man. Thanks for that.

How critical is the glaze? Personally I don't like sweet flavors with meats. I'll use sugars in dry rubs, but only to mellow out heat and to round out the flavor profile and give it that deep, richness you don't get if you don't have a sweet component. Jeff's dry rub and sauce are about as sweet as I can tolerate. I just can't eat meats when sweet becomes the dominant flavor modality (which puts me in the minority out here because Utahans have a VERY sweet tooth).

Anyway, if I did everything but your glaze, I would think it would still turn out just fine, wouldn't it?

Reactions: JLeonard
Bear,

Wow, that's a compendium of smoking info if I've ever seen one. Good stuff, man. Thanks for that.

How critical is the glaze? Personally I don't like sweet flavors with meats. I'll use sugars in dry rubs, but only to mellow out heat and to round out the flavor profile and give it that deep, richness you don't get if you don't have a sweet component. Jeff's dry rub and sauce are about as sweet as I can tolerate. I just can't eat meats when sweet becomes the dominant flavor modality (which puts me in the minority out here because Utahans have a VERY sweet tooth).

Anyway, if I did everything but your glaze, I would think it would still turn out just fine, wouldn't it?

Great Question!!
I would say it depends on your taste.
I don't use sugar on any Beef, Pork, or Chicken, with the exception of Cured Bacon & Ham. I use the sugar to counteract the salt when I cure Bacon, and I do like some sweet on my Hams, Smoked or not.
I'm sure if you don't like sweet on your Ham, it would be Fine for you without it.
However don't confuse putting sugar on Plain Pork (ewww) with putting Sweet things like Pineapple & Brown Sugar on Cured & Smoked Ham.

Bear

I do them often (doing one for Christmas as well) and my routine goes like this... I trim all of the smoke/bark/skin off that is on it now... Then I put a rub made into a paste all over it.. throw it in smoker @225 .. I start mopping with a mop sauce after a couple of hrs... then I start putting my glaze on (layered) a couple of hrs vefore finish... It only takes 6 hrs.. IT of 145 is more than safe.. It is already cooked your just reheating ...

I’ve had this ham at the S.Fl. Gathering and it is to die for!
Al

Great Question!!
I would say it depends on your taste.
I don't use sugar on any Beef, Pork, or Chicken, with the exception of Cured Bacon & Ham. I use the sugar to counteract the salt when I cure Bacon, and I do like some sweet on my Hams, Smoked or not.
I'm sure if you don't like sweet on your Ham, it would be Fine for you without it.
However don't confuse putting sugar on Plain Pork (ewww) with putting Sweet things like Pineapple & Brown Sugar on Cured & Smoked Ham.

Bear
Yeah, I’m not 100% opposed to using any sugar with meats. It’s just when sweet becomes the dominant flavor modality with meat that I don’t like it. So I typically don’t like most ham glazes, and I really don’t like pineapple with it. Or candied bacon? Let’s just say you’ll never have to fight me for that. You’ll see me in the corner, writhing around like Gollum. “He ruins it!!!”

But I recognize there are times when you really need sweetness to round out your flavor profile. Like in soups, or curry-type dishes, for instance. It’s amazing what a fairly small amount of sugar will do to round out the flavor in those (I use a coconut sugar or sometimes turbinado bc it adds a deep, amber-like flavor to it, as opposed to the pure sweet you get from granulated baking sugar). As with all things in life, it’s all about balance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky