Smoking a double smoked ham - bad idea?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoke it in one of those disposable aluminum pans and trow a glaze the last 20 minutes you will be in love.

LOL---It wouldn't hurt a bit in my book, but I love Ham as smoky as I can get it.

Maybe go with something mild, like Apple.

Bear
Funny you should say this, I just picked up a pack of applewood chunks yesterday.  :)  Thanks for the advice!  Really looking forward to smoking. 

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan, I agree with Smokin Al, I would love to see the Q-view on it.
popcorn.gif

I will post a pic when it's done.  :) 

Just wanted to ask another question while I'm here.  What do you guys prefer to use for rub (if any)?  I found a lot of people saying regular mustard with a dry rub over it, but haven't been able to find an answer on a good rub to use.

Should I apply this syrup and brown sugar "rub" before I start smoking, or towards the end?

I like to add some pineapple juice & slices to the mix, but I only put it on for about the last hour.

I pin the slices around the top half with toothpicks. Sometimes stick some cloves in too.

Bear

I think I will pass on the pineapple this time. :)

So far I've got:
Smoke at 225ish for 3 hours or so
Apple wood chunks
Brush on a maple syrup/brown sugar mixture an hour from finish
Take pics!

Anything I'm missing? Am I over analyzing things??? LOL

Last edited:
Not much on maple syrup, i do just like ev1 else but use cane syrup or molasses w/ the brown sugar.

Melt 1  stick butter, add 1 cup crushed pecans and cook on med heat till pecans darken a bit,

add 1 cup syrup & 1/2 cup brown sugar. Stir over low heat till sugar is dissolved.

Score ham b4 smoking . smoke ham over foil pan to catch any juices, 1 hour b4 ready  pour the glaze over the ham. smoke for last hour.

Excess glaze will fall into the pan w/ the juices , Stir the juice and glaze together and serve  over the ham slices.

EMAN   that glaze sounds quite tasty!     i believe it will be on my ham come Thursday

8ca87a4e_funny-kids-pictures-heres-to-ya.jpg

cheers to you my friend!

Last edited:
Pics, as requested.  Turned out pretty tasty! 

Before:

513505b6_ham1.jpg

After:

3f668621_ham2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky