Smoked wagyu chuck roast sandwiches

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indygreg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
picked up a wagyu chuck from lone mountain and tried making sandwiches.
  • dry brined with Lawrys and added 16 mesh pepper when I cooked.
  • Grilled it on the Weber gas grill at high heat for 3 minutes per side.
  • smoked on the traeger at 185 super smoke using amazin mixed pellets. Spritzed with emeril beef broth
  • at 130 degrees I put it in a foil pan uncovered with 3/4 inch of beef broth
  • pulled at 145. About 6 hours total.
  • sliced against the grain
sandwiches with cheddar cheese and bacon were spectacular.

so now I am inspired. It needed to be sliced thinner so I bit the bullet and got a deli slicer. Now I want to try 2 variations:
  • wonder if I should be trying the approach with a different cut. Top sirloin? Tri Tip?
  • my wife is all excited about her instapot. This thing looks interesting so I wonder what would happen if I pull it at 130 and finish it in the instapot with broth like I did on the smoker.
any suggestions?

greg

Attachments

• IMG_4067.jpeg
    IMG_4067.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4066.jpeg
    IMG_4066.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4186.jpeg
    IMG_4186.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 25
Looks good to me. I would mop that sandwich up with a little bowl of broth on the side for dipping!

I'm with Redi.....That great looking sammich calls for some of that broth. Get you a eye of round or the top sirloin and repeat your cook. Slice super thin and you will have Arbys beat on the roast beef.

Jim

Yeah that was the idea of finishing it with 3/4 inch of beef broth. I had a cup of that on the side (out of the picture). Letting the chuck release its own juice into the emeril broth was fantastic.

Reactions: Redicans
I'm with Redi.....That great looking sammich calls for some of that broth. Get you a eye of round or the top sirloin and repeat your cook. Slice super thin and you will have Arbys beat on the roast beef.

Jim
This is what I was wondering. How would top sirloin compare to chuck for this recipe

Reactions: JLeonard
I've done it with EOR not too long ago was excellent. Not too much difference in the two. Will be leaner than a chuck.

Jim

Looks tasty. If I were doing something to cook to 145F and slice for sandwiches I'd likely be looking at eye of round. Great for thicker slices hot or thin slices for lunch meat. I prefer to cook my chick to at least 165 or so for slicing but form e u usually shred it at 205F.

Looks tasty. If I were doing something to cook to 145F and slice for sandwiches I'd likely be looking at eye of round. Great for thicker slices hot or thin slices for lunch meat. I prefer to cook my chick to at least 165 or so for slicing but form e u usually shred it at 205F.
In my first test I actually did half ar 145 and the other half to 170. In the end I think I liked the 145 better. But both were a little tough. My thought was slicing it thin would help with this.

i dont mind spending more on the meat. I make a batch of this and freezer bag it and I am fed for quite a while. So I wondered about trying some better more marbled cuts. Maybe the top sirloin is worth a try.

had an old chuck in the freezer that we decided not to cook for thanksgiving because it wasn't very marbled so i did an experiment. smoked it at 130 then transferred it to an instant pot and cooked it for 30 min. my airprobe showed the IP got up to about 230. at 30 min the chuck was 180. then during the 15 min slow pressure release the pot dropped to 201 and the chuck climbed to 201. it was tough and not good for much. granted it was not a great piece of meat.

do i understand correctly that a large piece of meat like a chuck will get tougher before it gets more tender? i actually cut it in half at 130 and kept half on the smoker in foil. the smoker half was juicier and more tender than the IP half and it's temp only went to 160ish. IP recipes say that if a chuck is tough in the IP you should give it another 10 min. i wonder if i just needed to go longer. not really sure how an IP would push something through a stall and break down all the connective tissue in such a short time but people claim the make meat tender.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky