Seeing all those long time members no longer posting makes you wonder.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used to be an admin on a pepper board. I was one of a small group of people keeping the board alive while the owner neglected it for a few years before coming back.

I posted a pic I found, showing fingertip puppets representing the Ten Plagues from Exodus, which I thought was funny. A member complained that I was making fun of the Holocaust, and I was busted out of admin status. Later I described those events and the owner banned me completely. So I deleted the bookmark.

I think the main reason a lot of guys aren't around any more is because of the Platform change.
Especially older guys (Like Me) have a problem figuring out changes in computer stuff, and some just don't want to stick around long enough to learn it.
Jeff and his helpers are hard at work on it, but it takes awhile to get rid of the bugs on a Forum this Large.
I figure, I'm still here, and if I can learn the new set-up, anybody should be able to.

My 2 Cents,

Bear

..... ,some rave when ever somebody new asks a question that's been asked a lot,never bothers me as you can skip reading it but some want to snark at folks for not searching.....

funny you should mention that.
I find that too!
I have access to three different computers, and one of them will NOT allow the search function to work... AT ALL!
As well, my phone (IP6) is useless on forums. and the Search function does not work correctly on it either.
So, best to ask.

one thing I really notice on here, is the support, and general "Like" type comments.
on one forum I was on routinely, they started to delete them, and asked folks to stop posting them. If you had nothing to add, saying "Wow" adds nothing!
BUT I like those, as a show of support for folks trying to better their smokes, or just to get some "feel good" responses to help them in their smoking journey.

As well, when someone takes the time to make a short comment to better a smoke, OR protect from a health hazard, those are SO Valuable.

SMF is probably the most friendly and courteous forum where I've signed up as a member. Questions can get repetitive, but everyone new must start somewhere. And yes, life does get in the way, but it's always nice to share something with smokin' buddies. Time, temps, and techniques for one piece of meat can vary widely by style and equipment, but they all work. I like getting ideas here, sharing experience and knowledge, and keeping food safe to eat. I'm always learning something new. Heck, just this week I tried a different temp profile when smoking jerky, and smoked the most tender, thick cut jerky I've ever tasted. Life is good; smoking makes it taste even better.

SMF is probably the most friendly and courteous forum where I've signed up as a member. Questions can get repetitive, but everyone new must start somewhere. And yes, life does get in the way, but it's always nice to share something with smokin' buddies. Time, temps, and techniques for one piece of meat can vary widely by style and equipment, but they all work. I like getting ideas here, sharing experience and knowledge, and keeping food safe to eat. I'm always learning something new. Heck, just this week I tried a different temp profile when smoking jerky, and smoked the most tender, thick cut jerky I've ever tasted. Life is good; smoking makes it taste even better.

Do tell about this new jerky approach!!!! :)

One of the many, many friends I have made on here is a (now-deceased) member known as Ron P. He took me under his wing, so-to-speak, giving me advice when often needed. Made some very fine smoked chicken thighs, too!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/thanks-ron-p-rip.111872/

I miss Ron P.. he was a rascal and not easy to forget. He definitely left his mark on SMF. I'll never forget his smoked cheeto's.. it's in a thread around here somewhere:)

I think he even got banned a time or two:D

Thanks for the memory, Pops!

Yup---"Ron P" must have had Huge Wings, as their were many of us under his Wings.

RIP Ron P

Bear

I was pretty active here 10 to 12 years ago. I have three kids who are getting to ages where they don't need me as much (except as their personal ATM and Uber). I saw a few BBQ Pit Boys videos and it rekindled my interest.

I think the main reason a lot of guys aren't around any more is because of the Platform change.
Especially older guys (Like Me) have a problem figuring out changes in computer stuff, and some just don't want to stick around long enough to learn it.
Jeff and his helpers are hard at work on it, but it takes awhile to get rid of the bugs on a Forum this Large.
I figure, I'm still here, and if I can learn the new set-up, anybody should be able to.

My 2 Cents,

Bear
Ya Stubborn Ol' Bear!!!!

Not a long time member but I'm still around. I have big brisket going on its fifth hour right now and felt like reading about meat.

there's another smoking meat forum that completely lost my interest. Was a member there for several years.

I joined up a nearly 3 years ago...I guess that makes me "new rotation" I do appreciate all of the shared knowledge and ideas from the SMF.

Just a suggestion...some of the step-by-step posts with pictures should be in their own forum with subcategories. Like step-by-step Fatty or pulled pork or jerky. The forum moderators should decide which are worthy of special forum status.

Ed

My 2 Cents,

Bear

Really Bear...I think you're more computer literate than many of us and your Step by Step is awesome...even helps old guys like me get through it sometimes :)

I’ve been moderating forums on and off since 2002, and have noticed this reigns true. No matter how much people like each other and think they have the perfect community, the inevitable rotation will happen.
Yep. As an admin on another forum, I concur 100%. People come and people go...life happens and people move on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky