Ribs Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I've been using the 2-2-1 method for the past year and simply love the way the ribs come out. I'm using my Traeger Pro Series 34. But like all cooks, I'd like to experiment a bit and try a few new methods.

I want to run this by the group and get your thoughts.

1. Dry rub and smoke for 2 hours at 225
  2. Flip and smoke for an additional 2 hours
  3. Instead of saucing, wrapping in foil, and cooking for an additional hour, I came across a video where they were sauced, wrapped, and placed in a warmer at 175 for one hour.

Has anyone ever done this and do you see any difference in taste and texture?

Try it. Might give the ribs a different texture than your use to if you always do the 2-2-1 method. If it’s baby backs or St. Louis ribs I think it would work. But spare ribs may red a little more time. Good twonracks together do one your usual 2-2-1 and try the new method and see what you like more

Go no wrap to the finish, just once.
This is my go to almost always now.

20220403_211300.jpg

Might have had a small slip with the knife for a taste test :emoji_blush:
Look how moist they are! Done on my Green Mountain pellet smoker.
But the only way you'll know for sure is trying different ways...what you like is gonna be different than what others like. And I never remove the membrane anymore.

Ryan

This is my go to almost always now.

View attachment 634622

Might have had a small slip with the knife for a taste test :emoji_blush:
Look how moist they are! Done on my Green Mountain pellet smoker.
But the only way you'll know for sure is trying different ways...what you like is gonna be different than what others like. And I never remove the membrane anymore.

Ryan
Looks delicious, i need to do some ribs next, did you use a smoke tube? That color looks awesome.

Just picked up two untrimmed racks of spares. $2.18/lb at Winco. That's about the cheapest I've seen in a while. One I'll keep in the freezer, the other will be smoked on Father's Day. It will be rubbed, smoked start to finish no wrap, and probably sauced, half of it anyway. Temp? Wherever the Kettle settles, but I'll set it up for 275°F. The only thing that will change is the clock if it settles higher or lower.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky