Rib Roast: For mother-day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
It all started out last year around Thanksgiving. The local grocer had bone-in rib roasts on sale for a tad under 5.00 dollars a pound. So I stocked up on three of them. Normally I don't like freezing raw meat for later usage but I couldn't resist these. Since the the wife had already cooked two of them, and they came out pretty good - but they weren't real good. So I finally got my chance to earn my keep. I break out the WSM and fired up some RO(first time using the brand) and a few chunks of hickory. I will agree that RO does burn cleaner and longer then KBB. So a big shout out to noboundaries noboundaries a.k.a the Charcoal Nerd for the tip. I also got the chance to use the inkbird for the first time. The inkbird worked great as expected. My only complaint was trying to read the display. My old eyes aren't what they once used to be.

Now off to the races...

Couldn't honestly tell you how big this one was, but it had 4 bones. Added some L&P, salt, pepper, onion and gralic powder to the outside. Set the WSM up to run between 225 and 230* and let her fly.
DSC00947.JPG

After about 5 plus hours I pulled her off at about 135* and let her rest a spell.
DSC00949.JPG

Another shot...
DSC00950.JPG

First slice...for mama.
DSC00951.JPG

and my future slice
DSC00952.JPG

Had too much grate space wasting away so I added in a quarter ham from Mckenzie's for some double smoked ham salad.

DSC00948.JPG

Sorry no plated shots, but it was served with twice backed potatoes, and a broccoli cauliflower melody.

Thanks for taking a peak.

Chris

Oh Boy!!
Fantastic!!
Wish I was there, Chris!!
2 of my favorites---Double Smoked Ham & a Prime Rib made just about like I do them!!! MMMmmmm.....
MMMM, That reminds me I'm about due for some of both of these items!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

that is delicous looking, that should keep you in good graces for a while!! I always freeze meat when I get a deal on it I really don't see a difference in taste.

That looks great Chris. Points on that cook for sure. I could eat rib roast every day if possible.

Oh and shout out on that PBR I saw lurking in the background!

Oh Boy!!
Fantastic!!
Wish I was there, Chris!!
2 of my favorites---Double Smoked Ham & a Prime Rib made just about like I do them!!! MMMmmmm.....
MMMM, That reminds me I'm about due for some of both of these items!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thank you very much bear - much appreciated. Two of our favorites also.

Chris
p.s. I have been known to take a little peak at your recipes every once in a while - for inspiration purposes.

that is delicous looking, that should keep you in good graces for a while!! I always freeze meat when I get a deal on it I really don't see a difference in taste.

Thanks Jim appreciate it. I don't dislike freezing meat, I'm more of a spur of the moment type of cook. I don't like planning ahead. I prefer to go to the grocers on the day of the cook and pick up what I feel like that day.

Chris

That looks great Chris. Points on that cook for sure. I could eat rib roast every day if possible.

Oh and shout out on that PBR I saw lurking in the background!

Thanks Vol for the kind words and like. Maybe not everyday but pretty darn close to it. Yeah that dang PBR can keeps sneaking into the picture. Kinda like a where's Waldo syndrome.

Nice work . That's some goods eats .

Thank you chop, it was to much for just the wife and I but we enjoyed it.

Chris

Beeeautiful looking roast, Chris. Glad to hear you're another RO convert.

Thank you Ray for the compliment and like appreciate it. I probably should have bought more then ten bags. They won't last all that long around here if we ever get nicer weather.

Great minds think alike Chris. Your's turned out very nice mine was Med all the way through.

Thanks Joe, I don't mind Med, but the wife like her steaks on the rarer side.

Chris

Thank you very much Aaron - appreciate it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky