Planning time for a smoked prime rib?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phrogpilot73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
First time smoking Prime Rib, and I can't really find a solid "planning number", so I can guesstimate a time for my in-laws to come over for dinner. I'm planning on running my smoker at 250, and pulling between 120-125 internal. Roughly how many min/lb should I plan for? 30-ish? It's bone-in, but not tomahawk (Whole Foods had them on sale, so win for me).

Hit the search in the right upper corner….enter “smoked prime rib” member “bearcarver”.

He has/had many cooks in his “step by step” listing. Look them over. Should give you a pretty good time frame.

JIM

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
First time smoking Prime Rib, and I can't really find a solid "planning number", so I can guesstimate a time for my in-laws to come over for dinner. I'm planning on running my smoker at 250, and pulling between 120-125 internal. Roughly how many min/lb should I plan for? 30-ish? It's bone-in, but not tomahawk (Whole Foods had them on sale, so win for me).
As JLeonard JLeonard suggested, search for threads by Bearcarver for some ideas. Here's one, post #107...

Or this...

Reactions: JLeonard
I have made the reverse seared prime rib recipe below several times and most of my family loves it. The prime rib picks up just enough smoke from the lump charcoal without any wood chips or chunks. To be fair, my wife hates it. She doesn't like the smoky flavor and prefers an oven-roasted prime rib like Lawry's the Prime Rib makes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky