• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Crummy weather outside this past weekend. Rain, hail, snow, wind we had it all. So what better to do than fire up the 14.5" WSM and smoke a turkey breast! Picked up a bone-in 8.75 pound breast. Cut the neck portion off and some of the loose skin for stock. Seasoned it with SPOG inside and out. Air dried in the fridge for 8 hours. Ran the WSM with KBB and Apple wood @ 325°. Didn't get any cook photos the weather was super moist and with the wind I didn't want to open the smoker as the temps were holding nicely. Bird took right around 2.5 hours to hit 165°. Wrapped in foil and rested 30 minutes before slicing. Super tasty and nice and juicy. While the bird was cooking I make a small batch of stock from the neck and skin. I used that to make stuffing and gravy.

48935660511_af9e9716d6_c.jpg

Seasoned breast air drying in the fridge

48935846907_1bcc491125_c.jpg

Golden Nectar that I used to for the stuffing and gravy. I added bay leaves, pepper corns, salt, and garlic cloves with the neck and skin simmered in 6 cups of water. Strained for clear broth.

48935661621_d465a69d8e_c.jpg

Right out of the smoker. After this shot I wrapped in foil and let the bird rest for 30 minutes prior to slicing.

48935844322_16c978b07a_c.jpg

Didn't get much color. Fast cook and the apple wood can account for that. Still had a nice smoked flavor.

48935655916_ea7102e7d6_c.jpg

Juicy!

48935837907_b811465ee8_c.jpg

Plated. Sorry no taters or cranberries.

48935105878_2260ffff5c_c.jpg

Yum!

I don't like to waste food. So with the carcass I made Turkey Super Stock. I will use some to make bean soup this week. The rest I will measure out into 2 cups portions and freeze. I'll end up with around 2 gallons of stock from this batch.

I use my Ogallala Cream Can for making stock. The low pressure cook reduces the time I have to spend simmering.

48935657191_e7205ecd70_c.jpg

Yep all of those veggies go into the pot. Also not shown, Kombu, peppercorns, juniper berries and bay leaves.

48935844072_d326befd89_c.jpg

Carcass loaded into the pot.

48935842492_1e22b02bf1_c.jpg

Simmered for 12 hours under low pressure. When I get home from work today I will strain everything out and be left with some good clear broth.

Hell yeah that looks great! Don't you love smoking in crap weather? Something satisfying about it when you get done! Points for sure!

looks fabulous! cant wait to make some of that soon! Nice job!

And points for cookin in the adverse weather - I skipped out on the grill and smoker this weekend due to snow and rain...

Awesome Dirtsailor nice moist breast my way don't need taters or for that matter the brock either just the turkey and dressing.

Warren

And points for cookin in the adverse weather - I skipped out on the grill and smoker this weekend due to snow and rain...

Crummy weather doesn't keep us from smoking!

46305325755_d4a70738b2_c.jpg

32171490766_676a25f54f_c.jpg

Hell yeah that looks great! Don't you love smoking in crap weather? Something satisfying about it when you get done! Points for sure!

Man that may be the juiciest turkey breast I have ever seen!! Great job.

That turned out gorgeous.

Awesome Dirtsailor nice moist breast my way don't need taters or for that matter the brock either just the turkey and dressing.

Warren

Thank you! It was a tasty meal and we even have enough left over for a few sandwiches!

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky