PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al, thanks for all your help here.
I put a very small amount of rub on my ribs before I put them to rest in the fridge, It does impart a bit of flavor that I finish with the addition of more rub when the ribs leave the smoker. My rub does not have a huge percentage of salt or sugar in it, so rubbing them twice gets me the flavor I want.

Al, thanks for all your help here.
I put a very small amount of rub on my ribs before I put them to rest in the fridge, It does impart a bit of flavor that I finish with the addition of more rub when the ribs leave the smoker. My rub does not have a huge percentage of salt or sugar in it, so rubbing them twice gets me the flavor I want.

That's great to hear. I'm glad you have a rib recipe that you can rely on time after time!
Al

Al, thanks for posting this great tutorial. I am new to smoking, but have made some good tasting ribs already. My problem has been getting it tender without being overdone.

Currently I marinate my ribs without honey and sugar, then use the 3-2-1 method at 225. For the last hour I add the honey and sugar to the marinade and baste the ribs. Normally I turn the smoker up to 350 and only put them on for about 15-20 minutes. The taste is good, fall off the bone, but seems overdone.

I am going to adjust my process to your 3-x-x process, where I still do the first 3 hours at 225, then foil it with what I currently do (add sugar, honey, butter and some apple juice).

With the foil phase you indicate that you decide how long it should be in the foil based on the temperature. How do you calculate this?

For the last phase I will again baste with my marinate + honey and sugar, but turn up my grill (GMG) as high as it can go.

Thanks again for posting this tutorial.

With the foil phase you indicate that you decide how long it should be in the foil based on the temperature. How do you calculate this?

I check the temp of the ribs at the 3 hour mark, if they are around 165, then about 1 hour in the foil will bring them up to around 190. That is when I finish them at high heat. I would leave them on the grate until you get to 165, sometimes it may take longer than 3 hours or it may be shorter. I can almost guarantee that an hour in foil will bring them up to 190, but check them at an hour & see where they are, you may need more foil time, or they may be done in less than 1 hour. The only way to tell is to check them. You will have to experiment a bit to get it exact. No 2 smokers work the same. Good luck & let me know how they turn out!
Al

I check the temp of the ribs at the 3 hour mark, if they are around 165, then about 1 hour in the foil will bring them up to around 190. That is when I finish them at high heat. I would leave them on the grate until you get to 165, sometimes it may take longer than 3 hours or it may be shorter. I can almost guarantee that an hour in foil will bring them up to 190, but check them at an hour & see where they are, you may need more foil time, or they may be done in less than 1 hour. The only way to tell is to check them. You will have to experiment a bit to get it exact. No 2 smokers work the same. Good luck & let me know how they turn out!
Al

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure where to take time out from the 3-2-1 method, but getting it to 165 first makes a lot of sense.

I see you also provided a rub recipe. Thanks! I will try it at some time, but for the next couple of times I will still use my marinate and basting sauce until I get the/your process worked out.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't sure where to take time out from the 3-2-1 method, but getting it to 165 first makes a lot of sense.

I see you also provided a rub recipe. Thanks! I will try it at some time, but for the next couple of times I will still use my marinate and basting sauce until I get the/your process worked out.

Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Your very welcome!
Al

Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

Ribs go on the foil meat side down.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

It's actually so full of juice that it's bulging out.

Now just a little water on the bones.

Into the smoker.

I guess Judy is getting ready to eat some ribs!! Are they done yet??

Checking them after about 1 hour in the foil.

193! Perfect!! Now for Al's famous BBQ sauce.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

OK there done, lets just check the final IT.

That's what were looking for. Perfect ribs again! WOO HOO!!

Great bark, super juicy, but not quite fall off the bone.

Here's the money shot!!!

We stood at the cutting board eating ribs. Never got them on a plate.

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Thank-you for looking and happy smoking!

Al
I know this is an old post but I am glad it popped up again. Great way to do ribs. I double like it!!

Reactions: Steff3 and SmokinAl
Just curious as most do 2 2 1 or longer how are those not overcooked as this ones a 3 1 none. gonna do my first rib cook this week so checking my ducks..

I did do the “3-2-1” a couple of my first tries, and they did indeed come out over done - as in ‘fall off the bone’ rather than a tender but clean bite ... not bad, but I prefer the latter - tho was trickier walking that line between under/over done.

Reactions: negolien
Just curious as most do 2 2 1 or longer how are those not overcooked as this ones a 3 1 none. gonna do my first rib cook this week so checking my ducks..

The whole purpose of this thread is to show you that no matter what method you use to get your ribs to the desired IT, which in our case is 195. So whether you foil or don't foil, or run your smoker at 225 or 300. None of that matters only the final IT of the meat, that is all that matters. For FOTB you would want a final IT of 200-205.
Al

Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

Ribs go on the foil meat side down.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

It's actually so full of juice that it's bulging out.

Now just a little water on the bones.

Into the smoker.

I guess Judy is getting ready to eat some ribs!! Are they done yet??

Checking them after about 1 hour in the foil.

193! Perfect!! Now for Al's famous BBQ sauce.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

OK there done, lets just check the final IT.

That's what were looking for. Perfect ribs again! WOO HOO!!

Great bark, super juicy, but not quite fall off the bone.

Here's the money shot!!!

We stood at the cutting board eating ribs. Never got them on a plate.

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Thank-you for looking and happy smoking!

Al
Al, I'm trying this method this weekend but I have one question... I don't have a gas grill as I have gotten rid of since I haven't used it in like 6 years, so what can I do about the membrane at the end of the cook? Thanks

Al, I'm trying this method this weekend but I have one question... I don't have a gas grill as I have gotten rid of since I haven't used it in like 6 years, so what can I do about the membrane at the end of the cook? Thanks

When the ribs are done the membrane will peel right off real easily. So after the foil stage or if your not foiling just take it to your desired IT. Let the ribs rest about 10 minutes & slice them up. The hotter they are the easier the membrane will come off, so I take it off right away then let the ribs rest.
Al

Reactions: Dunstablegrizzly
Al, I did my ribs today using your method, except for leaving the membrane on. Maybe next time I will remember to leave the membrane on. I just used Jeff's original rub and some Sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce. It was very tasty. I basically followed your times, 3 hours naked (165F-170F IT), then 1 hour wrapped in foil (195F-200F IT). I upped the temperature on my pellet grill to 500 for the last few minutes to gt the BBQ sauce to set. My wife really liked it, so I think it is a winner. Thanks again for all the advice.
IMG_0755c.jpg

Reactions: negolien and Steff3
Al, I did my ribs today using your method, except for leaving the membrane on. Maybe next time I will remember to leave the membrane on. I just used Jeff's original rub and some Sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce. It was very tasty. I basically followed your times, 3 hours naked (165F-170F IT), then 1 hour wrapped in foil (195F-200F IT). I upped the temperature on my pellet grill to 500 for the last few minutes to gt the BBQ sauce to set. My wife really liked it, so I think it is a winner. Thanks again for all the advice.
View attachment 432455

Your very welcome & your ribs look absolutely delicious!
Al

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky