Rib membrane vent

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have done it both ways but just leave it alone now, my thought is that I don't flip ribs and the membrane keeps the juices from leaking out as fast, also no meat on that side and I still have a nice smoke ring sometimes all the way through depending on how thick they are,

Used to remove the membrane but now I just score it with a sharp knife and let it go. Can't tell any taste difference with membrane on or off.
Same, I used to fight the membrane also then just gave up and score in a cross pattern and cook, I can't tell the difference with or without either.

Reactions: jcam222
Quick rage post lol. I would do ribs far more often if it weren't for the membranes. I worked at a few racks of back ribs forever and couldn't remove much of the membrane at all. I use the butter knife under the membrane and a paper towel to grip etc. I have had racks where it comes off like a glove and these where I just friggin gave up. I know Al does then membrane on and burns it off at the end on a screaming hot grill. Not sure I have time for all that. I may try to pull the membrane before saucing once they've cooked for a few hours. Truly drives me nuts and has me constantly skipping over ribs to skip the frustration. Vent over lol.
Paper Towel makes it easy ...... only takes a minute or two .....go slow to go fast to peel the membrane

Paper Towel makes it easy ...... only takes a minute or two .....go slow to go fast to peel the membrane
Yep I know the paper towel grip , butter knife under the membrane etc, I've peeled a bunch and some come off like a glove. Bottom line is some racks just do not cooperate. A lot of accomplished folks on here don't sweat it when that's the case and I'm joining the club lol. If it comes off great and if not rolling with it. Have several racks going now

Yep I know the paper towel grip , butter knife under the membrane etc, I've peeled a bunch and some come off like a glove. Bottom line is some racks just do not cooperate. A lot of accomplished folks on here don't sweat it when that's the case and I'm joining the club lol. If it comes off great and if not rolling with it. Have several racks going now
I like to remove it but if it’s stubborn and doesn’t come off like a glove it gets cooked with it. I don’t even have a second thought about it… I do a ton of beef ribs and always leave it on. That is one plus with the local baby backs I’ve been getting lately, loin mean trimmed and membrane removed.

Since you have some rolling membrane on you can see if it bothers you now….if not then your prep work just got easier!

Right there with ya and they can be a 😢 sometimes. I've started going in front the middle of the rack and after pring it up with a butter knife, working my finger in to remove. Seems a tad bit easier.
We were prepping ribs for a comp last yr and the 2 Swift ribs pulled fairly easy.
Moved on the the Duroc pack and I was about to throw them in the fire! Then my SIL , with his 20/20 vision took a look.
It was already removed from the butcher🤣. It's bad to be old AND hard of sight!

Keith

Since this one is still going... SmokinAl SmokinAl BEATS ME. Watched some cooking show DDD maybe where the the owner pulled the membrane off right after taking off smoker. I remember he said he used to try and do it before but was a PITA but comes off easily after smoking.

I am the same, I leave it on. The one time I was able to remove it fully, we felt the Ribs were very dry compared to with membrane on. So we leave on all of the time now.

Quick rage post lol. I would do ribs far more often if it weren't for the membranes. I worked at a few racks of back ribs forever and couldn't remove much of the membrane at all. I use the butter knife under the membrane and a paper towel to grip etc. I have had racks where it comes off like a glove and these where I just friggin gave up. I know Al does then membrane on and burns it off at the end on a screaming hot grill. Not sure I have time for all that. I may try to pull the membrane before saucing once they've cooked for a few hours. Truly drives me nuts and has me constantly skipping over ribs to skip the frustration. Vent over lol.
I smoke my ribs naked with the membrane on and unsauced (I add sauce on the plate).
The membrane is less than paper thin and pull right off if you pull the bone/meat while it's hot.

I'm an oddball in the fact that when I finish my ribs pull them out of the smoker and when they are on the trap I flip them meat side down and use some tongs to pull out all the bones (it's too hot to use fingers to pull out the bones). Shen doing this the extra paper dry paper thin membrane comes right off with the bones.
When done I have "boneless" ribs I can fork and knife because if I eat with my hands I will wear all of my food hahaha :D

One more thing, check out my super amazing successful experiment making "boneless" ribs using a pork butt I would cut into 3 flat slabs and smoke like ribs. They are sooooo good!
r6rever-png.png

Finally, if you finish ribs on a hot flaming grill bone side down you can basically burn away the membrane. Just figure out at what temp to pull the ribs and grill em so that you don't over cook them :D

I hope this info helps :)

I smoke my ribs naked with the membrane on and unsauced (I add sauce on the plate).
The membrane is less than paper thin and pull right off if you pull the bone/meat while it's hot.

I'm an oddball in the fact that when I finish my ribs pull them out of the smoker and when they are on the trap I flip them meat side down and use some tongs to pull out all the bones (it's too hot to use fingers to pull out the bones). Shen doing this the extra paper dry paper thin membrane comes right off with the bones.
When done I have "boneless" ribs I can fork and knife because if I eat with my hands I will wear all of my food hahaha :D

One more thing, check out my super amazing successful experiment making "boneless" ribs using a pork butt I would cut into 3 flat slabs and smoke like ribs. They are sooooo good!
View attachment 685253

Finally, if you finish ribs on a hot flaming grill bone side down you can basically burn away the membrane. Just figure out at what temp to pull the ribs and grill em so that you don't over cook them :D

I hope this info helps :)
When time permits I'm definitely going to try the screaming hot grill finish. I like a little char on the sauces side too. Also going to try zwiller zwiller method. I have about 60 lbs of back ribs frozen now so lots of experimenting lol.

I worked at a place where we did ribs alot when I was yo9nger. we had to peel cases and cases of ribs. I just bend the rib by the 2-3 or 3-4 rib and it almost always pulls away ever so slightly from the bone and i just pull from there. Never had an issue.

I worked at a place where we did ribs alot when I was yo9nger. we had to peel cases and cases of ribs. I just bend the rib by the 2-3 or 3-4 rib and it almost always pulls away ever so slightly from the bone and i just pull from there. Never had an issue.
This I will have to try!

Jim

I'll give it a go next time. I still think a lot of it relates to the actual ribs

If you want to take it off , and have issues , take a sharp knife and cut the membrane on top of a bone . Then pull it sideways like a piece of tape .

I have about 60 lbs of back ribs frozen now so lots of experimenting lol.
Jeff you should try the single double cook method I've been doing on a few .
I fully cook the ribs , and hold them overnight in the fridge . The next day I cut them into singles and put them in a foil pan covered in sauce . Let them heat up indirect on a grill . Then take some out over the flame , then back into the sauced pan . Like doing beer bath with brats .
Seems like it's over cooking them , but I've done it 3 times now and the kids tear 'em up .

If you want to take it off , and have issues , take a sharp knife and cut the membrane on top of a bone . Then pull it sideways like a piece of tape .

Jeff you should try the single double cook method I've been doing on a few .
I fully cook the ribs , and hold them overnight in the fridge . The next day I cut them into singles and put them in a foil pan covered in sauce . Let them heat up indirect on a grill . Then take some out over the flame , then back into the sauced pan . Like doing beer bath with brats .
Seems like it's over cooking them , but I've done it 3 times now and the kids tear 'em up .
I'll give it a go for sure.

Large on this but…

Baby backs i find almost impossible to remove membranes and pretty much gave up even trying. I get them at Costco in the three pack if that matters.

most others I find the membranes pull right off like they “should”

Reactions: jcam222
Large on this but…

Baby backs i find almost impossible to remove membranes and pretty much gave up even trying. I get them at Costco in the three pack if that matters.

most others I find the membranes pull right off like they “should”
I was just thinking yesterday I have much fewer issues with the membrane on spares. The racks of BB I did yesterday with the membrane on were a non issue for me or others. Definitely wont sweat it again.

Reactions: sandyut and gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky