PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I will definitely try this method.
I'm new to the site and to smoking my own stuff and am very glad I found this post.

I agree with you Al, in that I do not like my ribs falling off the bone either. I prefer more of a competition style I guess. Tender, but with a little bite/chew left.
When I go to a BBQ restaurant, I ask if the ribs are fall off the bone. If the answer is yes, I order something else.

I will definitely try this method.
I'm new to the site and to smoking my own stuff and am very glad I found this post.

I agree with you Al, in that I do not like my ribs falling off the bone either. I prefer more of a competition style I guess. Tender, but with a little bite/chew left.
When I go to a BBQ restaurant, I ask if the ribs are fall off the bone. If the answer is yes, I order something else.

Hey Paul, when you give this a try, let me know how you like it!!
Al

Al I would like to thank you, figured i would try your tutorial on ribs yesterday. Times and temps were pretty much spot on. I did bump temp up to 250° the last 1/2 hr but probe temp went off @ 195° with the timer not more than 15 seconds behind it. Got a little carried away on the grill on the one side, but turned out excellent according to the wife ( and I guess that's all that matters :emoji_wink:)
20190420_171103.jpg 20190420_171146.jpg

Your ribs look fantastic Winter!!!
Gotta keep the wife happy!!
I'm glad that you liked my method!!
Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for sharing your excellent method. I also like my ribs like you do.

Tried your method with four rack and they came out great but My times were so different, took about half of yours. Smoker temp 225. Hit internal 163 @ 1.5 hrs. Wrapped, hit 193 @ 30 mins.

Any ideas why? I can’t work it out. Rib thickness?

857184BC-1D9E-4A87-ACA7-8AD495A15994.jpeg

386752E1-EA2A-48F7-AF07-694630E163DC.jpeg

Hi Al,

Thanks for sharing your excellent method. I also like my ribs like you do.

Tried your method with four rack and they came out great but My times were so different, took about half of yours. Smoker temp 225. Hit internal 163 @ 1.5 hrs. Wrapped, hit 193 @ 30 mins.

Any ideas why? I can’t work it out. Rib thickness?

View attachment 394321

View attachment 394322

That is what makes this method so consistent. You went by temp, not time.
If you did the normal 3-2-1, your ribs would have been way overcooked.
It may be the thickness of the meat or just the texture of the meat.
There are a lot of variables involved.
Next time they may take twice as long, you just never know!
The whole idea of this thread was to show that no matter what temp you cook at, or the condition of your ribs. Whether you wrap or don't wrap or any other number of variables. Your ribs will consistently be the same, because you are going by the finish temp. I'm very happy to hear your ribs were a success!!
Al

Reactions: eberleb
Thanks for the tips Al! I tried this today for my first ever smoke. My wife said it was amazing and I even got my kids to eat it and ask for more, a feat of Biblical proportions.
IMG_9929.JPG
IMG_9931.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: Jabiru
Best ribs I've ever made yesterday (sorry no pics) using the temp part of this method. I didn't really change my procedure other than I cooked to temperature. I'll definitely continue to use temp as my guide to when they are done. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Al! I tried this today for my first ever smoke. My wife said it was amazing and I even got my kids to eat it and ask for more, a feat of Biblical proportions. View attachment 398140 View attachment 398141 View attachment 398142

View attachment 398187 Another slab going on using Al’s technique. They always turn out great.

Thanks Al for the guidance here. Fathers Day ribs were a huge success because of you.
View attachment 398244

View attachment 398245

View attachment 398246
Best ribs I've ever made yesterday (sorry no pics) using the temp part of this method. I didn't really change my procedure other than I cooked to temperature. I'll definitely continue to use temp as my guide to when they are done. Thanks for the advise.

I'm very happy to hear all you guys had such success with your ribs!
Just like you I had ribs for Father's Day too!!
The neighbors came over with potato salad & we just had to have a pan of beans under the ribs!
Judy made homemade ice cream for dessert!
It was a good day!
Al

Question; Why wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight? (I saw you mentioned you stopped doing it over night)
Great tutorial and amazing looking ribs too btw

Question; Why wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight? (I saw you mentioned you stopped doing it over night)
Great tutorial and amazing looking ribs too btw

The longer you leave the meat in the saran wrap the more flavor it will impart onto the meat. I stopped doing it overnight, cause I like to taste the pork flavor with just a hint of the rub. It's a personal preference & I still will sometimes leave a rack in the fridge overnight, but it's usually because I don't want any prep work to do the day of the smoke, other than just firing up the smoker. For instance I have my whole July 4th meal ready for the smoker & it has been in the fridge all night. So around noon I'll fire up the smoker & all I have to do is put the food in at different times during the afternoon. All the prep is done!
Al

Reactions: HHYak
Great thread, Thanks Al. The 3-2-1 method isn't working for me and I think your method may be the one I am looking for---Thanks again.

Your very welcome!
Please let me know how it works out for you!
Al

The longer you leave the meat in the saran wrap the more flavor it will impart onto the meat. I stopped doing it overnight, cause I like to taste the pork flavor with just a hint of the rub. It's a personal preference & I still will sometimes leave a rack in the fridge overnight, but it's usually because I don't want any prep work to do the day of the smoke, other than just firing up the smoker. For instance I have my whole July 4th meal ready for the smoker & it has been in the fridge all night. So around noon I'll fire up the smoker & all I have to do is put the food in at different times during the afternoon. All the prep is done!
Al

That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the response and I'll be testing out your amazing method very soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky