PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If it were my grill I would do a trial run with a couple of temp gauges at different locations on the grill grates. That is the only true way to find out if the controller on your smoker is accurate. I suspect that when you set it to 225, your really cooking at a much higher temp.
Al
I'll do that this. Suggestions on guages?

I'll do that this. Suggestions on guages?

The cheapest way is to go to Walmart & get a couple of oven therms, they are about $5 each. If you want something permanent that you can use for the meat & the pit temp, there are several multi-probe remote units on the market to choose from, but they will be more expensive.
Al

How do I PM SmokingAL for rib rub recipe?

Hey Dog,
I PM'd you my rub recipe!
Al

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I tried it out this weekend and made some killer ribs. Thanks Al!
IMG_20190221_192714.jpg

Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

Ribs go on the foil meat side down.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

It's actually so full of juice that it's bulging out.

Now just a little water on the bones.

Into the smoker.

I guess Judy is getting ready to eat some ribs!! Are they done yet??

Checking them after about 1 hour in the foil.

193! Perfect!! Now for Al's famous BBQ sauce.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

OK there done, lets just check the final IT.

That's what were looking for. Perfect ribs again! WOO HOO!!

Great bark, super juicy, but not quite fall off the bone.

Here's the money shot!!!

We stood at the cutting board eating ribs. Never got them on a plate.

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Thank-you for looking and happy smoking!

Al

This is a great post, thanks for all the hard work!

Many of you who knew me in the past know that I have been tinkering with my rib recipe for years. This comes from the fact that everybody around here likes fall off the bone ribs except me. I like tender juicy ribs, but what I don't like is taking a bite & having the bone slip out & a big chunk of meat hanging down on my chin. So my task was to find a rib that would satisfy the fall off the bone group & me too. I achieved that a few times, but could never do it 2 times in a row, that is until now. I now smoke the ribs by TEMP, not time. For the ribs that satisfy all of us the finish IT needs to be 195. Now if you try this recipe I would shoot for that same IT the first time. Then you may want to adjust for your particular taste. Maybe 200 or 205, or even 185, but the thing is they will be the same every time you smoke them. It doesn't matter if your a foil or non foil guy, whatever way you cook the ribs your focus should be on the finish temp. Personally I like to put the ribs in foil for 45 minutes to an hour, but I determine that time by the IT at 3 hours. Rub, foiling liquid, smoker temp, sauce. These have an effect on the final taste, but the thing that determines the final texture of the ribs is the IT. You will need a good therm like a thermapen, it has a real thin tip & will go between the bones real easy.

Next you need to start out with a good piece of meat. I stopped buying the cryovac 3 packs at Sam's because you really can't see what your getting. The one sandwiched in the center is usually not a rack I would buy if I was only buying 1 rack. So I get my ribs a our local grocery Publix. They have a good meat Dept. & will get you the rack your looking for. Second I DON'T TAKE OFF THE MEMBRANE. Why, because I think it holds the moisture in. I always finish the ribs on a screaming hot gas grill for a couple of minutes and that turns the membrane to dust. So now that you know the secret to perfect ribs everytime. Lets get the show going. Here's the rack that I'm starting with. Thick, meaty, with good marbelling.

Coat with mustard & my pork rub. It's just a simple rub. Use your favorite rub or PM me for mine.

Next wrap with plastic wrap & into the fridge for a couple of hours. I stopped leaving them in the fridge overnight, because I thought the rub tended to overpower the pork flavor.

Out of the fridge & into the smoker. Since this is a relatively short smoke I'm going to use the Smoke Vault. Red oak for wood.

Here it is ready to go.

I always leave the ribs in the smoke for 3 hours, then check the IT. Doesn't matter what smoker I'm using. Smoker temp is 225. At 3 hours I pull it out & foil.

Now is when I check the IT for the first time. This is how I determine how long to leave the ribs in foil.

As you can see the IT is 168. If I foil for about 1 hour the IT should be in the 190+ range, which would be perfect.

I just use butter, raw sugar, some pork rub & about 1/4 cup of water in the foil.

This is why I don't take the membrane off. You can see all the juice accumulated under the membrane.

Into the smoker.

Next into a really hot grill for just a couple of minutes. You have to watch these real close so as not to burn them. I like to see the BBQ sauce bubbling on top before I take the ribs out.

Here's the money shot!!!

I hope some of you will try this. I know it goes against everything we have been taught, but I'm always looking to reinvent the wheel.

Al

Here it is ready to go.

Into the smoker.

Here's the money shot!!!

Al

Would your IT’s work with Side Ribs?

I don't know why it wouldn't.
I would just do your ribs like you always do & see what IT you like them at, then you will always be able to repeat that same outcome.
Al

I don't know why it wouldn't.
I would just do your ribs like you always do & see what IT you like them at, then you will always be able to repeat that same outcome.
Al
That was my first attempt at ribs, wife is a huge Instant Pot fan and that’s how it’s done here!!!
I had 3 pieces, one was 185F and was stuck to the bone, the other two were 193F and 197F and were perfect. Didn’t quite fall off the bone but didn’t take much effort to get them off the bone. Excellent tutorial! Keep them coming, sure give a Newbie the confidence to try new things. Thank you.

That was my first attempt at ribs, wife is a huge Instant Pot fan and that’s how it’s done here!!!
I had 3 pieces, one was 185F and was stuck to the bone, the other two were 193F and 197F and were perfect. Didn’t quite fall off the bone but didn’t take much effort to get them off the bone. Excellent tutorial! Keep them coming, sure give a Newbie the confidence to try new things. Thank you.

That's great to hear Murray!
Now you know what IT you like & can do the same ribs anytime you want on any smoker or grill!!
Al

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I tried it out this weekend and made some killer ribs. Thanks Al!
View attachment 388973
Ditto re having this thread bumped. I always seem to bounce between still a little too tough and stuck to bone, to FOTB. And have always removed the membrane to get more smoke into it. Anxious to try this IT method. Thanks Al !
Out of town this week, but after Tax Day will be a good way to lick my wounds.

Ditto re having this thread bumped. I always seem to bounce between still a little too tough and stuck to bone, to FOTB. And have always removed the membrane to get more smoke into it. Anxious to try this IT method. Thanks Al !
Out of town this week, but after Tax Day will be a good way to lick my wounds.

Your very welcome!
And be sure to let me know how your ribs turn out!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky