• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beef_chief

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 18, 2018
Smoked my first ribs this morning! Stuck to the classic 3-2-1 method since it was my first time, but honestly I’ll do it the exact same way next time because I love how they turned out. Cooked on my Weber performer kettle with charcoal/hickory chips and a water pan down below. Olive oil and lots of rub first, then spritzing with apple cider vinegar during the first 3 hours, then foiled with butter/brown sugar/honey/bbq sauce/rub for the next 2 hours, and then glazed them with more bbq sauce for the last hour.
9B8D7DC8-FA95-4C45-B105-80165076DC84.jpeg

Not sure if this qualifies as a good smoke ring. Chime in with how you’d rate these as a judge so I know better next time!
CC05FABB-A0FD-4414-BC4D-A045EE1C9A31.jpeg

The bite test I’ve seen people do on here. Don’t know what this tells me other than I was hungry lol
34BC5CB4-87AE-4D95-A031-F4F987DB058C.jpeg

The calm before the storm.
A3158B42-D968-4616-91A7-CBA07C5B7288.jpeg

Looks like the perfect bite! Your rib looks great also, I don't know if judges judge smoke ring. Some smokers don't produce rings, but the flavor is still there.

Mike

Reactions: beef_chief
Those ribs look outstanding. Your bite through test looks spot on. nice clean bite. Judging by your foiling ingredients you really like sweet ribs. Congratulations on the 1st of many successful rib smokes I'm sure.

Point for sure.

Chris

For your first try, you sure did a fantastic job!
Those ribs look perfectly cooked!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Looks like the perfect bite! Your rib looks great also, I don't know if judges judge smoke ring. Some smokers don't produce rings, but the flavor is still there.

Mike
I didn’t know that, good to know!

Those ribs look outstanding. Your bite through test looks spot on. nice clean bite. Judging by your foiling ingredients you really like sweet ribs. Congratulations on the 1st of many successful rib smokes I'm sure.

Point for sure.

Chris
Actually I typically like spicier foods. The girl I was smoking these for however is a different story lol!

For your first try, you sure did a fantastic job!
Those ribs look perfectly cooked!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!
Al
Thanks Al! I read a lot of your threads in preparation!

There's something magical that happens between your ears when you make ribs as good as or better than anything you've eaten in a restaurant. You, Sir, NAILED IT! Point.
You ain’t kidding! Especially when OTHER people say they were better than what they’ve had in a restaurant. Can’t get better than that! Thanks!

Those ribs look great!
You said you shared them with four other people... there’s the judges that matter.
Sounds like everyone loved them!
Congratulations on making the carousel too!!

I really wish my first rib smoke years ago went half as good as yours did! Those look fantastic for a seasoned pitmaster! Hell of a first rib smoke! Congrats!

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky