• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They are great looking ribs, which anyone would be very happy with. When judging, we are told to ignore the smoke ring, as its possible to manufacture them with additives. Visually the ribs look appealing, and moist, and the bite test is spot on. great work.

They are great looking ribs, which anyone would be very happy with. When judging, we are told to ignore the smoke ring, as its possible to manufacture them with additives. Visually the ribs look appealing, and moist, and the bite test is spot on. great work.
Oh I had thought the ring was a big part of it, good to know! Makes sense that you could produce it artificially. Thank you for your feedback!

THESE are your first ribs? They look like you've been grilling them for years on the Weber. Look at that smoke ring! I would love to have the ribs I slow cook turn out looking like yours. But I didn't foil nor spritz or anything like that. I just brushed the ribs with Stubb's BBQ Sauce in the last 15 minutes or so. Do you cook yours to a specific IT or do you just do the bend test or something like it?

I cooked a rack of spareribs on my Weber kettle grill last week. They turned out pretty good--but I forgot to check for the smoke ring. I used a charcoal snake with hickory chunks, and foil pan filled with water below the ribs. I've got one rib left to eat--gotta check that for a smoke ring.

Reactions: beef_chief
THESE are your first ribs? They look like you've been grilling them for years on the Weber. Look at that smoke ring! I would love to have the ribs I slow cook turn out looking like yours. But I didn't foil nor spritz or anything like that. I just brushed the ribs with Stubb's BBQ Sauce in the last 15 minutes or so. Do you cook yours to a specific IT or do you just do the bend test or something like it?

I cooked a rack of spareribs on my Weber kettle grill last week. They turned out pretty good--but I forgot to check for the smoke ring. I used a charcoal snake with hickory chunks, and foil pan filled with water below the ribs. I've got one rib left to eat--gotta check that for a smoke ring.
I never checked the IT. I left them on for 3 hours, took them off and foiled them, then after 1.5 hours in the foil I checked by twisting the bone. I guess that's the bend test. They seemed pretty tender so I sauced them and put them back on for an hour to set the sauce. I didn't use the snake method but I've been wanting to try it. I used a basket on one side, meat on the other side, and a water pan below the meat.

I never checked the IT. I left them on for 3 hours, took them off and foiled them, then after 1.5 hours in the foil I checked by twisting the bone. I guess that's the bend test. They seemed pretty tender so I sauced them and put them back on for an hour to set the sauce. I didn't use the snake method but I've been wanting to try it. I used a basket on one side, meat on the other side, and a water pan below the meat.

The bend test is when you pick up the ribs from one side a little past a quarter of the way down with your tongs. If they bend freely downwards somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees(more towards 90) then their done.

Chris

The bend test is when you pick up the ribs from one side a little past a quarter of the way down with your tongs. If they bend freely downwards somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees(more towards 90) then their done.

Chris
Ever had them break on you when doing that?

You caught me, Yes I've had them bend and break. In my defense my family likes FOTB ribs so its a fine line I have to walk when doing the bend test. I've also had pork butt fall apart when picking it up.

Chris

For a long time I've only smoked ribs inside my electric smoker. After seeing your results, I think I'm going to start cooking them on my Weber kettle grill too. I've got a 22.5" OTS and it's my overall favorite way to cook outdoors.

For a long time I've only smoked ribs inside my electric smoker. After seeing your results, I think I'm going to start cooking them on my Weber kettle grill too. I've got a 22.5" OTS and it's my overall favorite way to cook outdoors.
It worked well for me! And the more I research about how to optimize smoking in a kettle (since that's all I have access too and can't afford anything else right now), I've found a very large and successful community of people smoking in kettles that turn out great results.

Reactions: daricksta
A few years ago for Father's Day my wife gave me (among other grilling and smoking goodies) a Steven Raichlen Rib Rack. I've used it a few time on the Weber grill but the problem with the design is that it can be very difficult to extricate the ribs from the rack. They stick to the frame or they get entangled in the frame as the ribs bend as they cook. I still use it because, well, my wife got it for me, but more often I just lay the ribs flat on the cooking grate. I just started using a snake for indirect cooking, but my problem remains that I always think I'm not using enough charcoal so it gets way too hot under the lid. So, still working on that.

Jted, one of my friends here, after brushing on BBQ sauce near the end of the cook, caramelizes the ribs' surface with a propane torch. I'm going to try that next time.

You caught me, Yes I've had them bend and break. In my defense my family likes FOTB ribs so its a fine line I have to walk when doing the bend test. I've also had pork butt fall apart when picking it up.

Chris
And there's an issue we all face: "educate" them in the proper doneness of ribs or just give them what they want? I usually aim for the "tug" but wind up giving my family the FOTB ribs they want.

And there's an issue we all face: "educate" them in the proper doneness of ribs or just give them what they want? I usually aim for the "tug" but wind up giving my family the FOTB ribs they want.
I just took my daughter to a restaurant and she ordered the half rack of ribs. Pulled the ribs apart with her fingers, bones coming out completely clean! She asked why aren't my ribs like this? SMH...o_O

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky