Maverick ET-732 Piece of Junk! (UPDATE) New one works fine.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Check your probe. I use the Maverick thermometers extensively and am very pleased with them - however I have had this happen several times. It was nothing wrong with the thermometer body itself but was caused by the joint between the thermocouple probe and the lead becoming damaged. With use (and some abuse) there can be a slight visible fraying at the joint or a visible loosening of the seal at the crimp. This allows moisture/fat etc. into the joint which caused either HHH or LLL to display. Replacing the probe will solved this - they are inexpensive and are designed to be replaced. I always keep a couple spare. 

This is not a unique Maverick problem as the probes are standard off-the-shelf items and with extensive use you will eventually have to replace the probes on any brand of thermometer that you buy.

Last edited:
Check your probe. I use the Maverick thermometers extensively and am very pleased with them - however I have had this happen several times. It was nothing wrong with the thermometer body itself but was caused by the joint between the thermocouple probe and the lead becoming damaged. With use (and some abuse) there can be a slight visible fraying at the joint or a visible loosening of the seal at the crimp. This allows moisture/fat etc. into the joint which caused either HHH or LLL to display. Replacing the probe will solved this - they are inexpensive and are designed to be replaced. I always keep a couple spare. 

This is not a unique Maverick problem as the probes are standard off-the-shelf items and with extensive use you will eventually have to replace the probes on any brand of thermometer that you buy.
Yup----Exactly what happened to my first ET 732 probe, the second time I cleaned it.

My ET 73 is 3 years old, and still using original probes.

Think I just got a bad probe, like FWI might have.

I love my ET 732, and the distance it works at.

Bear

This was a unused brand new unit.. not a external probe problem but the INTERNAL probe ended up being bad. I'm sending mine back and Todd is sending me a new one.   

I shipped a replacement ET-732  out yesterday

Keep us posted if the new one works OK

Last edited:
Glad you found the cause - they are great little units. The distance is very good.

Now if you are talking about a junk thermometer you need look no further than the Weber Style Audible Meat Thermometer. I used to own two and it did not take long before they were consigned to the crusher. They were a premium price but had a transmit distance of about 6" and needed new sets of batteries with every use. I really expected more from Weber.

K ordered a maverick 732 from Todd. Put batteries in did boiling water test all temps good. Set up for a big rib smoke and bout ready to shoot this dam thing! Apparently it will not stay synced for longer than 10 min and can't. Bring it inside. Sad part is my wal mart wireless thermometer works inside. Sad. The distance from outside to inside where i set it in my kitchen is eight feet. Yep, be getting refund. Don't feel like goining in the cold to check temps.

K ordered a maverick 732 from Todd. Put batteries in did boiling water test all temps good. Set up for a big rib smoke and bout ready to shoot this dam thing! Apparently it will not stay synced for longer than 10 min and can't. Bring it inside. Sad part is my wal mart wireless thermometer works inside. Sad. The distance from outside to inside where i set it in my kitchen is eight feet. Yep, be getting refund. Don't feel like goining in the cold to check temps.
Sometimes it's not the distance---What is between the transmit & receive units?

Where I like to set my receiver causes my Steel front door to be dead center between Transmit & Receive, so I have to move it a few feet.

Oddly enough, my MES remote control doesn't have that problem.

Check how far you can get from the transmitter to the receiver outside, with nothing between the two, but air.

Bear

Yes, for me it's not so much distance but more what lies between the transmitter and receiver.   My house also a dead zone for my Mavericks and my cel phones.    I need to place the Maverick's receivers near the kitchen windows that face the back yard where the smokers reside.   But it all works to my satisfaction. 

Yes, for me it's not so much distance but more what lies between the transmitter and receiver.   My house also a dead zone for my Mavericks and my cel phones.    I need to place the Maverick's receivers near the kitchen windows that face the back yard where the smokers reside.   But it all works to my satisfaction. 
Yup---And I forgot to mention:

My house is a log house, so the whole thing is wood. The only thing that isn't wood is the steel doors & Windows, and the only thing that effects my Maverick is the Steel Doors, one of which is directly in a straight line from my Recliner to my Smoker.

Bear

Bear, I have not tested the range on it. But last night it was placed on the arm of a lawn chair less that 4 feet from transmitter with nothing but thin air between the two and still would loose sync. The window above the kitchen sink that faces the bacyard where the smoker sits. This is a measured 8 feet. Just the kitchen wall is the only thing that seperates the receiver n transmitter.

Cmayna, no dead zones inside or around the house.

Thinking just a faulty unit. Emailing Todd today. Luckily ribs turned out great guys at jobsite loved em.

So, emailed Todd and without hesitation he gave me some advice which i followed without success. He has offered to replace the unit. So come Monday i will be sending it back. I want to say i did not expect a email back on the WEEKEND. This is why Todd receives such rave reviews about his customer service. Thank you again Todd and everyone on SMF.

Bear, I have not tested the range on it. But last night it was placed on the arm of a lawn chair less that 4 feet from transmitter with nothing but thin air between the two and still would loose sync. The window above the kitchen sink that faces the bacyard where the smoker sits. This is a measured 8 feet. Just the kitchen wall is the only thing that seperates the receiver n transmitter.

Cmayna, no dead zones inside or around the house.

Thinking just a faulty unit. Emailing Todd today. Luckily ribs turned out great guys at jobsite loved em.
Probably too late, but I would try not setting it directly on the metal arm of a lawn chair.

Just a guess.

Bear

Bear, it was a plastic chai. Just a lemon i guess:icon_cry:.... Day before yesterday I sent back. Awaiting the arrival of the new one. Got some cold smoking to do.:biggrin:

Bear, it was a plastic chai. Just a lemon i guess:icon_cry:.... Day before yesterday I sent back. Awaiting the arrival of the new one. Got some cold smoking to do.
biggrin.gif
Oh OK, I thought maybe it had metal arms like ours do.

Must be a lemon---Todd will fix you up in no time!!
icon14.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky