Let's Talk About MAVERICK (Smoker/Food Temp. Monitors) If ya' want my opinion - DON'T Buy Their Stuf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ron in ohio

Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
First, If any of you have had a positive (And consumer verifiable) experience with Maverick I'd like to hear that feed-back too. Just in case that my experience is unique.

The only good thing that I can say about Maverick is that I E-Mailed their "customer service" with the following message, knowing that my unit was already over 7 years old and out of warranty, and they bent over backwards to make it right. Unfortunately, instead of sending me what they promised, "we'll send you the ET-732 unit which is a newer unit with better range," I got the same worthless ET-73 unit that I complained about. Here's the E-Mail "Back-and-Forth":

+++++++++++++++++++

Subject: Terribly Poor Merchandise

Message: First off; I found the receipt for the inaccurate, poorly designed, Commie-Chinese junk that I bought from you. I purchased it in August, 2008. I know, before ya' tell me, waiting over 7 years to complain is a long time although I did send a complaint years ago about this same product with no response and I cannot find a copy of that E-Mail. I am making sure to keep a copy of this one however. [I have!]

So, here goes: The crap in question is an ET-73 Redi-Chek Remote Smoker Thermometer. I purchased it through one of my subscribed B-B-Q/Smoking professional sites. I trusted their judgment - My mistake.

As a life-long product design engineer I quickly saw the design faults with the switch of one of the two units being enclosed behind a panel with a quickly lost plastic thumb nut for access. It has spent most of it's life with that panel taped-down. the other unit has the switch on the outside where it belongs. The instructions too leave a lot to be desired and only thru "trial-and-error" was I able to master the directions that were undoubtedly written by someone with "English as a second language."

The inaccuracy of the unit was not immediately apparent as I was ready to believe anything other than my smoker's poor cabinet mounted thermometer. But, after too many over or under-cooked results, I decided to compare the readings with boil-tested cooking thermometers.

I found both of the probes weren't accurate at all. I thought, 'Too late! You've owned this junk too long to complain.' So, I learned to not rely upon the unit but just use it as a guide and let my instincts take-over along with the use of an accurate kitchen thermometer as a back-up.

This worked fairly well for some time. Now, the probes have either took a dump or something else has, because the transmitter won't talk to the receiver. I must read directly from the transmitter which renders the whole concept worthless.

The unit has always been stored in a lower kitchen drawer, never outside, and although it's been used in all sorts of weather, it has always been used on a covered deck and not in direct contact with the elements.

I really don't know what to expect from sending this complaint other than electing the response I never got the first time. But, I certainly will not be moving-up to a more expensive unit or even buying another Maverick product with the poor experience I've had. And, a recommendation to my circle of B-B-Q/Smoking adherents is certainly out of the question.

+++++++++++++++++++

Their reply:

Good afternoon, Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your unit.

The unit comes with only a one year warranty, but as a one time courtesy, we can send you a replacement and different model unit if you send us the defective unit that you have. Please send us the defective unit to the address below, along with a copy of this email and your return address. Once we receive it, we'll send you the ET-732 unit which is a newer unit with better range.

Thank you,
Martina
Maverick Industries
94 Mayfield Ave
Edison NJ 08837

+++++++++++++++++++

OK, so those were the original E-Mails back in October '15. "As a one time Courtesy" - And, an appreciated one, I received the same ET-73 Redi-Chek Remote Smoker Thermometer unit from Maverick (Instead of their updated ET-732  Redi-Chek model).

Now fast forward, here it is - Spring! - Smokin' season - I've got a - Hopefully - Pastrami from Corn Beef Brisket, going in my Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Smoker (Which is not known for keeping smokin' temps. very well) And, ya' know what? My wife's Wal-Mart special, cheapie, oven thermometer is the only accurate guide that I have just for the smoke temperature (I'll let my instant read thermometer be my guide to the meat's temperature) - The Maverick's transmitter will only report to the receiver but not sound an alarm for "Hi" or "Lo" smoker temps. - Same as with the original unit - The receiver will tell me the too "Hi" smoke temp. (Too Late!) but will not sound an alarm in spite of the fact that I have followed their "English as a second language" instructions to the letter. Also, it won't sound an alarm for "Lo" smoke temps. So what is it's function?

Summary of Maverick: Inaccurate, Unreliable, Junk! Save your money and find something better. There may be better for more money from them, I don't know, But why should I gamble on that after being a two-time loser? I won't!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

UPDATE on 04/26/'16:

I can't believe nor understand why many folks are beating me up on this forum posting and not at all understanding its content or my intended warning. From now on I will not share any experiences with shabby merchandise and let the forum members find out the hard way.

I never ask for "service" on such an old purchase and I made that clear in my E-Mail to Maverick (If y'all read it). I was merely trying to get a response from Maverick when they ignored me back during the 1 yr. warranty period. None of you criticizers made mention of my 1st attempt at resolution from Maverick 7 years ago.

Had they responded with something like,"We're sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, your unit is past the warranty period and we cannot honor it." I would have understood.

As I also stated, "The only good thing that I can say about Maverick is that I E-Mailed their "customer service" with the following message, knowing that my unit was already over 7 years old and out of warranty, and they bent over backwards to make it right."

I am as impressed with Maverick's customer service response the last time as I was disappointed 7 years ago. But, the fact remains, in spite of the 7 year difference, the ET-73 still don't work as advertised during my 1st big smoke of the season and 1st attempt to use it. Although I plan on buying a more reliable and expensive unit - It won't be a Maverick!

In summary, in my first paragraph I ask, "First, If any of you have had a positive (And consumer verifiable) experience with Maverick I'd like to hear that feed-back too. Just in case that my experience is unique." For most of the repliers who gave me feedback on your experiences with Maverick, I thank you! I read them all.

As for the rest, buckinducks -  Airbusdrvr - SeenRed - cmayna - antrocks22 & SmokinAl

I would respectfully suggest that ya' read and understand a fellow forum member's posting before throwing criticism. It was unnecessary and uncalled for.

PS to antrocks22:

You ask; "Also were the blatantly racist comments necessary?" I had to go back and re-read my E-mail to Maverick just in case I really did screw-up. All I said that could be construed as Liberal/PC (Incorrect) was "Commie-Chinese junk" and "English as a second language" Those are not PC (Incorrect) statements - They are truthful realities that every America-loving person should espouse. I resent the implication!

Last edited:
My opinion is your 6.5 years to late to be complaining , maybe they have really good customer service for sending a new one. Maybe they took your email as a joke so they sent you another defect just for fun.
Your email made it sound like your a product engineer , so go to the store spend some $$ on what you think will be quality and work for you. Nowadays you gotta pay for quality, cheap out on stuff and more often than not you'll have to replace it more often.

Reactions: cats49er
I own two Mavericks (733 & 735) both work well. No complaints. I can't say I know much about the et-73 except it's Mavericks low end. Get what ya pay for I guess.

I've had great results with my igrill as well. Might want to try one of those or upgrade to a 732, 733, or 735 if you can get past your differences with maverick.

I know a dozen or so people who rely on Mavericks every time they smoke. Never heard one complain. Probes eventually go bad like anything else. I keep extra around for my Mavericks and igrill. I bet I lose 2 a year but I use them weekly.

I have to agree with the others...complaining about this after 7 years seems beyond reasonable.  Your email to Maverick was, at best, very negative...and at worst, downright rude.  Given the tone of your email, it is a wonder that they agreed to replace the unit at all, especially since it was years past its covered warranty.  IMO their response to such an unreasonable email is proof of their commitment to good customer service

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with this product, but remember that anyone can get a lemon.  That doesn't always mean the company makes "junk" products.  As hillbillyrkstr stated, there are dozens of satisfied Maverick owners who are members of these forums.  I've owned 2 Maverick thermometers myself (one of which was an ET-73)...and both have always performed exactly as advertised.

Good luck...

Red

Wow!   Complaining after 7 years of usage?  Really?  Though I've never had an et-73,  my two et-732 have worked like a couple champs.  No problems except for an occasional signal strength issue, but that's the price I pay for having a large yard.

Ron in Ohio,

I was planning on just saying my initial response about my maverick and leaving it at that, myself not believing in "trolling someone", but I have more to say. I agree with the responses so far, what do you expect after 7 years? I can't think of another company that would send you a replacement model after so long. Also were the blatantly racist comments necessary? Its a thermometer company man, relax.

Honestly, if I received a letter like that I'd just throw it in the trash. I can't believe they sent you a new unit after 7 years.

To me that's pretty darn good customer service.

I have 2 Mav's that are about 6 years old, still working fine.

Al

I have 4 x 732s and a couple of 733s and the oldest 732 is over 5 years old and is still going strong. I check them for accuracy a couple of times a year and have only had to replace one probe so far.

I got 7 years on my ET-73 too!!

I got it in 2009, and my Cheap model ET-73 would lose contact because there was a Steel door between my Recliner & my Smoker.

So I bought an ET-732 about a year later, and demoted my ET-73 to Fridge duty, so it only has to read between my Dining Room & my Basement Curing Fridge.

The ET-732 has been working fine for 6 years, but last year I bought another one, so I could do tests & compare the smoker temp from right to left, or other areas.

So between the 3 Mavericks, I have about 14 or 15 years of good use, and so far I have had to replace 3 probes.

They all still work fine.

Bear

I've had a 733 for about a year now.  I boil tested it again last week, and both probes were within 1 1/2 degrees.  The only thing I don't like about it is the setup.  Seems like everytime I use it, I have to reread the instructions--setup could be a whole lot simpler.

Gary

I've had a 733 for about a year now.  I boil tested it again last week, and both probes were within 1 1/2 degrees.  The only thing I don't like about it is the setup.  Seems like everytime I use it, I have to reread the instructions--setup could be a whole lot simpler.

Gary
LOL---That's why I get the ET-732s.

I like things Easy!!

Bear

In summary, in my first paragraph I ask, "First, If any of you have had a positive (And consumer verifiable) experience with Maverick I'd like to hear that feed-back too. Just in case that my experience is unique." For most of the repliers who gave me feedback on your experiences with Maverick, I thank you! I read them all.

As for the rest, buckinducks -  Airbusdrvr - SeenRed - cmayna - antrocks22 & SmokinAl

I would respectfully suggest that ya' read and understand a fellow forum member's posting before throwing criticism. It was unnecessary and uncalled for.
I assure you I read every word of your post twice before I responded to it.  As far as understanding...I'm pretty confident I understand it, too:  Based on your experience with this thermometer, you clearly don't like Maverick products, and you are trying to convince the rest of us that they are "inaccurate, unreliable junk".  Isn't that the gist of it?

It's true that I did make a critical remark about the rude and unreasonable tone you used in your email complaint to Maverick.  If that's what you view as "unnecessary and uncalled for", sorry but we'll have to "respectfully" agree to disagree.  I don't treat people that way...especially people who work in the service industry and who get bombarded with that kind of rudeness all the time...so I'll stand by my remark.  What I find remarkable is for Maverick to even respond at all to your hostile email - and to respond by sending you a new thermometer is going above and beyond IMO.

The rest of my post was not criticism at all...but was exactly what you asked for:  Feedback of a positive experience with Maverick products.  Perhaps you didn't "read and understand" my entire posting?  I will say again that my experiences with Maverick products are 100% positive.  If I were purchasing a new remote thermometer tomorrow, I'd definitely buy another Maverick...and I wouldn't have any reservations about recommending them to others.

Red

Ron, no firsthand dealings with Maverick myself but have know people who worked with them and they had good service.

As far as everything else goes I understand why you are frustrated with not receiving the newer unit and just getting the same model back after they told you they would send you the new one.

Trying to put this diplomatically but I think the other posters on here do have a point. Even if you did send them in initial e-mail during the original warranty period you still waited another six years to contact them again after you did not hear back from them. That is a long time to wait to follow up on a product issue.

Myself I was shocked that after all that time they would even send out a new unit. Thought maybe they would give you partial credit towards a new one or something. Hopefully you can get something worked out with them that will make you happy.

I've had the ET-732 model (two of them) for numerous years now. After only a few smokes, one of the probes (first unit) bit the dust. I called customer service and it was promptly taken care of. Had no other issues since then. My experience has been different than yours, no complaints here and if need be, I'd buy from them again.

One can understand a person's frustration with a "faulty" product but, you should have resolved your concerns seven years ago. I'm surprised they sent you a replacement that far down the road and especially after reading your e-mail. Life is too short to have this thing still eating away at you after all these years. 

biggrin.gif
 Maybe this will help...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ron in Ohio,

I was planning on just saying my initial response about my maverick and leaving it at that, myself not believing in "trolling someone", but I have more to say. I agree with the responses so far, what do you expect after 7 years? I can't think of another company that would send you a replacement model after so long. Also were the blatantly racist comments necessary? Its a thermometer company man, relax.
Where exactly did you read racist comments in Ron's post? 

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky