I like big butts and I cannot lie...Boston Butts especially

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I just put this big butt in the smoker at 10 PM on a drizzly, but clearing, 44F, Saturday night. Supper tomorrow will be awesome.

9.5 pounds after trimming
SPG for seasoning (since yesterday morning)
Hickory for smoke (AMNPS)
MES40 set at 230F

Time for another bourbon...

IMG_44777.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
I'll be checking in tomorrow Eddie.

Chris

The sunrise is looking pretty spectacular this morning and the BB is at 157F at 6:50 AM...kicked the smoker up to 275F to finish it.

We just got home and the BB was at 199F and probe-tender. Pulled it. Wrapped it. Currently resting it for a few hours in a cooler.

I am curious what the temp will be when I shred it after a 4 hour or so rest. I will check it....but it has always been glove-handling-hot in the past.

Here are the pics for now...

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4479.9.jpg

5 hours after it was pulled, wrapped, and rested, it was still too hot to handle without gloves and utensils - 157F - and it shredded with the lightest pressure.

The final product -

IMG_45.01.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky