Apple Pie Stuffed Pork Tenderloins, Burnt Ends, and Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
4 Apple Pie Stuffed Pork Tenderloins,
Burnt Ends, and Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups

Monday, Miss Linda and I had invited a truck driver friend of mine, his wife, and their two kids, aged 12 and 6, for an afternoon BBQ. Since we are all big eaters, except for the young-un, I figured I’d go all out with the food. The menu I had planned for the day was Burnt Ends and Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups for appies with Apple Pie Stuffed Pork Tenderloins and Miss Linda’s famous Potato Salad for the main course. That’s a lot of smoked food for a MES 30, so I started prepping Saturday and smoking Sunday, leaving just the final smoke on the burnt ends and the 4 tenderloins for Monday.

My original plan was to smoke a brisket point for the burnt ends, but when I went looking for it I realized that it was on the very bottom of the chest freezer, with half a beef stacked on top. So…..I decided to improvise and try something new for burnt ends. Now I’ve made faux burnt ends with pork loin before and they were delicious. Naturally, I didn’t have a loin on hand. So I figured I’d try some outside round roast (it was stacked at the top of the freezer).

I thawed out 2 roasts, about 3 pounds apiece, and mixed up an injection of 2 cups of beef broth and 1 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder--an outside round is a very lean cut and neither tender nor juicy. After injecting as much of the liquid as each roast would hold, I gave each a healthy rub of SPOG, and placed the wrapped roasts in the fridge for the night

20180804_105616 (3).jpg

20180804_111355 (2).jpg

20180804_111447 (2).jpg

Sunday morning, I hooked up my PID and preheated the MES to 240 degrees. While it was heating I filled my AMNPS with Pecan and got it smoking. The two roasts went into the MES at 10 AM with the TBS so thin it was almost invisible. AT 3 PM, 5 hours later, both roasts were at 170* IT.

20180805_181611 (2).jpg

I left them sitting on the counter to cool until after supper, then cubed both for burnt ends. Wrapped in plastic wrap, they then spent the night in the fridge. My PID performed flawlessly, holding a steady 240 plus/minus 1 ½ degrees.

While the roasts were smoking, I prepped the 4 tenderloins, sliced each in half lengthwise, and gave each piece a good coat of Teddy’s Happy Hog Butt Rub. The tenderloins were then reassembled, wrapped in plastic, and joined the soon-to-be burnt ends in the fridge.

20180805_125454 (3).jpg

Monday morning dawned beautifully sunny and I was up at 4 AM with lots still to do. After 3 cups of coffee I went to work. The first order or the day was to prep the cubed roast for burnt ends. I gave everything a good coating of salt and pepper, added the honey garlic BBQ sauce and mixed everything well so each cube of meat was well coated. It was at this point that I remembered that each roast had been bound with 2 pieces of butcher twine—a fact I neglected to recall BEFORE cubing up 6 pounds of beef into bite size pieces!!!! Duh. Do you have any idea how long it takes to examine each piece individually and remove any twine found??
Well I DO!! And that’s a job I would definitely NOT recommend to anybody. The meat, now ready to be smoked a second time, went into the fridge again.

The time had finally arrived to make the Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups—a job that I simply couldn’t avoid any longer. This fun job involves taking a pound of store bought bacon, rolling it thin and slicing it into pieces just big enough to wrap around a piece of pineapple chunks. As it turned out, the bacon that I bought was sliced “mother-in-law-thin”. So thin you could almost see through it. No work for the rolling pin that morning. By the time I was done, I had 53 roll ups, each with its own toothpick. Tedious work, but the results do justify the time spent. Now I’ve never been able to get crisp bacon in the MES, so I opted to cook the bacon wrapped pineapple chunks in the oven. Twenty-five minutes in a 400* oven on one of Miss Linda’s cookie sheets and the bacon was nice and crisp. Unfortunately, the mixture of sweet pineapple juice and bacon grease burned onto the cookie sheet and no amount of scrubbing on my part would get it all off. Looks like I owe Miss Linda a new cookie sheet. Sigh.

20180806_111608 (2).jpg

I placed all the roll ups in a tinfoil pan and proceeded to mix up the sauce, which is simplicity itself.

Sauce Recipe
1 cup Ketchup
1 cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup regular Mustard
2 Tbsp (or to taste) Dijon or any other hot mustard

Stir well to mix all ingredients. Pour over roll ups (try to avoid the toothpicks). Heat in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

I didn’t put the roll ups and sauce in the oven at that time as I wanted everything hot to serve as an appie along with the burnt ends when our guests arrived at 3 PM.

So far, except for the screw ups with the butcher twine and Miss Linda’s cookie sheet, things had been moving along quite well. So it was on to stuffing the 4 tenderloins.

I laid the tenderloins out two to a cutting board, removing the top half of each. Under each tenderloin I laid out a half dozen lengths of butcher twine (much easier done before spooning on the filling). Two cans of apple pie filling were dumped into a large bowl and mixed with extra cinnamon and nutmeg. Then, slice by slice, the pie filling was spooned onto each tenderloin, getting the absolute maximum amount of apple on each. Then, just to make things a whole lot messier, the syrup from the pie filling was spooned over the apple slices.

20180805_132218 (3).jpg

The tops were replaced on each tenderloin and the meat was trussed up in an attempt to keep as much of the stuffing as possible in place. More rub was applied to the top sections and everything was plastic wrapped and left on the counter to come up to room temperature.

**Picture lost transferring from phone to computer**

The cubed and sauced beef was transferred to 3 Frog Matts for smoking and joined the tenderloins to await the arrival of our guests.

20180806_094204.jpg

When our guest arrived at about 3 PM we went out back to enjoy the beautiful day in the company of about 2 or 3 dozen wasps and hornets (it’s a real bad year for hornets—they’re everywhere). While we enjoyed a couple of ice cold Budweiser Prohibition Beers (both Clint and I have been on the wagon for several years now) I put the beef in the MES and the AMNPS, filled with Hickory and lit at both ends to maximize the smoke for the short cook time, went into the mailbox mod. About an hour later the Burnt Ends were done and we were about done with the wasps and hornets, so we went inside for some munchies. On the way to the living room I put the Roll Ups in the oven to heat.

The outside round Burnt Ends were delicious, but dry, dry, dry. I think from now on, I’ll just use the outside round roasts for jerky—my original plan when I included them in my butcher order for the half a beef.

Twenty minutes later, the Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups were ready. Now from an unfortunate previous experience with them, I knew that popping one in your mouth fresh out of the oven was quite similar to licking a spoonful of molten lava, so I let them “cool” for about 10 minutes before giving the go ahead to dig in. That was as long as I could stall—the vultures were circling.

20180806_121133 (2).jpg

While everyone was munching away happily, I filled the AMNPS with Orange pellets and got it smoking away nicely. The tenderloins were placed 2 to a rack and went into the still heated MES. By the time I got everything loaded and my Smoke meat probe inserted the cook chamber had dropped about 100 degrees. However it soon recovered to 240*. They would cook to an IT of 137* followed by a 15 minute rest before carving to allow carryover to bring the final IT up to about 142

I rejoined the feeding frenzy in the living room—and none too soon I might add. Dry as the Burnt Ends were, everybody loved them. I had made them specifically for Clint's 12 year old son Connor and I swear he ate at least a couple of pounds of them. The Bacon/Pineapple Roll Ups were a huge success--Clint's wife immediately asked for the recipe. All told, 53 Roll Ups and the entire bowl of Burnt Ends from 6 pounds of beef roast were consumed by the time the Stuffed Tenderloins were ready. I think they liked the appies.

Supper was simply meat,
potatoes and homemade apple sauce. I sliced up the 2 big tenderloins to start and served them with Miss Linda’s potato salad. The picture of the sliced tenderloin makes it look a lot rarer than it actually was.

20180210_215618 (2).jpg

When the first 2 tenderloins were gone, I sliced and served the third. Miss Linda’s potato salad, made with 5 pounds of potatoes, cucumber, tomato, green onions, and topped with sliced hard boiled eggs, was an unbelievably delicious side dish and was completely consumed in one sitting. Unfortunately, I neglected to get a single plated shot—I was afraid I might lose a hand if I got too close to anybody’s plate. LOL.

The Apple Pie Stuffed Tenderloins were the star of the BBQ. Tender, moist, and downright delicious. The speed at which everything disappeared left me both surprised and very grateful that I had one small tenderloin left for supper Tuesday. Well I told you we were all big eaters. Even the young-un ate more meat than I've ever seen her eat before. At meal’s end, everyone simply rolled off their dining room chairs and into the living room for coffee and smokes.

A lot of work, but I’d do it again tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Last edited:
Man, That's a lot of Mighty Tasty Looking Vittles You got there, Gary!!:)
I'd be all over that stuff!!
Nice Job, Buddy!!
Like!
Thanks for Showing!

Bear

Thanks John and thanks for the like.
As I've said in previous posts, it's you that I have to thank for the original idea of apple pie filling stuffed pork loin. It's a favorite around here.
Gary

LOL---Apple always seemed to go Great with Pork-----Ever since somebody shoved that first apple in Porky's mouth!!!

Bear

Hoe Lee Cow!
I and I thought I put some mega amounts of food out.

Gary, what can I say besides... "Dammit Man, now that's an incredible spread of meats."
Sounds like the party was an immense success, congrats on pulling off the big cook.
Your wife's potato salad sounds good, is that recipe available?
LIKE!

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Very nice job and looks amazing! Don't you love it when everybody just devours everything - and you just know that you nailed it? What a great feeling. Well done. Like.

Uh um well Yeah, It would be on like a pot of neck bones.

Hoe Lee Cow!
I and I thought I put some mega amounts of food out.

Gary, what can I say besides... "Dammit Man, now that's an incredible spread of meats."
Sounds like the party was an immense success, congrats on pulling off the big cook.
Your wife's potato salad sounds good, is that recipe available?
LIKE!

Thank you my friend and thanks for the point.
It surely kept me out of trouble for 3 days but I had the time and really enjoyed doing it.
I asked Miss Linda about her potato salad and she said its really very simple. Here's her recipe--you can scale it down if you want a smaller one.
--5 pounds of Russet potatoes pealed and cut into bite size pieces
--1 large cucumber pealed and diced large
--3 Roma tonatos whole diced large
--2 bunches of green onions chopped small
--6 hard boiled eggs diced
--6hard boiled eggs sliced
--Miricle Whip
Boil potatoes, drain and cool.
Add all the other ingredients except the 6 sliced eggs and mix well.
Top with the 6 sliced eggs.
Dust paprika over the top
That's all there is to it. Personally I hate Miricle Whip, but on this salad it's actually better than mayo. The cuke and tomatos are diced large enough that you know what each piece is that you're chewing.
Gary

Reactions: chilerelleno
Very nice job and looks amazing! Don't you love it when everybody just devours everything - and you just know that you nailed it? What a great feeling. Well done. Like.

Thanks GATOR and thanks for the point.
You're absolutely right. It is a great feeling to wstch your friends thoroughly enjoying a meal you worked hard to make.
Gary

Can I say Master Chef. That is one heck of a terrific spread. My head is still spinning trying to absorb all the time and effort put into that. Congratulations Man.

Point for sure.

Chris

Wow, what a great write up and meal. Thanks for all the details, it felt like I was reading one of those "Day in the life of" stories!.

I tried the same thing with a Pork Loin once, and there was more apple pie filling on me, the kitchen floor, the walls, etc. than there was in the loin. I can't believe a man that has been married for more than an month, doesn't know better than to even look at the Mrs Cookie sheets, much less use one of them! I would rather be dipped in honey and wrestle a grizzly!

I am not sure if I would be into the pineapple rollups, but you make them sound so good, I guess I better give them a try. Congrats on a great meal and a WELL fed family and friends.

Can I say Master Chef. That is one heck of a terrific spread. My head is still spinning trying to absorb all the time and effort put into that. Congratulations Man.

Point for sure.

Chris

Holy cow, what a marathon cook!
Everything looks delicious!!
Nicely done!
Al

Thanks guys and thanks for the points.
This was the most complicated, difficult, and time consuming smoke I've ever attempted. The logistics involved to make sure everything came together at the proper time were oretty intense for an old man. But it was fun. Good thing it was a long weekend here in Alberta.
The best part was seeing the enjoyment on my friends' faces as they devoured pretty much everything.
Gary

Wow, what a great write up and meal. Thanks for all the details, it felt like I was reading one of those "Day in the life of" stories!.

I tried the same thing with a Pork Loin once, and there was more apple pie filling on me, the kitchen floor, the walls, etc. than there was in the loin. I can't believe a man that has been married for more than an month, doesn't know better than to even look at the Mrs Cookie sheets, much less use one of them! I would rather be dipped in honey and wrestle a grizzly!

I am not sure if I would be into the pineapple rollups, but you make them sound so good, I guess I better give them a try. Congrats on a great meal and a WELL fed family and friends.

Thanks Pete. And thanks for the Point.
I have to admit that more than once I caught myself wondering just what had I got myself into. LOL. But it really was worth all the time and effort.
And. Yeah. I do know better but like the man said--Seemed like a good idea at the time. So now I have a cookie sheet to use when smoking. Of course its WAY TO BIG to fit in the MES.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky