How is the meat supply in your area?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That plant in South Dakota has 3700 employees. They have 518 cases in that plant in Sioux City South Dakota, with an additional ~150 cases attached to that plant. Bringing the total in that Smithfield plant in Sioux City alone to 668. The entire state has a total of 1300 covid-19 cases. Meaning that more than half of all cases in the State are in that plant alone. The town of Sioux City has hardly any Covid, except at that plant. It is very interesting indeed. All of the other plants with the outbreak are in towns with little infections except at those plants. Makes you think. Does me.

Yup--I find that one interesting too. The CDC gave the company a plan for making the plant safer, but the President made it Voluntary, instead of Mandatory. So the workers are afraid to go to work, and I don't blame them. It's kinda like going into battle without a Flak Jacket & Helmet.

Bear

That plant in South Dakota has 3700 employees. They have 518 cases in that plant in Sioux City South Dakota, with an additional ~150 cases attached to that plant. Bringing the total in that Smithfield plant in Sioux City alone to 668. The entire state has a total of 1300 covid-19 cases. Meaning that more than half of all cases in the State are in that plant alone. The town of Sioux City has hardly any Covid, except at that plant. It is very interesting indeed. All of the other plants with the outbreak are in towns with little infections except at those plants. Makes you think. Does me.
Ok so I'm a bit confused, the question was asked why so many people in these meat packing plants are testing positive, to which I replied to, in my opinion anyway. First and foremost I'm not arguing or anything of the kind, so please don't take it that way. The Smithfield pork plant in Sioux falls has 3700 employees, with 3614 infected cases in the state of S.D. Sioux city Iowa has a seaboard triumph pork plant with 34 cases as of 6 days ago, 1590 cases in Woodbury county in which sioux city is in, 12,373 cases in Iowa. Tyson beef plant in Dakota City Nebraska has 4300 employees, and about 669 positive employees, the state of Nebraska has 8315 positive cases. Now there is beef products inc. (BPI) in north sioux city, S.D. but couldn't find any covid details on them. They were in the news in past couple of years with lawsuit against ABC I believe with the story on pink slime hamburger. Like I said earlier, no offense meant by any means, but names of companies and towns and numbers affected don't add up. They are all within an hour or so away from me.

Ryan

So, went grocery shopping this morning. 1/3rd the usual crowd, which was kinda nice. Shelves fully stocked, meat fully stocked, even the flour section fully stocked with one exception; no Bob's Red Mill flour of any kind. It is my preferred brand.

The women staffers were all wearing masks. Not a single male worker had mask or gloves. Not an accusation or judgement; just an observation. All but one or two shoppers wore masks.

So, went grocery shopping this morning. 1/3rd the usual crowd, which was kinda nice. Shelves fully stocked, meat fully stocked, even the flour section fully stocked with one exception; no Bob's Red Mill flour of any kind. It is my preferred brand.

The women staffers were all wearing masks. Not a single male worker had mask or gloves. Not an accusation or judgement; just an observation. All but one or two shoppers wore masks.

Smart Ladies!!

Bear

Reactions: jaxgatorz
I went to Costco in the North Dallas/Plano Tx area and they had about 1/4 of the meat they normally had. No briskets but had had beef ribs. Their prices were a bit too rich for me but I did buy some $1.99/lb boneless skinless chicken thighs to grill for dinner. A usual the quality was noticeable on the chicken thighs.

I'm very fortunate and very grateful that the regular grocery stores (that are not Walmart) here have had no severe meat issues other than when things first spiked in our area in late March.
The grocery stores are still having great meat deals even with limits in place and I'm able to continue slowly building up freezer inventory while feeding myself each week.

This week they have $1.79/lb St. Louis Style ribs, $1.49 boneless skinless chicken breast, and $5.99 fresh farm raised Atlantic salmon whole fillets so I bought some of each with plans to smoke them all at some point this weekend and early next week :)

I'm excited bout the salmon. I have yet to hot smoke salmon, I've only done lox. I'm going to hot smoke this guy and maybe turn the thinner tail and belly portions of the fillet into salmon nuggets/jerky. $5.99/lb is a hard to beat price for fresh Salmon around here even if its not wild.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I know I'm late to the party, Forktender, but that pic of Cash & Carry looked exactly like the one I saw here in Everett, WA last weekend. Costco had only a few packages of ground beef; still no dang TP.
I work ridiculously long hours during the week, so weekends are really the only time I have to shop for supplies. I'm going to try my luck at Restaurant Depot on Saturday.
Sorry to hear about your break-in, but kudos to you and your wife for helping a family in need. I've done similar, and I know it feels good.

Still not much to be had at the usual outlets. Grocery stores have some, but they seem to think they're selling gold now.
I finally went by my Business Costco looking for brisket; they had some, but at $4.39 lb. for choice, I passed. Found a 13 lb. top loin and a similarly sized shoulder clod. Cut up the loin into 13, 1-1/2" NY steaks, all but 3 vac sealed and frozen. The clod I plan to cook like a brisket this Sunday.
Here's a few shots. That's a tenderloin on top.
20200515_175414.jpg
20200517_135758.jpg
20200517_140623.jpg
20200517_183308.jpg

Last edited:
Steak looks delicious. Can't wait to see the Clod. Thanks for sharing.

I have made 2 grocery runs in the past 3 days and I was able to get 5 whole packer briskets at great memorial day TX sale prices. Kroger had choice briskets for $1.67/lb limit 2 so i got 2. Market Street (a small but nicer chain) had Angus briskets $1.99/lb and I was able to get 3.

Kroger ran out fast. Market street still has plenty of Angus briskets.
I owe 2 briskets to my ol'ladies neighbors. They have been mowing her front yard cause she is a nurse and has been working nonstop these days.
I owe my mother 2 briskets... well cause she's my mother and she is amazing.

I would like to get myself 2-3 briskets so I could smoke 1-2 of them and then grind 1 of them at that price for ground beef.

We'll see if I can make it all happen. I'm fortunate that my area of the country has meat so I am very mindful of only buying my limits and leaving some for the next guy. With as many briskets as Market Street has had I should be able to buy another 2 and leave plenty for the next guy as tomorrow is the last day of the sale anyhow and they go back to regular angus brisket prices.

I wish everyone had as much luck as I am having but I'll take what i can responsibly get while slowly stocking up the freezer. Keep at it guys!

The store almost needed to announce "Cleanup in the meat department" this morning when I saw the price of brisket. Choice grade packers for $5.98 / lb. A trimmed flat for $10.78 / lb! I've got a full packer in the freezer that more than doubled in value!

The offerings in rest of the meat department were pretty scarce. Lots of untrimmed pork spare ribs, though, at $1.78 / lb. Might have to go back and pick up a few. We had just finished a couple racks and I wasn't sure how much room was left in the freezer.

(Dang. This won't unbold).

The store almost needed to announce "Cleanup in the meat department" this morning when I saw the price of brisket. Choice grade packers for $5.98 / lb. A trimmed flat for $10.78 / lb! I've got a full packer in the freezer that more than doubled in value!

The offerings in rest of the meat department were pretty scarce. Lots of untrimmed pork spare ribs, though, at $1.78 / lb. Might have to go back and pick up a few. We had just finished a couple racks and I wasn't sure how much room was left in the freezer.

(Dang. This won't unbold).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna put 3 to smoke this evening. I'm gonna save the thin parts of the flats i trim off for the grind. Once I get the grind handled over the weekend I can use my 100% no fat venison grind to make jerky! :D
I'm not looking forward to all the work as I gotta make some other stuff as well but oh well I'll just have to tuff it all out lol haha

We used to be closer at our old location, but now an hour from a Sams and two from a Costco. Where I shop grocery chain here in eastern NC I’ve not seen prices change or escalate at all, and still see sales on things similar to pre-COVID ... perhaps fewer things on sale now, and variety diminished. Had and continue to see rolling shortages - sometimes and most often beef, chicken next most common. Had rarely been pork, but have seen that lately. And usually replenishes or changes agin in the next day or two. Sorta playing whack-a-mole. I just don’t have my heart set on anything in particular, and make what’s available.

Right now I have a good assortment of frozen dead animals, some with 4 feet, some with 2, and some with none.

Beef prices were way up last week. This morning pork prices are beginning to soar. Best case only a 20% increase. Worst case more than double what I usually see. It wasn't across the board, though. My freezer is full, so I just get what I need.

Picked up a couple untrimmed spares for $2.28/lb. They were $1.78 last week. Also got a couple of family packs of "assorted pork chops." Usually they are $1.28/lb. This morning, $1.98, a 35% increase. Loins and loin chops were north of $4-$5/lb.

The store had a LOT of stock in the aisles all over the store waiting to be shelved. More than I've ever seen staged.

The store had a LOT of stock in the aisles all over the store waiting to be shelved. More than I've ever seen staged.
Might be a sign that trucks are showing up at odd times . They can't get it stocked , and need it off the dock so the vendors can do business during the day .
At least that what my son says happens to them .

Reactions: noboundaries
Our Meat supply here in the Tyler, Texas area is still good. You can find about anything you want.
One note ; Last night on the news I saw where they indited several people on price fixing, a couple here in East Texas. They need to make an example out of any company, or companies doing that. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary

Our Meat supply here in the Tyler, Texas area is still good. You can find about anything you want.
One note ; Last night on the news I saw where they indited several people on price fixing, a couple here in East Texas. They need to make an example out of any company, or companies doing that. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary

In Texas, I thought all you needed was a Long Rope & a Wide Loop!

Or do I watch too many Old Westerns?!?!

Bear

In Texas, I thought all you needed was a Long Rope & a Wide Loop!

Or do I watch too many Old Westerns?!?!

Bear

I prefer my 30-06 or if its pork hunting my 300 Blackout. The rope isn't efficient enough for me :P

Safeway has a special going this week on Jennie-O frozen turkey breasts for 99 cents a lb. --limit 1. I picked up one yesterday, but when I went back today they were, not surprisingly, all out.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky