How is the meat supply in your area?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
For the past 2 weeks there has literally been zero beef pork, or lamb unless it's frozen pre packaged stuff. I buy most of my meat from a local restaurant supply store.

Each of these clear plastic bins holds about 6 to10 20lb cryovac packs of darn near any cut of beef, pork and lamb you could ever dream of. I went to this store 3 times this week and and I was completely blown away, damn near zero meat period.
Time to start looking for new wild hog area's to hunt until our buck season opens in July.

Crazy, I never would've imagined seeing empty shelves in California supermarkets and restaurant supply stores. If I was a cattle rancher I'd be sleeping with on eye open watching my cattle right about now.
2020-05-03 17.33.25.jpg

My area of NW PA has the fewest Flu cases in the state. TP is still being hoarded but meat is not an issue. Just the opposite with some items. I just purchased 18-1 1/2" Certified Angus Ribeye Steaks for $6.99 a pound. Select Ribeye only went down to $9.99 from $12.99 at Christmas. $6.99 for Angus is a Steal. I only wish I had the funds to buy more. I seared off 6ea for Supper last night and they were amazing. The marbling was very close to Prime. Leg of Lamb is $5.99 along with Choice Top Sirloin Steak. All these are abundant and the cheapest I have ever seen in this area...JJ

Reactions: forktender
It's crazy, they have chicken and fish but no meat, Costco down the road wasn't a whole lot better.
Tomorrow I'm going to see about joining Sam's if they will let me do a walk through to check things out first.
There is going to be a whole lot of poaching going on around here if they can't keep the food supply healthy.

Weird, I felt like I was in a twilight zone movie when I walked into the cold room where they keep the meat.
There are hot dogs and plenty of lunch meats but all but zero fresh meats.
It's crazy that one of if not the richest state in the union can't get food into the stores, I just don't get that.
It's almost like it's planned to see how much people will take before they brake.

I'm not the tinfoil hat type of guy but things like this kinda make you wonder, after you hear other states are running pretty much the same as ever.:emoji_thinking::emoji_astonished::emoji_confounded:

Reactions: sawhorseray
Pickings are slim here in Oakland County Michigan. Most meat coolers are pretty much bare. I went to local Kroger today and came out with eye of round roast, 2 pack of frozen Cornish game hens and a 7.5 lb bone in pork butt. That’s with most grocery stores around here limiting customers to 2 meats. It’s crazy.

Australia - Local butchers here have limited supplies. Our Major meat processors have been hit with the virus, they have been shutdown until they test every staff member etc.

Now this thing has hit supply chains it will be more tough times.

i stocked all our freezers up a couple of months back just in case. my family knows we do not use that supply until we cannot buy meats or this virus has a cure.

My area is limiting meat purchases again. 2 packs per purchase. Other items have rebounded. TP is no problem. And we even found a gallon of bleach! Hand sanitizer is still hard to find. But improving. Our company retooled 2 lines. And we are now making sanitizer as well. And Wegman's even had face masks for a few minutes! I scored 2 packs. Limit was 2 to a person.

I was stoked to get one of the last 3 packs of St Louie ribs they had two packs left but I felt so bad about other people going home to their family meatless that I only bought one of them.
I'm a hunter and fisherman so my family will not go without, one way or another there will be meat and fish in our belly when we go to sleep at night and maybe a little to share with friends if it gets crazy out here.
"A country boy can survive"

My area is limiting meat purchases again. 2 packs per purchase. Other items have rebounded. TP is no problem. And we even found a gallon of bleach! Hand sanitizer is still hard to find. But improving. Our company retooled 2 lines. And we are now making sanitizer as well. And Wegman's even had face masks for a few minutes! I scored 2 packs. Limit was 2 to a person.
(LONG)

I can find TP, and other paper goods, yeast, flour, hand sanitizer, bleach and rubber surgical gloves never were a problem, masks for the past two weeks. I bought 4 pork butts two weeks ago and some pork ribs last week and yesterday, I got really lucky yesterday, it was cleaned out.....they did have a 4 pack of beef lengua, I should've grabbed it, it makes amazing tacos and burritos and sopas.

I haven't been able to find Wet Ones or Lysol wipes or any other type of disinfectant wipes since the lock down. It's been very strange out here, people are being sure nice and helpful for the most part crime is down drastically. Talking to strangers in the store has restored my hopes for this country, it's been a nice change for the most part. People have shared things out of their cart when they saw I missed grabbing one and I've done the same in return many times over.

Heck, I was in line for almost 2 housr 3 weeks ago stocking up on dry good and meat and eggs. The lady in front of me had about 60 cup of noodles in her cart. I jokingly say she must be a student, her reply changed my attitude quickly. She said that her husband of 6 yrs just up and left her and her two young daughters without any warning and that was all she could afford to feed her family. ( you could tell she was terrified)

I asked her to watch my cart, and my wife and I grabbed another cart and loaded it with milk, cheese, flour , eggs , meat, frozen chicken thighs, 6 cans of tuna fish, mayo, juice, yogurt, dried fruit, fresh and frozen veggies, 2 loves of bread and some ice cream and cookies and some Flintstone multi vitamins.
When I got back in line she was just looking at us like she was mad, a few seconds before she went up to check out I grabbed one of the 24 packs of cup of soup off her cart without saying anything. She said take it if you need it that bad. I told her this cart is for her and her girls and I didn't want her wasting her money on the 2 other cases if she didn't have to. She still didn't get that I was buy this cart for her until I said call me when the checker was ready for payment. She was crying when she saw the bill and both of her girls the checker and me and my wife were both crying by this point.

I'm not posting this for an atta boys I'm just saying help others if you can. In the parking lot both of her girls asked if they could give my wife and me hugs. I smiled and said only if it was OK with their mommy,
Dude it was crazy, I never felt anything like that before. I gave the lady my wives cell number and told her to call us if they were ever hungry or if just wanted to say hello, they left us a message on my wives cell that night with all three of them saying thank you so much, if was very, very cool and so very much humbling.

Hang in there everybody and help others if you can and don't feel bad if you have to ask for help, we're all in this crap together.
Dan

I haven't been to the grocery store for 4-5 days but have been able to get whatever I need at Sam's or Fry's. I do Just like Jabiru Jabiru , my garage freezer has been packed since Xmas and when I take something out it gets replaced that week. There's just the wife and I, she doesn't eat hardly any meat at all. I'll smoke a porkbutt and the pulled pork that's left gets turned into enchiladas, burritos, and flautas, really stretches things out. I figure I could go a easy 4-5 months before running out of supply. RAY

It's crazy, they have chicken and fish but no meat, Costco down the road wasn't a whole lot better. Tomorrow I'm going to see about joining Sam's if they will let me do a walk through to check things out first.

That shouldn't be a problem, they let me walk thru to check things out when we moved here from CA, you can't buy anything until you get their card. The self checkout is far superior to standing in the lines at Costco, their prices are just about always identical, and we belong to Costco also, tho we won't renew. My freezer was in good shape from the three whole prime ribs I bought and processed last Xmas, ribeye steaks and small roasts. When all this Covid crap first started every time I'd go to Sam's or Safeway I'd grab a couple packs of chicken thighs and pork spare ribs, enough porkbutt to be able to make sausage. With the lines to get in and the stores limiting the number of shoppers allowed in it pays to get there early. I go on the days that have special hours for folks over the age of 60 and get there 30-45 minutes ahead of time. The last two times I went to Sam's I was in the first ten to get in when they opened at 7am, got everything I wanted with hardly any crowd. When I walked out at 7:30 the line was a couple hundred yards long, some wouldn't get in for hours, when they did the toilet paper, paper towels, and a lot of the meat would be gone for the day, GO EARLY! RAY

Last edited:
Slim pickings here in northeastern PA. Scored a family pack of pork tenderloin the other day. There’s a small amount of meat everyday but you need to go early before it’s gone.

I actually haven’t been in a grocery store since St. Patties weekend. My wife has been doing the shopping. I try to limit my public exposure to my work place which is high risk.

I was just in our local Giant supermarket this weekend. Plenty of chicken, plenty of frozen seafood, and a decent but not great selection of pork and beef. There were a couple of choice packers but didn’t look too great and were really stiff. I did grab a small beef tenderloin though. Though thinking about it more now, the more affordable beef selections were really limited and ground beef prices are higher now. Which is unfortunate since this store serves a bigger socioeconomic range than some places in this area.

We don’t have a second freezer so I can’t really stock too much away. Which is fine since we’ve got plenty and I don’t want to really hoard what I don’t need or have space for, especially the more affordable selections.

TP, paper towels, cleaners, hand sanitizers are still hard to come by at this store. Haven’t ventured anywhere else since it’s right around the corner from us. But I might take a trip to Sams the next time we’re low.

Meats are still pretty available here, although I haven't been out since last Thursday. I only go to Meijer and GFS. Things like chicken and 70/30 ground beef go fast. In other words the cheaper stuff. I noticed the dry beans were cleaned out. Plenty of milk, cheeses and eggs, but all they had in milk was gallons but it was cheap. The paper towels and TP shelves were full, but sanitizing wipes or hand sanitizer have been unavailable since January. I wonder if those things are made in China. Plenty of bleach. Also plenty of bread and fresh produce, but still no bread flour or yeast. I managed to get the last pork butt at GFS and they even had nitrile gloves!
Off the food subject, I noticed at Meijer that the whole rack of bicycles was empty....

I don't sweat it to death. Stock varies from week to week.
More fresh beef than pork since the recent shutdowns, except local grocery chain had pork spare ribs on sale last week. Added 2 more in the freezer to the 3 already there and debating on pulling a pack for a cook.
Smithfield plant in Sioux Falls started re-opening today
Wish I had more freezer spacer. Live hogs going cheap

Nice gesture forktender forktender

Meat herr in North Texas good. Even got a brisket and ribs this weekend but still no Bread Flour!
Trade you a 50lb sack of the best organic flour you can get damn near anywhere in the USA
"Central Mills Organic Flour in Petaluma CA" for a 25lb brisket? Shipping prices will make up the price differance between the two products? :emoji_joy: :emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Hang in there.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky