How is the meat supply in your area?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I drove up to Edmonton last Thursday. The first hour of Thursday is designated Seniors Only, so the shelves were fully stocked.
Even so, there was no pork tenderloin, loin, or roasts. The only beef roast was eye of round (in cattle country??????). No whole wheat flour, no yeast, no ZipLock freezer bags., chicken breasts but no thighs.
Luckily we just butchered a pig, and I can get half a beef from a rancher friend.

And let me add this. Fork tender, that was one VERY classy thing you did. Proud to know you.
Gary

Reactions: forktender
I don't sweat it to death. Stock varies from week to week.
More fresh beef than pork since the recent shutdowns, except local grocery chain had pork spare ribs on sale last week. Added 2 more in the freezer to the 3 already there and debating on pulling a pack for a cook.
Smithfield plant in Sioux Falls started re-opening today
Wish I had more freezer spacer. Live hogs going cheap

Nice gesture forktender forktender
I had 2 freezers full of 6 pork ribs, 6 pork butts , 3 full 6 bone rib roasts two cut into nice 1 1/2'' thick steaks and the other cut into 2, 3 bone rib roasts all the ducks and geese I killed this season, a wild hog I just processed into link Italian and patty breakfast sausage, and some Moose and Elk steaks and roasts.
All of my self caught wild King/Chinook Salmon and all of my wild Pacific Halibut and Albacore tuna, and some of my self grown green magic butter and green coconut oil infused arthritis pain relief ointment.
(the stuff works like magic on your hands, elbows, neck, knees, ankles and back.) And a freak'in turkey!!!

Anyhow, our house got robbed, and they took my wives Sterling silver set which was huge and some power tools, gas garden tools my shooting bag which had my custom build 1,5000 dollar in ear hearing protection in it. They also stole my Vortex spotting scope and bino's but the most near and dear thing that those dirtbag stole from me was 4 full lanyards of the best duck and goose calls money can buy, it took me over 35 yrs of self vetting and lots of personal feed back from the call builders and all of my duck and goose bands and 2 dog tags from the best Labrador Retrievers that anybody could ever dream of hunting over, Flatout AMAZING dogs.

Sorry about my venting once again.......it kills me that after 16 yrs of being in the same home with absolutely zero theft or anything vandalized. All it took was use being away from the house for 24 hours, someone local was casing the joint out just waiting for the right time..........yup they got us and got us good.

So nothing is safe unless you have somebody home 24/7, 365 days a year.

I'm now a big endorser of freezer door locks and home video surveillance systems.

Keep an eye on your goods because most likely all it takes is you leaving the house for a few hours, which sucks.

Thanks of all the likes guys, they are much appreciated.
Dan

• Sad
Reactions: tallbm
That's lousy. So sorry that happened. The world is terrible right now. Hopefully things will get better. Can't get much worse, right? Stay safe.

I have 0 issues in Sacramento getting meat st the local safeway. Beef pork and bird is plentyful. More sky is falling imho.
I'll take a picture and Costco and Sam's to show you how much the sky has fallen.

RD in Wilmington, DE. Pretty thin when I was in there 5/01

Attachments

• 20200501_150214.jpg
    20200501_150214.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200501_150218.jpg
    20200501_150218.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Sad
(LONG)

I can find TP, and other paper goods, yeast, flour, hand sanitizer, bleach and rubber surgical gloves never were a problem, masks for the past two weeks. I bought 4 pork butts two weeks ago and some pork ribs last week and yesterday, I got really lucky yesterday, it was cleaned out.....they did have a 4 pack of beef lengua, I should've grabbed it, it makes amazing tacos and burritos and sopas.

I haven't been able to find Wet Ones or Lysol wipes or any other type of disinfectant wipes since the lock down. It's been very strange out here, people are being sure nice and helpful for the most part crime is down drastically. Talking to strangers in the store has restored my hopes for this country, it's been a nice change for the most part. People have shared things out of their cart when they saw I missed grabbing one and I've done the same in return many times over.

Heck, I was in line for almost 2 housr 3 weeks ago stocking up on dry good and meat and eggs. The lady in front of me had about 60 cup of noodles in her cart. I jokingly say she must be a student, her reply changed my attitude quickly. She said that her husband of 6 yrs just up and left her and her two young daughters without any warning and that was all she could afford to feed her family. ( you could tell she was terrified)

I asked her to watch my cart, and my wife and I grabbed another cart and loaded it with milk, cheese, flour , eggs , meat, frozen chicken thighs, 6 cans of tuna fish, mayo, juice, yogurt, dried fruit, fresh and frozen veggies, 2 loves of bread and some ice cream and cookies and some Flintstone multi vitamins.
When I got back in line she was just looking at us like she was mad, a few seconds before she went up to check out I grabbed one of the 24 packs of cup of soup off her cart without saying anything. She said take it if you need it that bad. I told her this cart is for her and her girls and I didn't want her wasting her money on the 2 other cases if she didn't have to. She still didn't get that I was buy this cart for her until I said call me when the checker was ready for payment. She was crying when she saw the bill and both of her girls the checker and me and my wife were both crying by this point.

I'm not posting this for an atta boys I'm just saying help others if you can. In the parking lot both of her girls asked if they could give my wife and me hugs. I smiled and said only if it was OK with their mommy,
Dude it was crazy, I never felt anything like that before. I gave the lady my wives cell number and told her to call us if they were ever hungry or if just wanted to say hello, they left us a message on my wives cell that night with all three of them saying thank you so much, if was very, very cool and so very much humbling.

Hang in there everybody and help others if you can and don't feel bad if you have to ask for help, we're all in this crap together.
Dan
I am so proud to know you Dan!
What a wonderful gesture!
Al

No problems with meat here where I work in northeast pa, our meat case is packed along with our coolers. Been getting steady supplies so far.

went to Wally world to pick up a few things go down the meat isle slim pickings of roast, steak,fresh ground, chicken was gone...

going to local butcher in the AM and locate some Tri Tip
Las Vegas

At this point I'm grabbing pork and beef when I find a decent price, I'm still hunting down 2 brisket one to smoke and the other for burger grind. I have some tri tips I could grind if I had to but I'd like to save them for the grill, but we sure like our burgers in the summer time, I'll find something to grind that will make so great burgers that cost less than $7.00 per pound. :emoji_thumbsup:

my self grown green magic butter and green coconut oil infused arthritis pain relief ointment.

Dan, first off, I'm very sorry to hear of the theft. That is terrible. However, you have re-established my waning belief that there are Good People in these trying times. So many just seem to want to Cover Their Own Ass...IN TOILET PAPER... and care less about anyone else!
Please give more detail on this Green Magic Butter. My Wife suffers terribly from Arthritis in her hands and Nothing, prescription or otherwise, has helped. Thanks...JJ

It's almost time to section the cattle to the back portion of the field. I don't raise them to make tender steaks and most of them are older, but I should have enough stew meat and ground beef for awhile should it come to that.

Attachments

• 20190315_123124.jpg
    20190315_123124.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: sawhorseray
Not good, can not get any chicken, and, beef their is verry little pork except ribs, plenty of ribs.

Didn't go to the store this week or last week but the weekend before last week started I finally saw a little bit of TP on the shelves.
Meat has been fine in the N. Texas area.
Very limited powder milk of any kind to be found but it makes sense with people worrying about being able to keep infants fed so I'm not complaining.

forktender forktender I'm sorry to hear about being robbed man that sucks. Usually robbery's occur and are performed by someone that knows the victim personally or sees em all the time. Being gone for a 24hr period and knowing how many people are at home 24/7 right now I would say that fits the bill.

I live in a nice neighborhood but that means nothing. Foot traffic has increased 10X with everyone couped up and wanting to just exercise and walk around or ride bikes etc. I'm gonna be even more mindful and ensure my gate locks, door locks, security lights, and security camera's are a full go.
Also be mindful of what info you share on social media. It often isn't your direct contacts/friends you have to worry about its their contacts/friends or people sitting with them watching over their shoulder you have to worry about.

If anyone in TX hears about live animals being given away or sold for cheap please let me know. I have a large enough extended family that would gladly take any of it as many of them could/would surely use it and they would eat every part of the animal including the moo and the oink haha :D

Last edited:
We all need to search out and introduce ourselves to local meat producers and with that, local meat processors. There are zero shortages of meat at the farm level. So find a local processor or butcher. The price at the end may be higher, but they are stuffed full with supply. The meat is better quality and you are supporting local businesses. Just what I do. I could care less about the grocery meat isles, and for good reason.

The issue here in Iowa with plants being shut down is some farmers having to euthanize animals because they have gotten too big and plants won't take them. The other reason is to make room for younger pigs coming in. Others are euthanizing young pigs and aborting sows. A friend called his local locker back in April, had a beef to butcher, late July was the first opening. Some local organizations have gotten together to buy some of these animals and have them processed (not sure where or how) and are then donating the meat to food pantries, so not a total waste. It is a bad and very sad deal on both ends, for the ones that have the supply and can't get rid of them and also for the ones that can't get any meat.

Forktender, you are a class act for what you went through and then the selfless act of helping someone in need!

Ryan

That looks like Cash and Carry in Modesto !!! I went there and was shocked somewhat but they had been warning about a meat shortage for a couple weeks so the Hoarding has started . I am thinking of going to the sale's yard and buying my pork there and butchering it myself. Hat's off to you for helping someone in need !

Reactions: tallbm
Local Walmart is slim pickings on meat pretty much all the time now, but it hasn't filtered to the independents and smaller grocers yet.
Sure seems like it will.
Many local processors are mostly not taking orders on sides, halves, and wholes, as they are booked more than 2 months and can't guarantee supply.
There's a farm selling nearly 1,000 live hogs at 250-300lb market weight for $140 each because their processor can't/won't take them.
I hope this blows over, I'm getting paranoid it's going to turn into a toilet paper scenario.

Went to Sam's Saturday. No chicken or pork to be found. I managed to get one pack of prime New York strip. Momma wanted ribeye for her birthday but that was the best I could do. I've been trying to stock up so I have some decent things to cook in the mean time. Target was also completely picked over. Nothing was there at all. No meat, pork or chicken at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky