Hot and fast brisket cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gotaf7

Original poster
Apr 29, 2020
Smoking my first brisket this weekend, after reading about the hot and fast method used by cmack cmack and chilerelleno chilerelleno , I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer, do I start the cook with the fat cap up then flip over after a few hours or leave it fat up the whole time, or leave it fat down the whole time? Thanks for any info.

Reactions: kruizer
I do hot and fast brisket, temp 260-280. I start mine fat down for first 2 hours, then I flip for the remaining time. About 5-6 hours foil, double wrap. At this point I may elect to put it on the oven 275F. Cook until probe tender.

RG 20200410_141657.jpg

Reactions: kruizer and Gotaf7
fat cap down all the way through no wrap. the up or down debate is endless - JSYK...

Reactions: Gotaf7
I do mine fat cap up the whole time and I do not wrap. I run my pit at 300-350 the whole time. Turns out like butter after 6 to 8 hrs... My pit is a reverse flow so the heat is actually rolling across the top of the cooker.

Reactions: Gotaf7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky