Brisket trimming advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluefish42

Original poster
Oct 15, 2023
I have never trimmed a brisket before. Based on the videos I've watched, the layer of internal fat on this one seems very large. Should I leave it, or trim a slice out from the middle of the fat? Is the brisket going to cook ok with a three inch internal fat layer? I will smoke it on a pellet smoker overnight tonight.

IMG_1285.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I’d trim a good wedge out of that point fat seam but don’t get carried away and just cook it. Go to probe tender not IT the meat is done when it’s done not when the therm says it’s done.

If your smoking it whole then I would leave it there. Let the fat work its magic. Separate and trim when the brisket is done. There is no right or wrong way of trimming. Everyone has their own approach.

Chris

I have never trimmed a brisket before. Based on the videos I've watched, the layer of internal fat on this one seems very large. Should I leave it, or trim a slice out from the middle of the fat? Is the brisket going to cook ok with a three inch internal fat layer? I will smoke it on a pellet smoker overnight tonight.

View attachment 681610
Hi there and welcome!

That's quite a large bit of deckle fat there.
I'd cut it out and toss it. It will never get soft and edible like the other fat.
When you cut it out just try and get the meat on top and the meat below it to lay flush with each other. Prevents air from getting in and drying those pieces out so much.

Finally, the thin tapered down end portion of the Flat muscle is just going to dry up and burn up on you. I always suggest making an oval shaped cut to remove that meat and repurpose it for stews, grind, etc. so it doesn't go to waste. See here:
full-png.png

This seems like it may be your 1st brisket so here's some IMPORTANT rules to follow:

1. Briskets are never done by time or temp, only when they are tender
  2. Briskets are tender when you can stab ALL OVER with something like a wooden kabob skewer and it goes in without reistance ALL OVER
  3. Please your meat temp probe in the thickest yet center-most portion of the FLAT muscle. Never the Point muscle area. The point will lie to you. It will get tender and be done well before the flat and the point is hard to mess up.
  4. When your temp probe reads 198-200F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat, start checking ALL OVER for tenderness
  5. Plan PLENTY of time. At a steady 275F smoker temp, my briskets take about 1hr 5-10min per pound before the temp probe is telling me to check for tenderness. So a 10 pound brisket would take roughly 11 hours BUT add 4 more hours to your time. So start 15 hours before you plan to eat.
    If you finish early thats fine, just tightly wrap in 2 layers of foil. Then, tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the table or the counter. 4 hours later it should be piping hot and ready to slice and serve.
    If it doesn't finish close to the rough hour per pound estimate I am giving then you have 4 more hours of runway to let it finish on time :D
  6. If you wrap, there is DEFFINITELY a point of wrapping too early which will make your brisket taste like roast beef instead of bbq brisket.
    I always recommend waiting until 180F IT of the meat to wrap.
    You will see see people talking about rapping at like 160-165F when it hits the stall. What you rarely see them say is that they let it sit in the stall for a good while before wrapping.
    Also they don't mention they wrap to speed through the stall and that is their whole purpose for wrapping.
    If you just plan enough time you don't have to worry about it and you get better flavor the longer you wait to wrap.
  7. Finally, a brisket does not care what temp you cook it at so crank that heat up! I do mine at 275F but that's the real top limit for my electrical smoker. Some other guys go higher, but you get the idea. Just don't burn it and it will be happy. 275F is a good temp and 225F is basically a pointless temp for a brisket.... because it doesn't care. So crank up and speed up that way :D

I hope this info helps and best of luck on the brisket! :D

Buy "cut proof" gloves, you will be surprised how many times they will save your hand/s.
Don't trim a warm brisket, it's much easier to do with a very cold one.
Use one hand to lift the brisket and trim the highest point while supporting it.
Buy or use a VERY sharp fileting knife.
Some very well known and successful BBQ joints don't trim at all.
Some don't apply any rub at all and rely on the smoke to add flavor.

Buy "cut proof" gloves, you will be surprised how many times they will save your hand/s.
too much truth in this. First brisket I trimmed I cut the bejeesus out of my hand. Probably needed stitches. But I did what every ER nurse has done. Folded a piece of gauze and put it tight on the cut, put a large piece of duct tape over that. Wore a latex glove on thst hand. Bout some cut proof gloves that week.
lots of great advice above. Good luck with the brisket. And remember….Pics or it didn’t happen. 😂

Jim

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky