Hose water to wash dishes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
My friend and I were discussing making an outdoor sink for my BBQ area. Initially we were going with just a small stainless steel bar sink for hand washing only. Using a garden hose since this water will not be used to drink or cook. We were tossing around the idea of using a plastic slop sink which would be cheaper but also much larger. So my question is... I know you can't drink hose water safely because of lead and what not...and I know hot water is ideal for washing dishes... But can you safely wash large pans and utensils with hose water as the source of this sink? I see on the internet plastic filet tables with hose fed sinks. Maybe just for hand washing but you would think that same water might be used to clean that table top which then comes into contact with the fish or other game.

Is this a crazy question? Haha thanks for any insight.

Save yourself some work and expense...   Use disposable gloves....   Those clear plastic, one size fits all are cheap....  personally I like the nitrile..  and your guests will think you are professional....   1000 gloves $12....  and they will come in handy around the homestead...  in the garage too...   in the garden....   changing diapers....  

Last edited:
Wow, growing up in the 60's and 70's the Hose WAS our drinking water. Playing all day in dirt and in the woods, you would have your A$$ handed to you for tracking that dirt through Mom's clean house just to get a drink of water. IMO, I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, these reports are not unlike the recent anything Cured will Kill you reports. Sure, use a Hose as the sole supply of water to your house for drinking, cooking, cleaning and bathing and it could be dangerous. Wash a Pan in your outdoor sink once in awhile for convenience sake or Wet a rag and wipe the table. I highly doubt there will be any issue whatsoever. Heck, what volume of residual water is on the pan after rinsing? One 1/4 maybe 1/2 ounce? Less on the table? There has to be a bigger health risk from Breathing the Wood Smoke for 10 hours, using Salt and Sugar in your Rub, Eating 8 to 12 ounces of Fatty Pulled Pork and having a couple of Beers or Sugary Sodas, all the while having the Suns UV Rays ravage your skin cells. Lead Free Hoses are available at any Hardware Store...JJ 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: grillard

Wow, growing up in the 60's and 70's the Hose WAS our drinking water. Playing all day in dirt and in the woods, you would have your A$$ handed to you for tracking that dirt through Mom's clean house just to get a drink of water. IMO, I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, these reports are not unlike the recent anything Cured will Kill you reports. Sure, use a Hose as the sole supply of water to your house for drinking, cooking, cleaning and bathing and it could be dangerous. Wash a Pan in your outdoor sink once in awhile for convenience sake or Wet a rag and wipe the table. I highly doubt there will be any issue whatsoever. Heck, what volume of residual water is on the pan after rinsing? One 1/4 maybe 1/2 ounce? Less on the table? There has to be a bigger health risk from Breathing the Wood Smoke for 10 hours, using Salt and Sugar in your Rub, Eating 8 to 12 ounces of Fatty Pulled Pork and having a couple of Beers or Sugary Sodas, all the while having the Suns UV Rays ravage your skin cells. Lead Free Hoses are available at any Hardware Store...JJ 
icon_rolleyes.gif

haha I agree with you.  I grew up drinking hose water as a kid all summer long.  And for that matter water from water fountains that tastes like dirty pennies...Not usually an alarmist about stuff like this but since this sink will be used when entertaining others I wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any serious hazards of doing this.   This is not going to be for drinking at all so I guess you are right and I should maybe go for the cheaper and larger option.  Thanks as always!

Save yourself some work and expense...   Use disposable gloves....   Those clear plastic, one size fits all are cheap....  personally I like the nitrile..  and your guests will think you are professional....   1000 gloves $12....  and they will come in handy around the homestead...  in the garage too...   in the garden....   changing diapers....  

The work will be minimal, as will the expense especially because slop sinks can be found cheap, I have tons of wood I can use to make some kind of inclosure (so the wife doesn't ask why the laudry sink is on the deck, and it will be a fun project.  I also like the convenience of rinsing, washing pans and untenils outside.  I do have plenty of those gloves around for cooking but I get frustrated with them haha

I have a laundry sink in my backyard that I wash pans, smoker grates, tools, & we pot plants in there. Been doing it for years. No problems yet. 

Al

Here's a photo.

Here is Smokin Al's fine setup.  Just admiring it!

cceea93a_IMG_1359.jpeg
You could always have a hot water bib added to your outside setup from the hot water source.

I HAVE used the hose for many years without incident.  Well, perhaps just one.  When I started cooking I had brunette hair, and now it is more grey than brunette.  Never made the connection to it being the hose water until now..
th_crybaby2.gif

Gonna tell the home boss 
wife.gif
 to call the Center for Disease Control. . . . . . .

Thanks for the "heads up".  Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I have thought about doing this as well hose water doesn't bother me I grew up drinking it out of the hose and still do from time to time if you are going to enclose it I know they make small at source hot water heaters for camping could be worth looking at to do dishes

Remember the drinking fountains that screwed on the hose bib ? 

Just saw one one e bay brand new ( as in still making them ) with a faucet and a fountain . 

Thats exactly what I was thinking about Al.  Does it just drain into the ground next to the sink?
Hey Chris,

Yes it does.

I bought it at HD and it came as a package including the faucet and all the plumbing for the faucet & the plumbing for the drain. I just added a piece of PVC & ran the drain water into the bushes. Not sure but I think the whole pkg. was $89 or $99.

Al

Hey Chris,

Yes it does.

I bought it at HD and it came as a package including the faucet and all the plumbing for the faucet & the plumbing for the drain. I just added a piece of PVC & ran the drain water into the bushes. Not sure but I think the whole pkg. was $89 or $99.

Al

Al,

Is it glacier bay by any chance? I see someone right nearby has a brand new one on Craigslist for $50!

I just checked it didn't come up.

Maybe Lowe's.

But $50 sounds like a deal, I'd go for it!

Al

Hhaha a little bad luck. The guy who posted it on Craigslist supplied the wrong phone number and no other way to contact him. I got this message when I tried to text him. "Someone listed my number by mistake. I am not selling anything"

Like most everybody I know growing up in the 50's and 60's The water hose was our main drinking water source .

If you are really concerned get a Lead & BPA free safe drinking water hose (Amazon has a 50' for about 20 bucks

But I don't think doing a few dishes will hurt you

Gary

If you don't have gravel and just soil, the ground will become mushie and muddy. if you take a short piece of pipe, dig a hole and bury it to ground level, fill with crushed river rock  or gravel. I use white river rock under my gratings ( but the color fades with age), to drain the water properly. I see Al has pavers on gravel. Maybe a 6"x 24" PVC. Ask Home depot whomever you get the sink from for their broken pieces in the bone pile.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky