Hose water to wash dishes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In general water hose water is safe to drink and use to cook with. It is the same potable water that comes into the rest of the house, which is treated water from your local water plant. It would be very odd to have a house with two separate water feeds, one potable and one not. Things might be slightly different if you were on well water and have some kind of in house filter for your kitchen and bathroom sinks, but then you would know it if you did.

In general water hose water is safe to drink and use to cook with. It is the same potable water that comes into the rest of the house, which is treated water from your local water plant. It would be very odd to have a house with two separate water feeds, one potable and one not. Things might be slightly different if you were on well water and have some kind of in house filter for your kitchen and bathroom sinks, but then you would know it if you did.
JC...This was thread was started because of reports in Huffington Post and others, reporting virtually all tested Garden Hoses give of unsafe levels of Lead and BPA. Sounds to me like you would have to drink hose water exclusively to see any effect...
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
...JJ

WHAT????

Please tell me your source for the information that water from a hose is harmful. In every place I've lived, the hose bibs at my homes were connected to the same water supply with the same type of conduit (copper or PVC, in some cases) as my kitchen sink and every other place where water was connected. A rubberized or plastic garden hose might - and I say that from an excess of caution - MIGHT impart a smell or taste to the water it delivers and there is a possibility that dirt or insects can inhabit the hose, but it it is flushed for a couple of gallons or so, I see no reason to believe that the water is contaminated enough making it unsafe.

Of course, if you live in a area where gray water is supplied by the municipality for irrigation and IF your water bib is connected to gray water, BI ALL MEANS DO NOT USE IT FOR DRINKING OR WASHING DISHES.

It was unclear to me from the OP just how you planned to use the outdoor sink. Are you just going to wash off the heavy gunk before taking dishes inside where they will be washed? Or, are you planning to wash them in the outdoor sink and reuse them there? If the latter, use one tiny drop of chlorine bleach in the wash water and rinse them thoroughly. That should be a lot more hygienic than most people experience when camping - especially wilderness camping.

As with any food safety issue, however, if in doubt, leave it out!!!!!!

WHAT????

Of course, if you live in a area where gray water is supplied by the municipality for irrigation and IF your water bib is connected to gray water, BI ALL MEANS DO NOT USE IT FOR DRINKING OR WASHING DISHES.

Federal guidelines established by the NSF and AWWA now allow anywhere from 5 to 15% nationally. That's re-newed potable water. Which is basically waste water which had been filtered and chemicals added. 

The reason being not cost, renewed water is much more expensive the ground water, its because of the availablity of potable water. Nearly all cities in the US already use 2% min., with large cities using more. Overseas some governments allow as much as 35%.

Its no worse than drinking out the water hose....LOL

WHAT????

Please tell me your source for the information that water from a hose is harmful. In every place I've lived, the hose bibs at my homes were connected to the same water supply with the same type of conduit (copper or PVC, in some cases) as my kitchen sink and every other place where water was connected. A rubberized or plastic garden hose might - and I say that from an excess of caution - MIGHT impart a smell or taste to the water it delivers and there is a possibility that dirt or insects can inhabit the hose, but it it is flushed for a couple of gallons or so, I see no reason to believe that the water is contaminated enough making it unsafe.

It was unclear to me from the OP just how you planned to use the outdoor sink. Are you just going to wash off the heavy gunk before taking dishes inside where they will be washed? Or, are you planning to wash them in the outdoor sink and reuse them there? If the latter, use one tiny drop of chlorine bleach in the wash water and rinse them thoroughly. That should be a lot more hygienic than most people experience when camping - especially wilderness camping.

As with any food safety issue, however, if in doubt, leave it out!!!!!!
I don't buy it. But here read all about It...JJ

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...ie=UTF-8#q=is drinking from a water hose safe

Like everybody else, I grew up drinking from a hose--still do (untreated well water).  When we built this house, we plumbed both hot and cold outdoor taps, and use the hot water all the time to rinse or wash dishes.

Gary

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky