Large Vertical smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jboyp

Original poster
May 24, 2023
Jon from SW Missouri. Fairly new to this side of smoking(building). I have built one other smoker for a friend a few years ago, but he gave me the info and I built his reverse flow for him because I could weld. Have smoked a little using meatheads recommendations. Wanting to build this to help with family get together's and not be cooking all the time(Large Familys). We had a large propane tank that has been cut down to about 8 foot. I tack welded those ends together tonight. I fell in love with the idea of the vertical idea and found a youtube video that I mostly want to pattern my build after. One of his recommendations, if he were to build it again, was to make the exit stack not be right at the top, but rather come down further. Control it with louvers. I have been mulling this over. Would the smoke reach the top? do i need to put 3 vent exhaust stacks on and damper control to get a more controlled heat and smoke? I can link his video if people are interested in what he did... and his changes are in the comment section. I could also hand draw what I am thinking to do. Another goal is for it to rotate (another suggestion of his). The other question I have at the moment is can my "firebox" be round. I have a 21 inch wide piece of pipe 1/2 inch thick that I thought I could use for the firebox and then wrap it in insulation and use a pressure tank to encapsulate it. Also plan on putting a PID on a blower for the firebox. to control the temp. Other than a water tray in the bottom, I plan on figguring out a way to catch the drippings. Am I missing anything? Thoughts?

Reactions: JLeonard

Check out Roberts build. You may catch some ideas from him. Look forward to pics of your build.

Jim

Reactions: jboyp

Check out Roberts build. You may catch some ideas from him. Look forward to pics of your build.

Jim
This was an insightful read. I need to remember to get pictures as I go along. That post answered the smoke stake question. I will keep it in the top middle - witch will make the rotisserie part a little bit more challenging. I will have to think about the heat deflector since mine will come in from the side. Thanks for the link and info!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from ND
May find some answers in the search forum for smoker builds , othewise some experienced people will be along.
daveomak daveomak ???
I have tried to search a little bit for different info. Always learning something new. I was wondering if I posted this in the wrong area... Thanks!

welcome Jon from near stl mo! i'm planning to build a horizontal offset at some point this year, but the flow for that will be wildly different from a vertical smoker, so i don't know that i'll be of much help. still interested in the build, though. start a thread in the 'smoker builds' area and i'm sure some folks that are smarter than i am will offer advice!

The reason we ask to start a new thread in the build section is because not to many people come and look at the roll call section... But they will cruise the build section... This is why we say you will get more help there ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky