Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just opened my last jar for Jan. 3rd . You're right they keep getting better . I need to make some more before these are gone .

Just opened my last jar for Jan. 3rd . You're right they keep getting better . I need to make some more before these are gone .

Yea it's bad if you run out, I always keep a couple of jars in the fridge at all times.
Al

I had tried these and waited a week before popping one quart open to try. They still tasted like cucumbers to me, with out any real change in color. I also noticed dried salt on the jar from the brine. I really don’t think I put too much salt in, not that that would cause my issue anyways... I vac sealed them, so I don’t know what my issue was??? I did leave a bit of head space, enough where I could see air if I flipped them over, but also high enough to make a brine mess after removing the vacuum can adapter! Maybe my issue was that the brine was not hot, but just kinda warm when I poured into the jars and canned??? Anyone have any thoughts?

I had tried these and waited a week before popping one quart open to try. They still tasted like cucumbers to me, with out any real change in color. I also noticed dried salt on the jar from the brine. I really don’t think I put too much salt in, not that that would cause my issue anyways... I vac sealed them, so I don’t know what my issue was??? I did leave a bit of head space, enough where I could see air if I flipped them over, but also high enough to make a brine mess after removing the vacuum can adapter! Maybe my issue was that the brine was not hot, but just kinda warm when I poured into the jars and canned??? Anyone have any thoughts?

I suspect that your problem is that you didn't get enough of a vacuum in the jar. Just vacuum it back up & check it in another week. Without any vacuum, they take 6 weeks.
Al

What Al said . Wanted to ask , when you opened the jar did it pop like it had a good seal ?
Also , I did some slices and just used regular cucumbers . they took alot longer than the pickling cukes .

I’ll revac that jar. Yes that jar has a good seal like all the other jars I made. Not one single jar has changed from cuke color to the pickle color. I think I should have used hot water to pour in, that way it would get absolute vacuum, if my vacuum sealer can’t do it by itself!

My cucumbers are starting to come on strong . Made 3 quart jars and 1 pint jar . I use this recipe to do jalapeno slices also . It all comes out fantastic .
20180704_132649.jpg

I’ll revac that jar. Yes that jar has a good seal like all the other jars I made. Not one single jar has changed from cuke color to the pickle color. I think I should have used hot water to pour in, that way it would get absolute vacuum, if my vacuum sealer can’t do it by itself!

I always use hot water right from the stove. I heat the brine to a boil, then pour it over the cukes.
Al

Best Pickles you will ever eat, make em like Al says. Gunna put up a couple more jars today.

Gary

Reactions: chopsaw
I took the plunge and made up a batch today. 4 jars regular, 2 jars of hot green beans, 1 jar hot pickles and 1 jar of hot left over pickle chunks and jalapenos. I have a food saver and did the vacuum seal with mason jars. Can't wait to try them!

Safety question: In the green bean and pickle chunks jars a few floated up and may not be completely submerged - is this a problem? Should I dump them? For absolute clarity these were not hot processed and will always be in the fridge.
Thanks!

a few floated up and may not be completely submerged
I've had the same thing happen , and had the same concern as you . Mine were fine . I've used this same recipe to do jalapeno slices ( vac'd in mason jars ) and I had to let them go a little longer than the cukes . Might be the same with fresh green beans ,,, not sure . It makes great pickles ,,, enjoy .

I took the plunge and made up a batch today. 4 jars regular, 2 jars of hot green beans, 1 jar hot pickles and 1 jar of hot left over pickle chunks and jalapenos. I have a food saver and did the vacuum seal with mason jars. Can't wait to try them!

Safety question: In the green bean and pickle chunks jars a few floated up and may not be completely submerged - is this a problem? Should I dump them? For absolute clarity these were not hot processed and will always be in the fridge.
Thanks!

As chopsaw said, they will be fine, they just won't have quite as much flavor as the one's that are completly submerged.
I have been taking a large slice of onion & putting it on top of the pickles to keep them all submerged.
Al

I've had the same thing happen , and had the same concern as you . Mine were fine . I've used this same recipe to do jalapeno slices ( vac'd in mason jars ) and I had to let them go a little longer than the cukes . Might be the same with fresh green beans ,,, not sure . It makes great pickles ,,, enjoy .

As chopsaw said, they will be fine, they just won't have quite as much flavor as the one's that are completly submerged.
I have been taking a large slice of onion & putting it on top of the pickles to keep them all submerged.
Al

Sounds good, thanks for the advice guys!

Check with Smokin AL I think he can guide you through the whole process

Gary

I'm new to this site. How do I find your vacuum pickle recipe. Tried searching. I find all the great reviews but can't seem to find the actual recipe. Thanks

As chopsaw said it's the very first post. The recipe is the same whether you vacuum them or not, they just get done much quicker in the vac canisters. I originally made this thread without knowing that vacuuming them would work so well, so I edited the original post for vac canisters when I figured it out..
Al

I did not use the alum . My chemistry major son suggested we didn't need it for a cold pack pickle .

He's right. Alum will help with fermented pickles but has no effect on quick process pickles. The USDA recommends not using alum in this application. If you use fresh cukes and cut off the blossom end, they'll be crunchy.

Reactions: chopsaw
He's right. Alum will help with fermented pickles but has no effect on quick process pickles. The USDA recommends not using alum in this application. If you use fresh cukes and cut off the blossom end, they'll be crunchy.

That is very interesting because the only reason these pickles are quick process is because of the vacuum canisters. Without the vacuum, the pickles would not be a quick process as they take up to 6 weeks to get a good flavor.
Could you point me to the USDA article that says alum should not be used in refrigerator pickles? I woulld like to read it for myself.
Thanks,
Al

Alum expetiment. Hey All, so I made a batch today and decided to run a test on the alum question. I made 4 jars regular, 3 hot (extra hot actually), and 1 regular minus the alum. I figure I'll keep 1 regular and the sans alum about 2 months before I open then do a head-to-head taste test. May enlist my pub crew for a truly independent taste test. I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, I'm just curious ;) So I'll post back in a couple months unless there are recommendations for a change of time table. Oh, these are all in mason jars using the foodsaver jar attachment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky