1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by SmokinAl, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I will be interested to see the results. My pickle recipe has always included alum, but the original recipe was for pickles that were put in a water bath canner & heated. Obviously I don't do that anymore, so if I don't need the alum, then I wouldn't use it. I have not found any references at the USDA that say not to use alum, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Maybe @bregent can point me to the article!
    Al

2. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I don't use the alum in in the ones I do . Opened a jar last night , they were vac'd but are about 7 months old . So good . Nice and crisp too . Had extra jalapeno's in that jar . Had good heat to them .

Al , I have read the article about not needing the alum for refrigerator pickles , but I sure can't find it now .
    Edit
    Look thru this . Makes a comment about USDA and alum in the ingredient list .

3. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks Chop, my next batch I will do without the alum, but that won't be for a few months. I use the dill flowers in my pickles and they don't flower for a few months yet. But I have a lot of it growing, so this year maybe I can make enough to last until next year. I'm out now & eating Clausen's, not the same. And like you I put jalapenos in mine so they are spicy garlic dills!
    Thanks for the follow up!
    Al

4. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am doing this soon. I have made garlic dills before but could never get the crisp snap. Way to go AL !!! And yes I am sure this goes well along side of a good pastrami sammy. Thanks for sharing your method and recipe !

HT

5. SmokinAl

Your very welcome HT!
    Al

6. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I apologize if I missed it even though I swear I read this entire thread a few times, what's the deal with the ice?

7. SmokinAl

Icing down the cukes before processing them helps to keep them crisp.
    At least that is what I was told when this recipe was given to me several years ago.
    Al

zwiller likes this.