Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Alum expetiment. Hey All, so I made a batch today and decided to run a test on the alum question. I made 4 jars regular, 3 hot (extra hot actually), and 1 regular minus the alum. I figure I'll keep 1 regular and the sans alum about 2 months before I open then do a head-to-head taste test. May enlist my pub crew for a truly independent taste test. I'm not trying to prove anyone right or wrong, I'm just curious ;) So I'll post back in a couple months unless there are recommendations for a change of time table. Oh, these are all in mason jars using the foodsaver jar attachment.

I will be interested to see the results. My pickle recipe has always included alum, but the original recipe was for pickles that were put in a water bath canner & heated. Obviously I don't do that anymore, so if I don't need the alum, then I wouldn't use it. I have not found any references at the USDA that say not to use alum, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Maybe @bregent can point me to the article!
Al

I don't use the alum in in the ones I do . Opened a jar last night , they were vac'd but are about 7 months old . So good . Nice and crisp too . Had extra jalapeno's in that jar . Had good heat to them .

Al , I have read the article about not needing the alum for refrigerator pickles , but I sure can't find it now .
Edit
Look thru this . Makes a comment about USDA and alum in the ingredient list .

I don't use the alum in in the ones I do . Opened a jar last night , they were vac'd but are about 7 months old . So good . Nice and crisp too . Had extra jalapeno's in that jar . Had good heat to them .

Al , I have read the article about not needing the alum for refrigerator pickles , but I sure can't find it now .
Edit
Look thru this . Makes a comment about USDA and alum in the ingredient list .

Thanks Chop, my next batch I will do without the alum, but that won't be for a few months. I use the dill flowers in my pickles and they don't flower for a few months yet. But I have a lot of it growing, so this year maybe I can make enough to last until next year. I'm out now & eating Clausen's, not the same. And like you I put jalapenos in mine so they are spicy garlic dills!
Thanks for the follow up!
Al

I am doing this soon. I have made garlic dills before but could never get the crisp snap. Way to go AL !!! And yes I am sure this goes well along side of a good pastrami sammy. Thanks for sharing your method and recipe !

HT

Your very welcome HT!
Al

I apologize if I missed it even though I swear I read this entire thread a few times, what's the deal with the ice?

I apologize if I missed it even though I swear I read this entire thread a few times, what's the deal with the ice?

Icing down the cukes before processing them helps to keep them crisp.
At least that is what I was told when this recipe was given to me several years ago.
Al

Reactions: zwiller
I am going to try this as it sounds great. I have the cukes on ice now and just looked for the garlic but found I do not have the jarred minced garlic. Has any one ever used dried minced garlic?

I've had these pickles with alum and without it. I've noticed that the ones with alum were a bit more crisp. So I'll continue to use it. I use 1/4 teaspoon per quart jar.

That's what I thought. Off to the store for garlic. May as well get fresh cloves vs the jarred stuff. I need vinegar too after I looked. Didn't think this thru very well did I. LOL.

Everybody raves about these so I bought some more cukes while I was out. May as well make the trip worth while.
Bought a corned beef on sale for making some pastrami to go with these pickles.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just opened a jar of slices , that I did last august when the garden cropped out . Boston pickles. Vac'd for 6 months . Man they were good .

I grew all mine last summer . I think i had about 20 jars , sliced and Spears. Into my last 4 jars .

Will I did it. all packed up for the 6 week rest.
20190310_140651_resized.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky