First set of 2023 Pickles / preserves B+B, Mustard. Shelf stable

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
First set of 2023 Pickles / preserves Shelf stable for over a year ( not in my house lol )

Well it has been a busy few weeks with too much going on here at home ( sad times )

Mona found me some cukes at a good price and not bad ones , some a little small.
But that means pickle time

14 bottles of Bread and Butter, 1 broke . First time that has ever happened to me. Might have been a small crack in the bottle I did not see.
6 bottles of Mustard ( and 1 bottle of sauce ) I use this when I have extra from the cook on lots of things and even for a marinate

Slice up my cukes , red pepper and onions , it with salt for 3 hours, rinse and drain
Bottle and into the bath. Shelf stable for over a year if they ever last that long.

DSC_8382.JPG
DSC_8383.JPG

DSC_8384.JPG

Made 2 batches of these , now for the Mustard pickles
Little different, Cut cukes and onions salt for 2 hours , rinse and drain. Boil sauce for 5 minutes , add veg , boil for 10 minutes
Bottle and that is it .
I need to make another batch of the mustard.

DSC_8392.JPG
DSC_8393.JPG

DSC_8397.JPG

DSC_8398.JPG

DSC_8399.JPG

We had no cherry's or apples this year , late cold snap hurt the trees, but all the rain we had really helped the Concord Grapes. They should be ready soon for some jam or Jelly

Thanks for looking

I must go and clean up the yard from all the downed branches from Hurricane Lee.

David

Attachments

• DSC_8391.JPG
    DSC_8391.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_8390.JPG
    DSC_8390.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_8389.JPG
    DSC_8389.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_8388.JPG
    DSC_8388.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_8387.JPG
    DSC_8387.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 7
Damn man . Fantastic . Give me a fork I'd eat those bread and butter right out of the bowl .
Spoon them on a sandwich . Nice work bud .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Man I love some bread and butter pickles, I can eat them like candy!
great looking batch of pickles you got there.

Jim

Wow, you'll be all set when the apocalypse comes.
You have concord grapes, that is awesome.
We love them but you can't ever get them in the markets except extremely rare occasions.
Doubt they would grow here (high dessert) or I'd plant some.

Damn man . Fantastic . Give me a fork I'd eat those bread and butter right out of the bowl .
Spoon them on a sandwich . Nice work bud .

Thanks Rich for the like and the comment
I am same as you I can eat them right out of the bottle, and have on most of my meals on the plate.
But need to make another batch of the mustard, that will not be enough for the year.

David

Man I love some bread and butter pickles, I can eat them like candy!
great looking batch of pickles you got there.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment
You are right they really are just like candy. Have BBQ sausages for supper tonight and they will be filled with the B+B for sure.

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks fantastic David! One of these days I'll get on board canning so I can have goodies in the winter!

Wow, you'll be all set when the apocalypse comes.
You have concord grapes, that is awesome.
We love them but you can't ever get them in the markets except extremely rare occasions.
Doubt they would grow here (high dessert) or I'd plant some.

Thanks Bruce for the like and the comment

They might make it till this time next year. But hard to say.
Mona likes to give them to here family , But this year will be different as we moved in a couple different members of her family into the house , so they might get eaten even more now , :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_angry:

As for the grapes yes they grow up here good, but this year, will be a very good crop.

David

Reactions: 02ebz06
Looks fantastic David! One of these days I'll get on board canning so I can have goodies in the winter!

Thanks Jeff for the comment

That is why I try to do them every year. I know I can but cheaper in the store ,
but no where near the same kind of pickles or flavours :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Side note Jeff, How is your daughter doing in her new home ??

Those B&B pickles look really good David! I'm not a huge fan of them except for on sandwiches. I bet these would rock in the dept. for me!

Those pickles look great David. That would be a life time supply for me - times 2. Our Concords didn't produce either because of the early frost. Even the apple orchards in the area are hurting. No pick your own because of the low crop yield total bummer.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice David, I have never salted my pickle slices (dill) before, just pour the hot pickiling spice, water/vinegar blend over them. What does the salt do for these?

Good looking pickles David. I got to try those mustard. I had jar break last time but it was becauce I forgot to put rack in bottom. They rattle around a lot without it.

Awesome looking stash should last a while. I have a granddaughter that would eat a jar of the bread and butter in one sitting. The girl loves just about any kind of pickle.

Warren

Those pickles look great David. That would be a life time supply for me - times 2. Our Concords didn't produce either because of the early frost. Even the apple orchards in the area are hurting. No pick your own because of the low crop yield total bummer.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

They should last ( make one more batch of the Mustard ) until next summer, as a couple of the folks Mona gives them to now live in the house with us , lol
Or that could mean they have easier access to them and they get eaten faster.

Time will tell.

Yes very bad spring , warm early than a big cold snap, I had now Cherrys, plums . May 1 dozen ugly apples off of 3 trees. 4 ugly and 1 perfect pear off od 2 trees.
But as of right now the Concord Grapes are doing well. So hoping for maybe jam or jelly, to happen soon

DSC_8406.JPG

DSC_8409.JPG

DSC_8410.JPG

David

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice David, I have never salted my pickle slices (dill) before, just pour the hot pickiling spice, water/vinegar blend over them. What does the salt do for these?

Thanks Cliff for the like and the comment

I have always done this with the salt, (1) because it was in the recipe and (2) I was told it helps make them crunchy.
But here is a clip from a site that explains it

From a web site from 2010:

You will need a recipe, most of which will tell you to salt your sliced cucumbers and let them sit for about 3 hours (more is better). This salt treatment draws water out of the cucumbers and flavors them, so it’s critically important. After layering or mixing in plenty of sea salt, I cover the salted cukes with ice cubes and a tea towel and forget about them for a few hours. By then, the cut cucumbers are swimming in a salty brine of cucumber juice and melted ice. If you’re running behind, you can drain off some of the liquid and add more ice cubes, which won’t hurt your pickles and may make them better. When I’m ready to pickle, I drain the sliced cukes and rinse them well to remove excess salt.

The reason to follow a recipe is that the right balance of vinegar, sugar and salt have been worked out for you, so you know the brine (the pickling liquid) will achieve the right level of acidity and flavor. Bread-and-butter pickles are a great choice for beginners because they always turn out well, or you can try your hand with various sour pickles, including fermented ones. Traditional salt-brined pickles are great, but not as fast or easy to make as other types of pickles.

But if your way works , then I would stick with that. I have just always did the salt and rinse and drain

Hope that hepls

Reactions: clifish
Good looking pickles David. I got to try those mustard. I had jar break last time but it was becauce I forgot to put rack in bottom. They rattle around a lot without it.

Thanks Brian for the like and the comment

I love the mustard it really was the only one I made for years until I found this B+B in a book, now I always do both. I love the juice in the mustard pickle , and use it for a lot of things.

Yes with out the wire on the bottom of the pot , they seem to rattle a bit. But at 180 - 185 deg F , the water is not boiling but cooking/preserving the preserves, to a safe internal temp.
So i was shocked when I picked up the bottle in the bath and the bottom just stayed , it was funny the way they just slid out.
so only 13 instead of 14 bottles. Still a good batch ( 2 batches , 7 each )

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky