Frendly poll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

makeme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Mid Missouri
I am not new here but have not been here in a good while.  I have a question and would like some input, so please indulge me and be as honest as you can.

If you live close to a store and they have something you want or need but you could also get it off the internet and it may be a bit cheaper, say in most cases no sales tax with maybe no shipping but its going to be ordered from someone out of your state and may even be coming through foreigner channels by way of drop shipping, which you may or not know, would you?

A.  Order it through the internet and save a few bucks and deal with customer service long distance, if things go south on you?

B.  Buy local and pay a bit more, knowing the money will be supporting your local community and take it home today, knowing you can deal face to face with a local?

C.  Go look at it in a local shop decide if you like it, then order it off the internet to save a buck or two and take your chances?

I order plenty from the internet and other than being a little disappointed in the product or taking longer than I expected I have had good luck.  I do wish I could at least look things over before I purchase and if it was available I probable would buy it on the spot. 

In light of the economy and all the talk about bringing jobs back to the USA creating jobs I wonder if people have changed their shopping habits.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and by the way I am not just talking about bbq related items but anything you may want or need.

Last edited:
im from a small town so if i can pick something up in town I will

(unless there is a BIG saving from ordering over the internet.)

You forgot option D-- Buy it local because I want it now not wait for it to get here
biggrin.gif

Option D always buy local if possible

I live in a town of 1000 population, (1 small grocery store)  30 miles from any decent stores, town of 100.,000  population. I try to buy local when i can, but many times, I am very busy running the bar and can not drive that far. I would say that I get about 35% of the stuff I purchace online.

You forgot option D-- Buy it local because I want it now not wait for it to get here
biggrin.gif
See B.

B.  Buy local and pay a bit more, knowing the money will be supporting your local community and take it home today, knowing you can deal face to face with a local?

I live in a town of 1000 population, (1 small grocery store)  30 miles from any decent stores, town of 100.,000  population. I try to buy local when i can, but many times, I am very busy running the bar and can not drive that far. I would say that I get about 35% of the stuff I purchase on line.
I have about the same situation but a town of 1000,000 is a lot further, 150 miles.  I just bought a 4.00oz bottle of honing oil for 4.25, shipping was 6.15.  I thought it was on an order from Amazon with free shipping because I ordered other stuff but this came from an outside store not connected with other things I bought that had free shipping, needless to say I was a bit upset.  I realize there is a lot of items I have bought that are not available in my area so its almost a must do situation.  I will buy it if it is in my hands and only a little difference, everything else considered .

Last edited:
If it's a ma & pa type place then I always go local because you can get to know them and them you. Plus they most likely will let you try whatever you are looking at in the back before you buy it. If it's just some big chain down the road then do whatever saves you time and money and is more convenient for you. If $2 will make a huge difference in your life than save it and do what it takes.

Oh, the other option, if you are looking for opinions on something to do with food and you're not in a hurry, make a post hear and you'll get more opinions than you probably wanted! but good ones.

I have about the same situation but a town of 1000,000 is a lot further, 150 miles.  I just bought a 4.00oz bottle of honing oil for 4.25, shipping was 6.15.  I thought it was on an order from Amazon with free shipping because I ordered other stuff but this came from an outside store not connected with other things I bought that had free shipping, needless to say I was a bit upset.  I realize there is a lot of items I have bought that are not available in my area so its almost a must do situation.  I will buy it if it is in my hands and only a little difference, everything else considered .
Makeme, take a look at your Honing oil...Most of the Pro's I have dealt with use Mineral Oil...Couple of dollars a bottle in the Laxative Isle at the local megamart...I have a 14" Tri-Stone that I have had for 15 years, well my Cheffie daughter has it at the CIA, but Mineral Oil is all I have ever used...

To the Original Post...Personally, I will try to by local when ever possible but for a $20 plus dollar savings I will buy on line...When I purchased for the various restaurants I worked, I would not dog a purveyor who provided good service for anything less than 50 cents a pound...Having a Sales Guy hand deliver 2 cases of Wings after the Superbowl Kick-Off is Priceless!...JJ

Do what's best for you, not what you think may be best for someone else.

I did the buy local thing, only to find that when it was time for most of those business owners to respond in like....they went and did business over the internet and the like because it was cheaper.

One example.....a local hardware/lumber yard where I had done literally thousands of dollars in business over several years went with an out of area fencing company, rather than ours, to replace and expand the fencing at their business after a fire. Needless to say I don't step foot in the place anymore...and that's just one example

And so it goes!!!!!

Now I buy as cheap as I can, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
I needed a usb cord for my camera...... radio shack 29.99, Walmart 18.00, Amazon 1.69 ....... works great.... What is local anymore..... There all gone cause of the big chain stores...well around here they are

Joe

B. Whenever possible, I try to keep my money local. But with an example like Boykjo's I'll go elsewhere.

Small Town,, WalMart ran all the "Mom&Pop" store out of business. The stores that did survive buy as cheap stuff as the can to compete. I have to drive a hour away just to find Choice grade meat, everything at my local stores is Select.  Our Hardware store closes at 1PM on Saturday and is not open on Sunday,,, Small towns are quite , but have severe drawbacks.

I am not a big Internet shopper, I am a "hands on" kinda guy. I even put down books that have plastic wrap on them that keep me from looking thru the pages. I try and find the best deals that help support ME. In these times , living on a limited income, raising my grand kid, when I should be done , I look to save money anyway I can..  And I do WITHOUT on a whole lot of things.... I have not had any type of vacation in 15 years..  And its only getting tougher....
frown.gif

If I can get it locally, I usually do. I like to support the local businesses. I only order online when It is MUCH cheaper or cant find the product locally.

Funny no one has mentioned giving the local guy an opportunity to meet you part way on price. I have gone to my local guy and said your price is $15 and I can get it on the internet or from Home Depot for $10 can you meet me part way and they always have 

Buying made in USA is first.... locally second.... then come the  price comparison..... and quality..... I weigh all options and then look at the check book..... I try to never by "made in China"...

Makeme, take a look at your Honing oil...Most of the Pro's I have dealt with use Mineral Oil...Couple of dollars a bottle in the Laxative Isle at the local megamart...I have a 14" Tri-Stone that I have had for 15 years, well my Cheffie daughter has it at the CIA, but Mineral Oil is all I have ever used...

To the Original Post...Personally, I will try to by local when ever possible but for a $20 plus dollar savings I will buy on line...When I purchased for the various restaurants I worked, I would not dog a purveyor who provided good service for anything less than 50 cents a pound...Having a Sales Guy hand deliver 2 cases of Wings after the Superbowl Kick-Off is Priceless!...JJ

Thanks I am new to knife sharpening but did think about the mineral oil, sad things is I always have some on hand for my cutting boards.  I did not know if honing oil has some special properties that made it a better choice, guess not.

Welcome to our global economy!  We have been in the doldrums of economic woe since 09/11/2001 and everyone, from consumers to businesses, non-profit groups, even government, has been looking to spend less and either profit more or to simply survive and many do, but more and more don't.

But, it is still ultimately about value.  The bottom line is not price or profit but value, and today, however you can find that 'best value' is the paramount goal.  only good value ultimately leads to increased sales and profits and economic stability, the biggest bang for your buck with all things considered.  And, value is defined on three terms:  need, want, afford.  It's like a three legged stool.  It will only stand up if all three are there; just one or two and it will fall down.  You may need it, want it, but can't afford it.  You may need it, can afford it, but don't want it.  You don't need it, but want it and can afford it.  All three scenarios will result in either not getting it or returning or discarding it; the value is not there.  Whatever your priorities are, you have to look at all options and put it to the test; do you need it, want it and can afford it?  If all three are yes, then you understand the value and will keep it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky