Frendly poll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Funny no one has mentioned giving the local guy an opportunity to meet you part way on price. I have gone to my local guy and said your price is $15 and I can get it on the internet or from Home Depot for $10 can you meet me part way and they always have 
Funny you should mention dealing, I use to be able to do this at Walmart but when I ask the floor clerks I would usually get a vacant look of shock with a reply of no or no way.  That is when I ask for the manager and if they refused me a deal I would drive to he next Walmart and usually get a better deal, that's not happening much these days because they have you over a barrel I think.

Last edited:
Do what's best for you, not what you think may be best for someone else.
I did the buy local thing, only to find that when it was time for most of those business owners to respond in like....they went and did business over the internet and the like because it was cheaper.
One example.....a local hardware/lumber yard where I had done literally thousands of dollars in business over several years went with an out of area fencing company, rather than ours, to replace and expand the fencing at their business after a fire. Needless to say I don't step foot in the place anymore...and that's just one example
And so it goes!!!!!
Now I buy as cheap as I can, with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll be the bad guy and say I buy a lot of stuff online. Almost all of it isn't available in town. Wal-mart is not exactly for people who want to be self sufficient. We don't really have local shops that sell anything. Thomson is made up of fast food restaurants, supermarkets, and car dealerships (less of them now, of course). So I buy online. It really doesn't have to do with price unless the item is a whole lot cheaper online. A lot of my stuff I buy at the thrift store too (is that local?). Even when we stop at a vegetable stand here we aren't quite sure it is local.

I try to buy locally but a lot of the stores are offering cheaper merchandise. I'm not a fan of cheap stuff, over the years I've learned that in the long run it's actually cheaper to buy the more expensive quality item so I find myself buying more and more online.

Im gonna try to make this no so confusing.  It really depends on what im buying depends on where i buy it from, or pay or ones service.  If we are talking food, being in the army and anyone who has had any part or been on any military post knows the commissary has a good selection of quality meat cuts, and they are priced fairly decent and most of the time cheaper than alot of other places.  Now merchandise is a different story.  Being in a military town EVERYTHING IS OVER PRICED and even worse, the smaller shop,stores and places are even more over priced.

With that said if its guns/cars/parts online shopping or face to face willing and dealing.  If its something small and stupid that i dont need right this moment its on line shopping.  If its something that needs to be gotten right now its where ever i can find and get it the quickest.

Just a little side story that this thread reminds of.

There is a guy that does welding on the side out of his building behind his home.  I called him up on a sunday afternoon because i needed a quick and what ending up being a cheap fix.  He ended up going outta his way for a simple $10 weld so i drop him 20 total for doing it because he didnt have to.  Now if i would have taken it to any other shop that would have easily been 30 or more just to weld a shift peg back to the shifter arm for my motorcycle.

My apologies for ranting, but this is my experiance on the matter

I pick B. I always support the local merchant when possible. They cant afford to keep a large inventory and offer the selection that you can find on the internet. But, they usually bend over backward to get what you want and offer great service after the sale. They usually try to match or at least compete with advertised prices. The benefit of no sales tax from internet sales is about to come to an end.(at least in Indiana anyway).

Growler

in my opinion i would pay a little more locally and get a bond going with your area dealer,not only are you supporting your community but you build a realionship with your local vendor.all in all its up you what you feel is good.i have made friends with local meat market people and they let me know when things iuse are going on sale so in my opinion it pays off to buy local.

I know what many items cost and what they sell for at retail; most primary items have very low margins of profit but most accessory items have a very large margin of profit.  The biggest determination is knowing what and how to use it.  You can order and receive 12 different items that are not the right thing, all lower cost than the one item in a local store that is the right one but marked up a lot higher.  If you'd shopped locally, paid the long price once but got exactly what you needed, wanted and still could afford, it is probably a better deal.  However, if its an accessory item that is half price or less on the net vs. in-store and the specs are the same and you don't need it right this minute, it's probably a better deal, even with shipping, to purchase it on line.  My son bought an 82" Mitsubishi 3D tv on line, didn't even hesitate, it works like a charm, saved $1,000 buying it on a 24 hr sale.   Me, I'd miss the sale first off, procrastinate too long even if I didn't miss it,  wouldn't order the right blend of features and have to return it, and end up going to a brick and mortar and getting what I'd want thru a salesman and help him make a $250 commission on the long buck I'd have to pay, lol!

I know what many items cost and what they sell for at retail; most primary items have very low margins of profit but most accessory items have a very large margin of profit.  The biggest determination is knowing what and how to use it.  You can order and receive 12 different items that are not the right thing, all lower cost than the one item in a local store that is the right one but marked up a lot higher.  If you'd shopped locally, paid the long price once but got exactly what you needed, wanted and still could afford, it is probably a better deal.  However, if its an accessory item that is half price or less on the net vs. in-store and the specs are the same and you don't need it right this minute, it's probably a better deal, even with shipping, to purchase it on line.  My son bought an 82" Mitsubishi 3D tv on line, didn't even hesitate, it works like a charm, saved $1,000 buying it on a 24 hr sale.   Me, I'd miss the sale first off, procrastinate too long even if I didn't miss it,  wouldn't order the right blend of features and have to return it, and end up going to a brick and mortar and getting what I'd want thru a salesman and help him make a $250 commission on the long buck I'd have to pay, lol!
Well I am getting an education on this buy low and sell high routine.   I am wading through it one salesman at a time.  Had a knife salesman tell me his company will only deal with me when I have gotten a few high end products in my store, then he may talk to me.  I emailed him back to explain I already had other high end items lined up and willing to deal with me, I was just giving him a chance to get a foot hold in my market area which he does not have at this time. I then told him I guess we wont be doing business anytime soon and thanked him for his time.  What I wanted to say was, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.  So far out of the dozens of reps I have talked to this is the only rejection I have encountered everyone else has been great to deal with,

It makes me think about what his customer care/service relationship is like and do I really want my customers as well as myself to have to deal with this. 

I buy on line quite a bit but I mostly use the net for researching something I want to buy and if someone local has it for not much difference I will buy local, otherwise I may buy it online.  Having said that, somethings I just got to see and touch before I buy.  I bought a 42in Vizo about 4 or 5 years ago on line for much cheaper than I could get it locally because it was refurbished and it was the only way I could afford it at the time now it is still a lot better than a lot of flat screens selling today.

This is interesting for me because I  am way down here on a big island in the South Pacific thats part of the global economy but not that many people not that big a market.I think there is 25 million here now.I  live in the biggest most expensive city in the country & in world terms a very expensive city. We have a strong dollar over par with the USA. So what do I  think?

I will buy Australian & local if at all possible. Shipping costs hurt for internet buys. I will buy in my suburb first lived here for 26 years got to know people. The big 2 have done their best to squeeze the little guys in food retail here. Example leg of lamb $8 a kg big guy $12 at little guys but once your in the big store do you buy their cold stored stale fruit & veg,not me but I  have the time.

I  cant believe how cheap the meat is in USA from what I  see . Clothes same. Dont start me on how cheap your MES's are compared to here.BUT my mate bought a boat over the net from South Carolina shipped it here & still came out 25% easy in front. I am talking inshore centre console 20 foot boat.

Put me in the option D catergory. You did save "free shipping" that is never the case you will alway pay shipping its just hidden in the price somewhere........

Put me in the option D catergory. You did save "free shipping" that is never the case you will alway pay shipping its just hidden in the price somewhere........

I am finding many suppliers are insisting to the point I have to sign contracts not to sell under the msrp and some will not let there product be sold on line unless you have a brick and mortar, with that product in your store and no drop shipping allowed on many products.  If web sites are selling with free shipping they may be buying in large lots allowing them to pay less and make more so the shipping can be absorbed or less profit but enough to allow them to do this.  Mfg that hold to this even want you to tell them if you discover someone under selling the msrp.

I worry about web sales taking  business from me and I guess that is going to happen because you can save with free shipping and many times no tax but it seems some major changes are coming that will make the playing field more level.

Last edited:
Buying made in USA is first.... locally second.... then come the  price comparison..... and quality..... I weigh all options and then look at the check book..... I try to never by "made in China"...
X2, but meat products are local farms only. Sometimes buy it alive on the hoof, feed it out for 90 days and have it butchered. Otherwise purchase from local market which sells local raise meats only.

If it means I can build a relationship with a local merchant, I buy local all day long. otherwise I go for the cheapest price I can find.

Last edited:
About the only thing I buy online is Christmas presents which I can do a couple of months in advance.  I do order through Omaha steaks for my mom in Maine, they have great already prepared items but again, it is a couple of months in advance.  I do not plan menus that far in advance so easier for me to buy what I need , when I need it,, locally. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky