Neese hot sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brian08

Original poster
Mar 11, 2024
It is no longer offered in my area anymore. I had been ordering and having it shipped. I called this morning to order and was told we are only web. I tried to order and 50 bucks more for 20lb. I think its time to make my own. Anyone have the recipe? I have tired some local places down here but the sausage has way to much fat alot of greese.

Neese is a local to the Carolina's brand. It's very good whole hog sausage. When I cannot use my own, I buy it, and only it. They make all that pork stuff that many people like, such as scrapple and liver mush and something called C-Loaf (chitlin' loaf).

It's pretty similar to Pop's recipe. I suspect it's mainly salt, pepper, and sage with a dusting of thyme, garlic and red pepper flake (the hot has extra red flake and cayenne)

They make all that pork stuff that many people like, such as scrapple and liver mush and something called C-Loaf (chitlin' loaf).
I went and looked this morning . The Liver puddin' caught my eye . Lol .
I'd love to try the sausage though .

Thank you everyone for suggestions. I ordered some Leggs 109. I couldnt seem to find 25 anywhere. I am going to pickup some ground pork and try it before I attempt to grind my own. I am still trying to figure out how nesse makes their sausage in the square bricks. It make it easy in the morning to just cut it and put in the pan with out have to pattie it out. I would still support them but I order 20lb in Jan and it was 156 I tired to order this week and it was now 198. 80 bucks in shipping.

Reactions: JLeonard
Watch the store bought ground pork, sometimes it has a small amount vinegar added for flavor.

We can still get the Neeses sausage here but we have found Bass Farms sausage to be a better
alternative. It is a "hotter" sausage too.
I've never had Neese's, but I have eaten the Bass sausage and yes... it is quite tasty. Gotta cross the Carolina line to get it, which I rarely do anymore. Maybe next trip the Elizabeth City I'll stop and look around.

make it easy in the morning to just cut it and put in the pan with out have to pattie it out.
I slice from semi frozen if I have it in meat bags . Most of the time anymore I just roll it into a ball and freeze . Then use cheap patty press . Most of it goes to gravy after that .

20191030_163115.jpg
Let me know how you like that 109 . I'm using up the last of AC Leggs 10 . I have to heat it up a bunch for my liking .

Thank you everyone for suggestions. I ordered some Leggs 109. I couldnt seem to find 25 anywhere. I am going to pickup some ground pork and try it before I attempt to grind my own. I am still trying to figure out how nesse makes their sausage in the square bricks. It make it easy in the morning to just cut it and put in the pan with out have to pattie it out. I would still support them but I order 20lb in Jan and it was 156 I tired to order this week and it was now 198. 80 bucks in shipping.
Well I learned something today. I miss posted that the blend # was 25. The pouch says “bag #25, but that’s actually common on that older packaging even on the bbq seasoning. The blend # would be at the very bottom of the front , in the case of the thread I linked to there is a picture of the package but the blend # would be under his thumb, so we can’t see the actual blend #

Going off of that picture the ingredients read “salt, red pepper, sage, sugar and black pepper.” So after some searching around reading the various blend ingredients, it looks to me to be very close to blend #7.

I finally made a test batch with the 109 I can say I liked it better than Neese so that should be my go too. I need to get a better grinder now. I didnt try the food molds yet I need to try to see if I can get the shape right. I saw some grinders with patty attachements not sure how well they work.

I didnt try the food molds yet
There was an old thread here where the guy was using a section of PVC pipe to shape the sausage , then pushing it out the end and slicing . I think there was another where he cut rings of PVC and used that to shape patties .

I have a cheap patty press , but most times I do that after it's been frozen .

Reactions: indaswamp
Love a post update and seeing success! Congrats. Just added some 109 to my cart...
Sorry I am slow updating sometimes.. I only get on when I am on computer. I am glad I found this forum. You guys are much more helpfull than the facebook groups I have been in.

Well...Y'all led me to google to check out the sausage. I like the squares also. Would be perfect for a breakfast sammich! Now some of the other stuff on there......I'd have to try before I bought!

Jim

Well...Y'all led me to google to check out the sausage. I like the squares also. Would be perfect for a breakfast sammich! Now some of the other stuff on there......I'd have to try before I bought!

Jim
The square makes it easy..I really like the sausage but they stopped having near me.. I had been ordering for the past year every 2 months 20lb. They have tripled the shipping this month so I decided I would just make my own. I keep looking a way to make it square like theirs.

Reactions: JLeonard
The square makes it easy..I really like the sausage but they stopped having near me.. I had been ordering for the past year every 2 months 20lb. They have tripled the shipping this month so I decided I would just make my own. I keep looking a way to make it square like theirs.
I wonder if you make your own using square plastic bowls with plastic wrap in them and packing sausage in there and in the freezer for a bit to firm up.....Would that give you what your looking for?

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky