Question about pork back fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

broozer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 3, 2024
Portland, OR
I found a local source for back fat, and have a dumb question- can it be frozen? And if so, for how long? I don't know how often I'll use it.

Yes you can. Fat will rancid in time from oxidation. So the best way to store it is vacuum sealed then freeze. I do it in measured amounts for 1Kg of meat. This way I just thaw what I need and use it as needed. More to the rest of your question, time, you can keep it close to or about a year vacuum sealed. About 6 months non vacuum sealed.

Yes you can. Fat will rancid in time from oxidation. So the best way to store it is vacuum sealed then freeze. I do it in measured amounts for 1Kg of meat. This way I just thaw what I need and use it as needed. More to the rest of your question, time, you can keep it close to or about a year vacuum sealed. About 6 months non vacuum sealed.
Great! I have a vacuum sealer. Thanks.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
May depend some on where you freeze it. Refrigerator freezers tend to only run a little below 32 deg. Stand alone deep freezers run a bit below 0 deg. Things tend to keep longer in the deep freeze.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky