Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok folks, pineapple is in the freezer and first grind through 10mm plate is complete. Mixed the base dry seasoning with salt in for about 2 minutes, then mixed in the cure water. Inda frig, until tomorrow morning for protein extraction. I'll add the maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh minced ginger, NFDM powder, and some of the accent spice base, mix that in good. Then I will fry test to check for sugar, soy, and the spice base. Dial that in, then fold in the pineapple, adjust the pH of the meat paste, and stuff.

Last edited:
I am switching from NFDM powder to egg whites as a binder. Egg whites are naturally basic with a pH of 8~9 on the high end. Adding slightly basic egg whites will help counter act the acidic ingredients in the sausage, keeping the meat paste pH from falling too low and affecting the bind. Eggs also have a high amount of salt soluble proteins and are an excellent meat binder. 1 egg white weighs roughly 40g so 10 egg whites is 400g, almost a pound. Should provide a lot of buffering of acid ingredients.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Edit #6 Switching binders from NFDM to egg whites.

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 TBSP. Paprika
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
3/4c. Dark Brown sugar

Accent Spice blend:
1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1/2 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. clove powder

7c. canned pineapple tidbits drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
4 TBSPS. fine grated ginger
2 c. Maple syrup (very cold)
1 1/4 c. soy sauce (very cold)
10~12 egg whites; 3~3.2% (from my research, upper limit of 18 per 25# meat paste recommended)

Last edited:
I looked around, one Longanisa recipe had 1Tbs Soy and 3Tbs Vinegar in 21oz of pork. Another had Vinegar, Soy and Pineapple Juice in a SKINLESS sausage that looked perfect. I think you are worrying a lot about nothing...JJ

Any chance you could share those recipes JJ?

I did the second grind and stuffed today. First I measured out the Maple syrup and added that to the meat paste. Then I measured out the soy Sauce and added that to the meat paste. Measured out the fresh minced ginger and added that to the meat paste. I added 5.25g of the accent spice blend. I mixed this up good...
IMG_20190130_100235.jpg

Then made a sample test patty.
IMG_20190130_102547.jpg

I separated 12 eggs whites into a bowl. Added 6g of salt, and scrambled the egg whites with a blender and whisk attachment about 2 minutes to denature the egg protein. Put that in the fridge.
I adjusted the sugar up to a total of 1 cup, added and additional 2g of the spice blend. I added the egg whites and mixed them in well.
Did another fry test..
IMG_20190130_104926.jpg

I checked the pH with a pH strip. It was between pH6.5 and 7. (threw it in the trash, forgot to take a pic. of it)I mixed 1/2 TBSP. pineapple extract into 1/2 cup pineapple juice and mixed that in. I could tell that the meat paste bind got better. I rechecked the pH of the meat paste and it was about pH6
IMG_20190130_105441.jpg

Perfect!

I then stuffed the sausage into casing and put them in the refrigerator. I will roll smoke to them tomorrow. Cherry and hickory.

Reactions: tallbm
Well, I been watching all this. You have worked your butt off trying to duplicate the recipe. It is apparent you are a very smart person and will develop a "very good" pork pineapple sausage. However, the LIL' Butcher Shoppe makes that and other flavors and it will never be duplicated exactly. That's why they are worth a ton of cash! They are self made folks.
PINEAPPLE.jpg

I don't expect to hit the bullseye with the first try. One change I will make on the next batch is to back way off on the soy sauce. It is too noticeable...The savory notes in the maple sugar are enough to balance the sweet from the sugar. I will be able to use more pineapple juice too with less soy sauce. That will bump up the natural pineapple flavor.
I'll see how the smoke affects the flavors and modify from there. Main thing though is the bind is a success. I do not anticipate any issues upon smoking. I think the slight drying of the pineapple helped a lot.

Last edited:
I did the second grind and stuffed today. First I measured out the Maple syrup and added that to the meat paste. Then I measured out the soy Sauce and added that to the meat paste. Measured out the fresh minced ginger and added that to the meat paste. I added 5.25g of the accent spice blend. I mixed this up good...
View attachment 386853

Then made a sample test patty.
View attachment 386851

I separated 12 eggs whites into a bowl. Added 6g of salt, and scrambled the egg whites with a blender and whisk attachment about 2 minutes to denature the egg protein. Put that in the fridge.
I adjusted the sugar up to a total of 1 cup, added and additional 2g of the spice blend. I added the egg whites and mixed them in well.
Did another fry test..
View attachment 386852

I checked the pH with a pH strip. It was between pH6.5 and 7. (threw it in the trash, forgot to take a pic. of it)I mixed 1/2 TBSP. pineapple extract into 1/2 cup pineapple juice and mixed that in. I could tell that the meat paste bind got better. I rechecked the pH of the meat paste and it was about pH6
View attachment 386854

Perfect!

I then stuffed the sausage into casing and put them in the refrigerator. I will roll smoke to them tomorrow. Cherry and hickory.

I love the way you are researching, organizing, and executing this whole process!!! It is a perfect example of how to get something done with accuracy, precision, and high quality! Once you get through the research and discovery phase you will have all of the process and info figured out to a point that you can crank this sausage out in a standard reliable way!

Whether it is sausage, smoking something, building something with a hammer and nails, or writing some software, this kind of practice get's the job done and done well!!! Bravo!!!
:emoji_raised_hands::emoji_bow::emoji_raised_hands::emoji_bow:

Reactions: indaswamp
I love the way you are researching, organizing, and executing this whole process!!! It is a perfect example of how to get something done with accuracy, precision, and high quality! Once you get through the research and discovery phase you will have all of the process and info figured out to a point that you can crank this sausage out in a standard reliable way!

Whether it is sausage, smoking something, building something with a hammer and nails, or writing some software, this kind of practice get's the job done and done well!!! Bravo!!!
:emoji_raised_hands::emoji_bow::emoji_raised_hands::emoji_bow:
Thanks tallbm... I hope to dial the process in so the recipe is repeatable Once I get it where I want it.

Lookin good....
IMG_20190131_133019.jpg

INT is @ 118*, Should be done in about 2~2.5 hours or so....you can see the pineapple; good distribution through the links...

I showered the links with cold water until the INT fell below 100*. I pulled a link off one of the rods and set it aside to sample. The rest are blooming on two chairs.

Up close:
IMG_20190131_170746.jpg

It was windy today, little bit of ash got airborne in the smokehouse and landed on the links. Nothing a little water won't rinse off....

LETS CUT INTO THE SUCKER!!!
IMG_20190131_171835.jpg

Perfect bind. Nice densely packed links. Very nice snap to the casing. and JUICY, JUICY, JUICY!!! The egg whites really made the difference I think!
IMG_20190131_172141.jpg

All that sugar and egg really help hold onto the water!

Here is a lengthwise cut...
IMG_20190131_172851.jpg

Overall, I'll take it as a success for my first pineapple sausage. Now for the flavor profile...

The heat was a little more pronounced than I expected, probably due to the amount of sugar which enhanced the heat taste. Ginger was spot on @ 1/4 cup. Just a hint to let you know it is there. Compliments the pineapple well. The soy actually mellowed upon smoking. The Maple is very faint (or overpowered by the soy sauce). I will more than likely need real maple extract or maple sugar to kick it up on par with the lil butcher shoppe sausage. Now for the spice blend...The clove is spot on, just a hint and not over powering. The cardomom is good, not overpowering. The oregano, might could use a touch more.

Garlic is good. Paprika, might could go a little more.

Sugar-it is a sweet sausage, but could go more to match the sweetness of what the lil butcher shoppe makes.

So, changes for the next batch are:
Dial back the pepper
use maple extract or maple sugar
dial back the soy and replace with pineapple juice
little bit larger pineapple chunks (more on this later)

I'm happy. I know what direction I need to go with the next batch, but the recipe as is will make a good sausage.

OK, about the pineapple...My thoughts on the next batch:

The fruit was flat. No bite of acid at all. The 3 rinses flushed out a lot of flavor as I knew it would. I want to use larger chunks next go around and my reasoning is that I can dry the pineapple after just draining the fruit. Get it semi- dry; still wet on the inside, but a dry shell; and then rinse it to wash the acid off the surface yet keep the acidic juice full of flavor inside untouched. Larger chunks will deliver more pineapple flavor with undiluted juice within the semi-dry fruit.

Also, I will reduce the soy significantly and replace with pineapple juice. I will also look into pineapple powders and maple extracts.

I will use some ECA in the next batch to bring back the pineapple bite from the acid after the meat bind has set from cooking.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky