First Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You've gotta respect a man that when it warms up a little his first thoughts go to cleaning the Pit!

I salute you sir! 
beercheer.gif

You've gotta respect a man that when it warms up a little his first thoughts go to cleaning the Pit!

I salute you sir!  :beercheer:

Thanks, Kevin.

As you know, no matter how often you clean the smoker, it still has some colour. The missus always looks askance at it.

Awesome Job! Looks Great! I have about 10+ pounds of Venison in my deep freeze, that my neighbor gave me to "play with". Wonder if this recipe would work.
e
I would think if you substitute the beef with the venison it would be way better than my ss because of the additional flavour of the venison.

Disco

Reactions: vegansbeware
Note to find the ingredients...
Prague powder
Fermento
The casings

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Prague Powder #1 is the same as Instacure 1, Pink Salt 1 and some other brand names. Fermento is a flavouring to imitate dry fermenting a sausage. FB casings are casings that are artificial but allow smoke through. I get them all from a local sausage supplier, Stuffers. However that is in Canada. I think you will find one of the sponsors of the forums, MeatProcessingProducts.com carries them all.

The links are:

Prague Powder/Instacure 1

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/11000.html

Fermento

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/14500.html

FB (Fibrous) Casings

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/lem-sausage-casings-fibrous-casings.html

Also, a lot of sporting good stores that serve hunters have some of these product.

I hope this helps.

Disco

Which Fermento did you use, the one from Stuffer's or the the one from Sausagemaker?

I got mine from Stuffers but I don't think the product from Sausagemaker is any different.

I got mine from Stuffers but I don't think the product from Sausagemaker is any different.
Huge, huge difference!  They are not even close as being the same product!  Stuffer's Fermento is GDL (Glucono Delta Lactone). The recommended and safe amount of this chemical is 6g. per kg.  And you used six times that amount!  Frankly, I would not eat your summer sausage.   Sausagemaker Fermento is basically buttermilk powder and you could can't overdose on that stuff.

I realize that most people make sausage based on Ryteks recipes calling for the buttermilk Fermento he invented, and I just don't understand why Stuffer's chooses to sell their salami conditioner under the same name.  For people who do not read labels it's downright dangerous!

BTW, when did Moosomin end up in the Rockies?
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Well, I guess it is good you don\t have to. 

Moosomin is where my mother was born.

Disco

Look, I did not say that to offend you or knock your efforts in any way.  You have six times the allowable amount of GDL in it!  That makes it unsafe for anyone to consume.

The FDA recognizes GDL as a safe additive without limitation. In addition, the advice for 6 grams per kilogram is to stop over acidifying the product to prevent too tart a taste.

Safe
GLUCONIC ACID, GLUCONO DELTA-LACTONE, MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE, SODIUM GLUCONATE, ZINC GLUCONATE
Sequestrant, acidifier, leavening agent, curing agent: Nonalcoholic beverages, processed fruit and fruit juices, baked goods, dairy products, cured meats.

Leavening/curing agent

Gluconic acid is a metabolite of glucose. Glucono delta-lactone is the most widely used of this family of compounds and is used to adjust the acidity or as a leavening agent in baked goods, processed fruits, and dairy products. It is also used in some cured meats to speed the formation of the pink color.

All of these substances are quite safe
+++++++++++

Safe
GLUCONIC ACID, GLUCONO DELTA-LACTONE, MAGNESIUM GLUCONATE, SODIUM GLUCONATE, ZINC GLUCONATE
Sequestrant, acidifier, leavening agent, curing agent: Nonalcoholic beverages, processed fruit and fruit juices, baked goods, dairy products, cured meats.

Leavening/curing agent

Gluconic acid is a metabolite of glucose. Glucono delta-lactone is the most widely used of this family of compounds and is used to adjust the acidity or as a leavening agent in baked goods, processed fruits, and dairy products. It is also used in some cured meats to speed the formation of the pink color.

All of these substances are quite safe
+++++++++++
Thanks Dave. That's what my research said too. Particularly considering theingredients are modified corn syrup and dextrose. However, I just didn't want to get in an argument about it.

DiscoI

We have Submarines here too. You can get them at Delis & Steak Hoagie joints.

Bear
Har! That is definitely an American export. When I was growing up, a sandwich on a long bun was a hero sandwich. It was a real treat when we got one because they were so much bigger.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky