Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have to give this a go... I love watching Eric do his videos and ive done a few recipes from his channel. .. Glad to see one of your recipes made it to the show man! Thats awesome!!

Reactions: indaswamp
Posted today...

I like the changes eric made with the grilled pineapple...the hobanero peppers definitely kick up the heat...and the coconut liquor brings a more tropical flair. What a melody of flavors!

Damn that sausage looked delicious. Nice video and congrats on the shout-out in the video indaswamp indaswamp

Congrats on that for sure .
He does a great video . I can identify with his reaction at the end . My Son brought home a store made pineapple teriyaki sausage , which I thought would be weird .
First bite , I reacted just like Eric does in the video . Each bite got better .
I'll have to try a small batch of this .
Nice work .

Reactions: indaswamp
Gonna check out the video when I can, THANKS for posting. Congrats indaswamp indaswamp !

chopsaw chopsaw Rich, I want to use the spices of this recipe as a basis to make a version that sausage you made with pork or ham cubes. Some type of mortadella. I forget what you call it.

Rich, I want to use the spices of this recipe as a basis to make a version that sausage you made with pork or ham cubes. Some type of mortadella. I forget what you call it.
That was a spiced ham roll . Uses all whole muscle chunks ( cured ) and I used powdered gelatin to hold it together . Might be better to use chunks and a meat paste for this .

Man I've been away from this forum for wayyy too long. Congrats Indaswamp that's some amazing recipe building right there. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to be a super taster as well lol. Looking forward to another edit with Eric's touchups added. I live on the north shore of Oahu so l have literally thousands of pineapples right up the road lol. This is definitely on my to do list when l have some free time. Thanks again to you all who make this forum such an amazing place.

20211021_133038.jpg
Made some kielbasa from all the wild pork we been catching. Looks like we're gonna have to try this recipe someday

Aloha indaswamp

Nice!! So was this sausage as good as the sausage you were trying to replicate?
Thanks smoker808. The pineapple sausage is very good, but cajuneric made it better. It is not close yet to what I was aiming for, but a delicious sausage nonetheless! Still zeroing in on the lil' Butcher shop recipe.

Thanks smoker808. The pineapple sausage is very good, but cajuneric made it better. It is not close yet to what I was aiming for, but a delicious sausage nonetheless! Still zeroing in on the lil' Butcher shop recipe.
Awesome! I noticed he made a smaller batch. But didn't include the recipe, mainly measurements/weights he used per ingredient. Is there a way to get that?

I would love to try to do this sausage. But need a recipe. Idk if he's posted somewhere. I guess l could ask him lol. I noticed your last edit still included canned pineapple but cheferic used fresh n grilled. If there ain't any other changes then l guess I could follow yours and jus grill fresh pineapple?

Thanks so much greatly appreciate your time and help

Dom

If you go to youtube and find that episode, scroll down and there is a link to the recipe on his 2 guys and a cooler website.

canned or fresh grilled....either will work. Fresh will give better flavor, but either way the pineapple must be heat treated to above 158*F to denature the bromelain enzyme.

I have been asked to come up with a pineapple sausage recipe. Friends and family enjoy my smoke sausage recipe and say it is very close to the base seasoning used by the Lil' Butcher Shoppe in Hattisburg Mississippi in their pineapple sausage recipe. Might have a go at a batch with some of the extra pork left over from processing day. I've always wanted to make a batch. Here is what I have so far:

Pineapple
25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1/2c. Dark Brown sugar
2c. crushed canned pineapple (MUST BE CANNED!)
1/4c. soy sauce
1 1/2TBSP. granulated garlic
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder

8 ounces NFDM powder
Than
OK, I mixed up the spice profile in the spice grinder, sampled it on the tongue, then put a pinch of brown sugar on my tongue and sampled it again....I think it's a good starting point.
Ok thanks for the advice but would u grind the pineapple with Meat or just mix and stuff

That's if I'm making sausage links? That project is next. I'll add some because I used to use store bought sausage which is one of the reasons for doing this, and it had too much. I don't think zero is the correct amount. Plus I can make it taste how I want.
Ok thanks for the advice but would u grind the pineapple with Meat or just mix and stuff
I do not recommend grinding the pineapple with the meat because that will release too much acid within the pineapple.

I do not recommend grinding the pineapple with the meat because that will release too much acid within the pineapple.
Ok I’m try another 25 lbs this weekend is the baking soda required for the ph in the juice if I’m using Canned pineapple

Ok I’m try another 25 lbs this weekend is the baking soda required for the ph in the juice if I’m using Canned pineapple
Depends on how much juice you add...there is a limit as pineapple juice is very acidic and will affect the bind. No way to know without checking the pH with a pH meter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky