Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I cannot tell you how happy I am that this thread was brought back to life. I am absolutely going to make these on my next round of sausage making. Thanks indaswamp indaswamp for all of this. This is incredible.

My favorite breakfast of all time is a sausage like this accompanied by coconut & macadamia pancakes with coconut syrup. It’s such a crazy amazing combo. Good lord I’ll be dreaming about this tonight.

Reactions: indaswamp
Sven-use the encapsulated citric acid. The sausage will come out much better and will have a bite. Otherwise the pineapple taste will be flat.

Sven-use the encapsulated citric acid. The sausage will come out much better and will have a bite. Otherwise the pineapple taste will be flat.
First post. I make a lot of sausage, but have never used pineapple. I was planning on doing similar recipe to this one, but using dehydrated pineapples. Would you still use the ECA if using dehydrated pineapple? Thanks.

First post. I make a lot of sausage, but have never used pineapple. I was planning on doing similar recipe to this one, but using dehydrated pineapples. Would you still use the ECA if using dehydrated pineapple? Thanks.
Yes. I do recommend using ECA with pineapple sausages.

Reactions: agcrock2005
Yes. I do recommend using ECA with pineapple sausages.
Thanks. Anything you would change in your recipe if you were adding dehydrated pineapples instead of canned? For example, I use NFDM for my binder in all of my sausages. I was going to continue that for this sausage. Is that a mistake? Normally use heavy whipping cream as well for my liquid, but contemplating changing to either Rum like Eric did, or pineapple juice. Pineapple just scares me so I'm hesitant to swing too far from my norm. Appreciate your advice!

Use egg whites in place of the NFDM powder. Egg whites are fairly alkaline; pH 9-10, and will offset the acid from the pineapple.
I'm getting nervous now because I just read dehydrated pineapples have bromelain as well. Anything I should do to deactivate it before stuffing into sausage? I'm mixing, stuffing and smoking today. I'm thinking I will vac seal the pineapple and drop in boiling water for a few minutes to get the temp of it above 160. What do you think?

That should work...
So made the pineapple pork sausage, smoked it successfully without any bromelain disasters, flavor was great, had snap...BUT I don't like the texture compared to all of my other sausages where I use NFDM. It's a little more crumbly than my others. I mixed the hell out of it by hand but never got the tackiness I normally get. I did not use Phosphate however, so would that have helped?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky