Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I assume from the ingredients posted it is sorta spicy or hot. Kid friendly or adult only?
I've only ever had the pineapple sausage from The Lil' Butcher Shoppe once. It was not all that hot, though it did have a touch of heat. The kids at the party loved it so.....

I am willing to bet that if the pineapple pieces are coated with NFDM or egg white powder, then gently folded into the meat paste just prior to stuffing, that this would help the bind. The pineapple would have a sacrificial protein shell the acid would attack buffering the meat paste bind from the acid.

Reactions: zwiller
That said, Holy Moly, Rudy's sause is BUSY!

Yeah there is a lot going on with that ingredient list lol. It is my favorite bbq sauce though. I think I got to iteration 4 of attempting it. I was making a good sauce but not a copy of theirs.

Alright, I bought 4 cans of dole pineapple tidbits in 100% pineapple juice. Tonight, I drained all 4 cans in a colander. Almost 4 cups of juice in the cans so roughly 1.667 cups of pineapple per can just like Chef jj estimated. I have almost 7 cups of pineapple tidbits.

After draining, I soaked them in just enough water to cover the fruit for about 10 minutes three times to remove as much citric acid from the canning process as possible. Third time, I added 2 tsps. of pineapple extract to kick up the pineapple flavor. I drained the pineapple pieces and now have them spread out on paper towel covered newspaper with a box fan turned on high to dry the chunks some before I dust them with NFDM powder and put them in a dehydrator @100 for a couple hours to get the NFDM to stick pretty good to the chunks. The pineapple should be prepped for the sausage.

I've taken every precaution I can think of to avoid the known issues with pineapple in meat paste....fingers crossed.....

Last edited:
Oh- and I plan on putting the pineapple in the freezer prior to mixing in the meat paste to firm it up real good so it will not get bruised/crushed when I gently fold it in. I will stuff immediately.

Reactions: zwiller
Oh- and I plan on putting the pineapple in the freezer prior to mixing in the meat paste to firm it up real good so it will not get bruised/crushed when I gently fold it in. I will stuff immediately.
Good idea on the freeze

Alright, I bought 4 cans of dole pineapple tidbits in 100% pineapple juice. Tonight, I drained all 4 cans in a colander. Almost 4 cups of juice in the cans so roughly 1.667 cups of pineapple per can just like Chef jj estimated. I have almost 7 cups of pineapple tidbits.

After draining, I soaked them in just enough water to cover the fruit for about 10 minutes three times to remove as much citric acid from the canning process as possible. Third time, I added 2 tsps. of pineapple extract to kick up the pineapple flavor. I drained the pineapple pieces and now have them spread out on paper towel covered newspaper with a box fan turned on high to dry the chunks some before I dust them with NFDM powder and put them in a dehydrator @100 for a couple hours to get the NFDM to stick pretty good to the chunks. The pineapple should be prepped for the sausage.

I've taken every precaution I can think of to avoid the known issues with pineapple in meat paste....fingers crossed.....

I'm assuming you saved the juice?
If so I have a totally awesome and simple fajita marinade recipe for you.

-3-4 pounds of Fajita meat
-2 cups Pinapple Juice (NOT from concentrate)
-1 cup Soy Sauce (use regular or light)
-Your favorite Fajita dry seasoning but NO SALT, (this works well Pepper, Onion, Garlic, a little Cumin, and a little Chili Powder)

-If your Fajita meat isn't already cut into "steaks" then do so, 1-inch will work. I often do Venison fajitas out of the top and bottom round roasts but will also do fajitas out of cheap beef steak cuts from the store. I rarely find flank or skirt steak at a decent price and sometimes the quality is horrible on those to begin with. Flank and skirt usually don't need to be cut into steaks.

-Season the meat with the NO-SALT seasoning. You can go a little heavy if you like
-Throw the seasoned meat into a bowl or a gallon zip bag
-Pour in Soy Sauce and Pineapple juice
-Mix around so everything is mixed well
-Marinate for 24 hours or longer
-Grill on hot grill like you would a steak
-Brush on excess marinade while grilling, you can't put too much
-Pull at medium rare or whatever you like for your fajitas
-Eat like a king!

I hope this gives you some ideas if you haven't already done this with pineapple juice :)

Here's my take on this, and it is by weight, starting with water. 10% water is pretty standard so there is at least or more than 10% pineapple. I would try 20%. 2% salt is standard and so is .5% MSG. I would love ChefJJ's take on using ingredients IE garlic is not a spice. https://www.astaspice.org/governmen...ying-with-u-s-policy-regulations/definitions/
If what I posted is true, there is no garlic in the recipe. Lastly, I find when homebrewers are trying "clone" their favorite beers they get way too busy with ingredients. These days I am a true believer that simpler is better. That said, Holy Moly, Rudy's sause is BUSY!

I'd try canned pineapple tidbits, drain, and dry them to the touch. When I get a stuffer I will try some of this, starting to sound less weird and more tasty. I assume from the ingredients posted it is sorta spicy or hot. Kid friendly or adult only?

The Hawaiian pineapple sausages on the main island in Hawaii are an island version of Portuguese Linguica with pineapple added. Some have more heat than others. The spice blend used in most I have seen contain the spices in my spice profile...with the exception of cinnamon and bay leaf. Both are used in a portuguese spice blend consisting of cinnamon, garlic, paprika, bay leaf, corriander, cardamom, and clove. Garlic is a prominent spice/seasoning in Portuguese sausages.

If I'm reading this right, finished maple syrup has a 66% sugar content. So 1 cup of maple syrup contains 0.33% water, or 1/3 cup. So adding 2 cups of maple syrup I will be adding 1 1/3 cups maple sugar and 2/3 cups water.

http://www.mnmaplesyrup.com/LearnBoiling.aspx

Of course, maple syrups vary a little, some more sugar, some less...but this is approximate correct?

Did you freeze the pineapple prior to mixing and stuffing? I am going to do this and believe it will help to keep the fruit from becoming crushed which would release acid into the meat paste.

No, but you may want to consider blanching it first. I've always done this with cubed fat back for mortadella before coating in NFDM and chilling. It seems to help it remain bound to the farce when slicing. I also found this, for what it's worth: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njbas/article/viewFile/89668/79395

No, but you may want to consider blanching it first. I've always done this with cubed fat back for mortadella before coating in NFDM and chilling. It seems to help it remain bound to the farce when slicing. I also found this, for what it's worth: https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njbas/article/viewFile/89668/79395
Thanks for posting....
The canning process heats the pineapple to kill any pathogens in the can. I would not think I would need to heat it again. But fresh pineapple would need to be heated to destroy the bromelain.

I learned of that blanching of the fat after I made some goose mortadella. I will try that with the next batch I make, I left the fat out becasue the recipe did not call for it. I plan on adding it next batch along with pistachios and whole peppercorns.

Thanks for posting....
The canning process heats the pineapple to kill any pathogens in the can. I would not think I would need to heat it again. But fresh pineapple would need to be heated to destroy the bromelain.

I'd consider blanching the pineapple not because of the bromelain but for the improvements it has on drying. I believe you said you were going to dry the pineapple first, but maybe I misread that. It's my understanding that most commercially dried fruit is blanched before drying.

Any thoughts on adding baking soda to lower the ph of the pineapple?
Dan, you may be on to something here. Coating the pineapple with milk powder was a complete failure. Moisture started leaving the pineapple and the milk powder soaked it up, making a gooey mess in my dehydrator with milk dripping everywhere. I was leaning towards egg white powder, then remembered you mentioning baking soda to neutralize the acid on the pineapple surface.

If the pineapple tidbits surface is neutralized, bingo-acid problem solved. Then, if I freeze the fruit, it will not get crushed so no more acid contacting the meat paste.

Last edited:
Question is, pH 6 or pH 7?

I will be adding 1.25 cups of soy sauce which is around pH 5 so if I take the pineapple to pH7, it should balance out the acid from the soy sauce.

Chef jj, Any suggestions on final pH of the pineapple? PH 6 or 7?

Any ideas on how much baking soda to add to 2.5lbs. of pineapple tidbits to raise the pH to 6 or 7? I need to get some pH strips......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky