Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry, I have no idea how you would use it or the result. Salt and meat protein, we'll mixed then mixed some more, is plenty of binding...JJ

Alright...there is another meat sale coming up Jan. 31st so I can buy more pork butts cheap for processing day. The pork I have bought already, I am going to make a batch of this sausage sometime next week...the suspense is killing me! I want to start mixing and tweaking the recipe!! LOL!

I plan on pressing the pineapple in a colander to get it as dry as I can prior to adding to the meat paste.
I may bump the NFDM powder up to the max. of 0.75#, or 12 ounces for the bind. If that does not work, I may also add 5 egg whites....It WILL bind!!!! LOL!!!
I was thinking maybe you could partially dehydrate the pineapple in a low heat oven, which would not only dry it out but concentrate the flavor! Then the other liquid and fat would come in.

I was thinking maybe you could partially dehydrate the pineapple in a low heat oven, which would not only dry it out but concentrate the flavor! Then the other liquid and fat would come in.
Don't think it will be necessary, I believe using a lot of pineapple juice in the sausage is the culprit of bad bind.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the label say "sodium nitrate"??
pineapple-jpg.386295

Typo maybe? Wonder why they used nitrate instead of nitrite?

I've had the same experience, so I'm curious as well. I've spent many hours and pounds trying to create an Al Pastor sausage, which also uses pineapple, with limited success.
Did you use pineapple juice or just the fruit? What did you use for liquid and how much did you add? Did you use a binder?

Is it just me or does the label say "sodium nitrate"??
Typo maybe? Wonder why they used nitrate instead of nitrite?

Food labels are gov. approved so I doubt it's a typo, but then again why would they use nitrate?

I found this:
"
The pungency and flavor of dried ground ginger differ from those of fresh ginger root. Even though you can substitute one for the other in a pinch, they each tend to work better in different types of dishes. Ground ginger is preferred for baked goods and spiced drinks, while fresh ginger is used in savory dishes, especially in Asian cuisine.

You may need to experiment to find just the right amount to use in your dish. The Cook's Thesaurus reports that 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger root is equal to 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger. At Food.com the recommended equivalent is 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger for 1/8 teaspoon of ground ginger."

https://www.livestrong.com/article/...valent-of-fresh-ginger-root-vs-ground-ginger/

I do prefer the taste of fresh ginger. I just did not know the ratio of powdered to fresh. The 4~5 TBSPS. just looked like a lot to me. I don't cook with fresh ginger enough to intuitively know how much to add. The guide above helps out a lot. I am now leaning toward fresh Ginger root. I just want it as an accent flavor, not so much as to overpower the pineapple. Might cut it back to 2 TBSPS. initial mix, I can always add more....

Reactions: zwiller
Any chance that's some sort of dry cured product? The reason I ask is, besides brown sugar it has dextrose which doesn't make sense to me. Does the sausage have a tang to it?

Did you use pineapple juice or just the fruit? What did you use for liquid and how much did you add? Did you use a binder?

Just the fruit. Canned, fresh, dried. We've tried no binder, phosphates, NFDMP, ice water, and even pineapple juice... Never satisfied with the results.

Last edited:
I know I'm late to the party but I recall a while back a guy trying to make Pineapple snack sticks and they tore apart or disintegrated on him during the hanging and cooking process because the acidity and enzymes in the pineapple just mushed up the meat AND ate up the casings to where they would come apart lol.

I believe his lesson learned was to maybe use dehydrated pineapple in some form or fashion.

I don't have anymore info but you can read his thread here:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/hawaiian-snack-stick-fail.240579/#post-1508958

There may be some more research needed on how to avoid the pineapple destroying the sausage making process due to it's hardcore meat tenderizing properties :)

I hope this info helps!

I believe it's the bromelain that breaks down the proteins, which is why it's effective as a marinade. So I'm curious to see what happens here.

I'm heading over the the LIL' Butcher Shoppe later today to pick up stuff. You want me to ask them for the recipe? I think that would go over like a fart in church. I hope you duplicate the recipe.

I'm heading over the the LIL' Butcher Shoppe later today to pick up stuff. You want me to ask them for the recipe? I think that would go over like a fart in church. I hope you duplicate the recipe.
Ask one of the owners if the nitrate is a typo. Or if it is suppose to be nitrite...No need to ask for the recipe. Might ask if what form of pineapple they use though, that might help.

Last edited:
I believe it's the bromelain that breaks down the proteins, which is why it's effective as a marinade. So I'm curious to see what happens here.
Yes, it's the bromelain enzyme that turns meat to mush, which the heat from the canning process destroys.

Too much acid in the fluid used can hurt the bind though.

I am going to focus on achieving a great bind by using an extremely small amount of fluid to dissolve the cure, and mix the salt and seasoning in dry to extract the maximum amount of protein. I am going to order Ames Phos too, I have read that is is an excellent protein extractor as well. Hopefully, I will have so much available protein for a bind that what little acid is left in the pineapple will not affect the bind all that much.....fingers crossed..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky