Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BTW, fun fact for you Chef jj since it's Mardi Gras season. Cardamom is the secret ingredient in real deal king cake dough. It's not a lot, just enough that if you think about the flavor while taking a bite of king cake-you can tell it is there.

Yes, leaves, rubbed. You can grind if you wish.Taste and see. Oregano is common in N.African Piri Piri but not sure how well it will work with pineapple...JJ

I love holiday hams...you know, the ones with pineapple,cherries and cloves stuck all over with tooth picks. I'm hoping this recipe resembles the holiday ham at least slightly. I may swap clove for the nutmeg....

The Anise in Len's recipe would give it more of an Asian flair. Like sausage commonly made with 5 Spice like Lap Cheong. Clove would work but you easy. Gets over powering real quick...JJ

The Anise in Len's recipe would give it more of an Asian flair. Like sausage commonly made with 5 Spice like Lap Cheong. Clove would work but you easy. Gets over powering real quick...JJ
Yea, clove is a strong spice, like cardamom; which is why I want to start low. I can work my way up with fry test...

OK. I stopped by the store on the way home and looked at canned dole pineapple packaged in 100% pineapple juice for the sugar content. 15g per 1/2 cup. 4.5 servings per container. So 75g sugar per can, Little less than 1 cup of juice and about 1.6667 cups of crushed pineapple.

Also noticed that citric acid is added for canning, presumably to drop the pH for canning.

IMG_20190123_163146.jpg

Should this be a concern with the cure #1? How much citric acid would you say is added to the juice? Should I use raw pineapple and blanch it to @190* to destroy the bromelain enzyme which would not have the citric acid?

The can in the pic is pineapple in water and sugar. The pH is going to be around 4 no matter what pineapple you use. The Acid will accelerate the cure and has some additional antibacterial properties...JJ

I love the Lil' Butcher Shoppe. Glad it's only a 10 minute drive away. Been shopping there since they opened the doors many years ago. They built a much larger store next to the old store. Really nice. I love all of their sausage flavors.Pineapple is my favorite. The best (center cut) fillets you can buy anywhere. I'm in their place almost every week. Their shrimp stuffed and crawfish stuffed twice baked potatoes are great as well. Hell it's all good!!!
PINEAPPLE.jpg

Reactions: indaswamp
I love holiday hams...you know, the ones with pineapple,cherries and cloves stuck all over with tooth picks. I'm hoping this recipe resembles the holiday ham at least slightly. I may swap clove for the nutmeg....

LOL. Was gonna post this exact thing. CLOVE. I would spring for fresh ginger or at least the stuff in the tube when I use it. I'd also be doing smaller batches but I am sausage noob compared to you man.

Reactions: indaswamp
I love the Lil' Butcher Shoppe. Glad it's only a 10 minute drive away. Been shopping there since they opened the doors many years ago. They built a much larger store next to the old store. Really nice. I love all of their sausage flavors.Pineapple is my favorite. The best (center cut) fillets you can buy anywhere. I'm in their place almost every week. Their shrimp stuffed and crawfish stuffed twice baked potatoes are great as well. Hell it's all good!!! View attachment 386295
That's the stuff... I'll see how close I can hit it with a clone...

Reactions: Hawging It
You going to add Maple Flavoring?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky