Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have used a 1/2C per 5 pounds Breakfast Sausage. Was not excessively sweet.
Maybe 2Cup Maple Syrup and reduce the Brown Sugar to 3/4Cup. You can always add more...JJ

Edit #3:

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 TBSP. Paprika
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
3/4c. Dark Brown sugar

Accent Spice blend:
1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1/2 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. clove

7c. crushed canned pineapple drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
2 c. Maple syrup
1 1/4 c. soy sauce
1 1/4 c. pineapple juice
8 ounces NFDM

Last edited:
I mixed up the spice mix with clove in place of nutmeg. Did a taste test again with a pinch of sugar dissolved on the tongue. I like the change much, much better.

I have a feeling this one is going to be good....

I am going to be watching this one. Sounds delicious and also watching closely because I haven't had much luck adding acidic ingredients to the sausage. Always seems to hurt the bind. However most I have tried have been more than the 4 tablespoons poli put in that sample recipe.

I haven't had much luck adding acidic ingredients to the sausage. Always seems to hurt the bind.

I've had the same experience, so I'm curious as well. I've spent many hours and pounds trying to create an Al Pastor sausage, which also uses pineapple, with limited success.

You guys beat me to it. Acid... My gut is telling to mix everything BUT the pineapple and cure/rest overnight then add pineapple right before stuffing. That said, I don't necessarily believe acid hurts curing and acts as was said as accelerator but there is conflicting info. They could also be drying the pineapple a bit which might minimize problems.

Pineapple Juice is the same or even more acidic than the fruit...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Based on my interpretation of the label of the real stuff there is no juice being used. I guess I am looking at it as "how are those guys doing it?".

The soy sauce is slightly acidic as well... around pH 5 or so...

Too much acid?

I have successfully made smoke sausage using 2.5 cups red wine with around a pH 5 though. No problems with the bind, but I did use NFDM powder to help the bind.

You guys beat me to it. Acid... My gut is telling to mix everything BUT the pineapple and cure/rest overnight then add pineapple right before stuffing. That said, I don't necessarily believe acid hurts curing and acts as was said as accelerator but there is conflicting info. They could also be drying the pineapple a bit which might minimize problems.
small amount of acid, no problem; it will act as a cure accelerator. There is a limit as to how much you can add, I do not know where that limit is though, thus the quandary.

I plan on pressing the pineapple in a colander to get it as dry as I can prior to adding to the meat paste.
I may bump the NFDM powder up to the max. of 0.75#, or 12 ounces for the bind. If that does not work, I may also add 5 egg whites....It WILL bind!!!! LOL!!!

The recipe has a lot going on. Good flavors. With the addition of the liquid from the maple syrup, I don't think you will need the pineapple juice. Much of the Acid will be bound in the fruit and will not likely be an issue. Skip the juice...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
Edit #4:

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 TBSP. Paprika
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
3/4c. Dark Brown sugar

Accent Spice blend:
1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1/2 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. powdered ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. clove powder

7c. crushed canned pineapple drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
2 c. Maple syrup (very cold)
1 1/4 c. soy sauce (very cold)
8~12 ounces NFDM

Last edited:
Last night, I mixed up 2X the accent spice blend then weighed it on my spice scale.

IMG_20190124_142735.jpg

So I have the total. I will add, a little at a time, the spice blend to the meat paste, sampling as I go with a fry test, to dial the spice blend in where I want it. I will weigh the remaining unused spice blend then subtract that from the total so I know how much I used. From there, I can get the ratio and multiply that by the weight of each spice, then I know how much of each spice I used in grams.
This is a little trick I learned from my uncle when making a new sausage recipe. Get the spice profile where you want it first, then figure out how much of that spice profile you will add to the meat.....

Reactions: zwiller
I also found that clove is added @ 0.3~0.5g per kilo when used to spice liverwurst and blood sausages. It makes sense to add that much to stand up to the strong taste of the blood and/or liver. I don't need nor want that much overpowering clove. My starting point is 1/4 tsp. which is 0.6g per 25# meat paste. I just want a hint of clove in the background.

Question for you Chef jj,

I buy what they call pork 'cracklin fat'. It is strips of pork skin and back fat. I filet the skin off and it runs about 1/8" thick..
dsc02611-jpg.355831

I use that to make boudin...

Now, what is left, there is some hard back fat and I use that in making sausage, but the entire trim piece is not hard back fat...it is some kind of connective tissue... (dermis maybe?) between the fat and the outer skin layer.

I assume it would be high in collagen as well. I have roughly 7# of this in the freezer. How much would you suggest I add to increase the available protein for binding in the pineapple sausage?

I would grind this through the smallest plate I have (4.5mm I think) and then mix it in....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky