Formulating a pineapple smoke sausage recipe....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Any chance that's some sort of dry cured product? The reason I ask is, besides brown sugar it has dextrose which doesn't make sense to me. Does the sausage have a tang to it?
I've seen a lot of sausages use dextrose, both fresh and smoked. It's definitely not a dry cured product, it's juicy, juicy. Though I've had it, I can't remember a noticeable tang to the bite.

Is this stuff REALLY that good?! LOL. That said, I enjoy learning what makes something tick and I usually learn new stuff in the process.

FWIW Went looking at other pineapple sausages and they spec dried pineapple. Also, dried pineapple is usually sweetened with...

wait for it...

dextrose.

Probably easier for a commercial processor to handle dried pineapple. The drying process should destroy the bromelian just like canning. No doubt dried pineapple will be sweeter though.

The one reason I can see with using dried pineapple is that fluid will be flowing IN to the pineapple as it re-hydrates, pulling the acid inward away from the meat paste.....

Reactions: zwiller
Is this stuff REALLY that good?! LOL. That said, I enjoy learning what makes something tick and I usually learn new stuff in the process.

FWIW Went looking at other pineapple sausages and they spec dried pineapple. Also, dried pineapple is usually sweetened with...

wait for it...

dextrose.
It is really that good.

Reactions: indaswamp
I'm just sayin! It is going to be near impossible to duplicate the LIL' Butcher Shoppe recipe. I hope you pull it off for sure!

Not a brag, just biological fact...I am what biologists refer to as a 'super taster'.

When I was in college, I was walking on campus one day and a group of biology students were taking tongue imprints with some kind of a blue blue dye to count taste buds. Not exactly sure how they did this though. Anyways, I volunteered. They called me and asked if they could interview me. Turns out, I was in the top 3 percentile with the number of taste buds on my tongue.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

It is one of the reasons I learned to cook. I have been cooking since I was 5 years old standing on a chair in front of the stove. There are very, very few meals that I can actually enjoy while eating out in a restaurant. Very few restaurants actually COOK the food from scratch, unless you go to a 3 star or higher end establishment. The window for spice tolerance is very narrow for me.

Anyways, my friends and family are hoping I can duplicate it....we'll see.....I'm spot on with the base though.

For those interested in the science...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/super-tasting-science-find-out-if-youre-a-supertaster/

Not a brag, just biological fact...I am what biologists refer to as a 'super taster'.

When I was in college, I was walking on campus one day and a group of biology students were taking tongue imprints with some kind of a blue blue dye to count taste buds. Not exactly sure how they did this though. Anyways, I volunteered. They called me and asked if they could interview me. Turns out, I was in the top 3 percentile with the number of taste buds on my tongue.

It is both a blessing and a curse.

It is one of the reasons I learned to cook. I have been cooking since I was 5 years old standing on a chair in front of the stove. There are very, very few meals that I can actually enjoy while eating out in a restaurant. Very few restaurants actually COOK the food from scratch, unless you go to a 3 star or higher end establishment. The window for spice tolerance is very narrow for me.

Anyways, my friends and family are hoping I can duplicate it....we'll see.....I'm spot on with the base though.

For those interested in the science...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/super-tasting-science-find-out-if-youre-a-supertaster/

Well if you ever feel interested in trying to duplicate Rudy's BBQ Sause let me know, I would gladly send a bottle of it and my attempted replication notes if it meant we could work out close copy recipe of it I could make at home :emoji_laughing:

Well if you ever feel interested in trying to duplicate Rudy's BBQ Sause let me know, I would gladly send a bottle of it and my attempted replication notes if it meant we could work out close copy recipe of it I could make at home :emoji_laughing:

LOL! This is how it got started with the pineapple sausage!!!!! LOL!

I think the crushed would mix in and be more uniformly distibuted. What size pineapple is in the original?...JJ

Just the fruit. Canned, fresh, dried. We've tried no binder, phosphates, NFDMP, ice water, and even pineapple juice... Never satisfied with the results.
Did you mix up your own seasoning or use a seasoning pack you bought? Packs can contain sodium erythorbate and or sodium acetate which you would not need with the acid from the pineapple.

Here's my take on this, and it is by weight, starting with water. 10% water is pretty standard so there is at least or more than 10% pineapple. I would try 20%. 2% salt is standard and so is .5% MSG. I would love ChefJJ's take on using ingredients IE garlic is not a spice. https://www.astaspice.org/governmen...ying-with-u-s-policy-regulations/definitions/
If what I posted is true, there is no garlic in the recipe. Lastly, I find when homebrewers are trying "clone" their favorite beers they get way too busy with ingredients. These days I am a true believer that simpler is better. That said, Holy Moly, Rudy's sause is BUSY!

I'd try canned pineapple tidbits, drain, and dry them to the touch. When I get a stuffer I will try some of this, starting to sound less weird and more tasty. I assume from the ingredients posted it is sorta spicy or hot. Kid friendly or adult only?

I guess what the FDA defines for labeling purposes, is not what is necessarily taught. The definition also may be fairly new 2013 code revision. I got a couple of college level text books, 1990's, including from the CIA, that lists Herbs as edible Leaves and Flowers. Spices are Seeds, Stems, Roots, Berries or Buds.
Lumping all together sure simplifies things. Although I have to disagree on Garlic. Garlic is used fare more as a flavoring than as a Food source. We eat Garlic Confit (roasted garlic on bread) once or twice a year. I add fresh minced or Granulated Garlic to flavor some dish, every day.

Indaswamp, I can see your point on Chunks, go for it...JJ

Edit #5: swapping powdered ginger for fresh; swapping crushed pineapple to tidbits or small chunks.

Pineapple Smoke Sausage

25# 75/25 pork butt
1 oz. cure #1
108g salt
20g Black Pepper
24g cayenne powder
30g MSG
1 TBSP. Paprika
1 TBSP. granulated garlic
3/4c. Dark Brown sugar

Accent Spice blend:
1/2 TBSP. Paprika
1/2 TBSP. granulated garlic
1/2 TBSP. oregano
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
1/4tsp. clove powder

7c. canned pineapple tidbits drained (MUST BE CANNED!)
4 TBSPS. fine grated ginger
2 c. Maple syrup (very cold)
1 1/4 c. soy sauce (very cold)
8~12 ounces NFDM

Last edited:
By posting Edit #5, I assumed (I know, I know) you're reformulating the mix and was wondering if you are sampling it and changing it up after each version?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky