First time doing baby backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nomad_archer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 21, 2019
Brickerville, PA
Just want to say thanks to everyone that provided tips and pointers. I crammed 4 racks of baby backs on the 18 wsm yesterday. I followed the recommended 3,2,1 process and had the best FOTB ribs. So simple a caveman can do it.

Can't wait to do them again.

20200104_080902.jpg

20200104_083201.jpg

20200104_175522.jpg

20200104_175524.jpg

That's allot of ribs for an 18", and they all look great.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking cook. I too find that 5hrs at 225* is optimal for baby backs.

Last edited:
Excellent job these look great! Once you've settled it you might want to experiment a bit with doneness. FOTB seems to be many people's expectation although there is another camp that suggests the flavor is better just prior to achieving FOTB status. Some describe it as a 'clean bite' (no tug). Best I can describe the doneness level is when holding 1/3 of the rack with tongs, the rest bends enough that cracks appear in the meat at the bend area. Just an idea, 'cause the most important part is to eat 'em that way ya like 'em.

Last edited:
Reactions: nomad_archer
That's allot of ribs for an 18", and they all look great.

Point for sure
Chris

It was a full, full house in the smoker. I'm surprised they all fit. I need to cook at a minimum 3 racks for the family. I think I'll continue to do 2 racks that I know everyone will like and use the 3rd rack as an experimental rack to try different rubs/sauce combos.

Reactions: negolien
My understanding has always been 2-2-1 for baby backs, and 3-2-1 for spares.
I just switched to no wrap though, and while it tacks on an extra hour, it's much easier than having to wrap and they're just as good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky