Finally, a brisket everyone liked!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Like many, brisket has been my nemesis. While I've smoked many that have been acceptable, I never was satisfied that the end result was at least a 9 out 10. The son-in-law brought me a 13# Wagyu from a Ranger buddy of his (who has gone into raising cattle) and asked me to smoke it. Well, I was nervous not wanting to mess this up. 50-50 Salt & Pepper, trimmed off 3#, smoked in the MAK 2 Star on the top grate which hovered around 275-285º. Pulled with what seemed to be an easy probing @ 7.5 hrs with an IT of 201º. Rested in a cooler for 1h20min. Whoa! It turned out fantastic. Juicy, great flavor and tender. Whew... everybody was happy :)

IMG_2902 3.jpg

Last edited:
That looks fantastic from my screen.

Point for sure.

Chris

The brisket didn't last long, sheesh, that crew was hungry! Couldn't ask for more than to see your hard work get devoured in one sitting. :D

Thanks Al, I followed your lead regarding the temp to smoke at and will continue from here on. This one I made the decision to wrap in butcher paper half way through a very short stall ie @168º. Paper pushed it through almost immediately. Once done I cut open the paper to help the IT stabilize for 5-10 min before sealing in the cooler. Good notes taken so hopefully I can repeat ;)

Matt

Great looking brisket from what I have heard about Wagyu meat that was part of your battle. My neighbor has a friend now raising Wagyu and he was at a cookout this weekend with his friend. He said that he could not believe the taste of that beef it just melted in your mouth. They had steak and burgers he said even the burgs were unlike anything he had ever had. So lucky you getting some pricey Wagyu.

Warren

Great looking brisket from what I have heard about Wagyu meat that was part of your battle. My neighbor has a friend now raising Wagyu and he was at a cookout this weekend with his friend. He said that he could not believe the taste of that beef it just melted in your mouth. They had steak and burgers he said even the burgs were unlike anything he had ever had. So lucky you getting some pricey Wagyu.

Warren

...and the rest of the story: Our daughter & son-in-law are in the process of starting up their Wagyu Cattle Ranch. Currently at 7 head and more on the way. Looking forward to their success... for SOME reason :D Well, ok, maybe more than just ONE reason :)

Reactions: OILFIELDTOOL
That's a thing of beauty. Of Couse I saw in on the carousel before I got into the current post ;)
I'm really wanting to try waygu at some point. Many I know swear there's a difference.
Congrats on a great brisket.

...and the rest of the story: Our daughter & son-in-law are in the process of starting up their Wagyu Cattle Ranch. Currently at 7 head and more on the way. Looking forward to their success... for SOME reason :D Well, ok, maybe more than just ONE reason :)

Lucky dog! :p Fine job on the brisket. Like

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky