COOK COMPLETE!!! - First time doing a butt in the new smoker...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GVL_Smoker

Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Greenville, SC
So here goes nothing... I've run some chicken pieces through the smoker with decent results, but this will be my first time putting my new MPS smoker to the test.

I've got the butt rubbed and wrapped - planning on using a combo of Pecan chunks supplemented with Apple chips. The spritz will be a 3:1 Apple Juice:Jack mix.

I'll update this post as I go along tomorrow. Here's a pic of the butt ready for the show tomorrow:

20171229_221145.jpg

Wish me luck!!!

Reactions: gmc2003
Well, so far so good... got a later start than I wanted, but that's ok. I'm in no rush. This will taste just as good tomorrow if it's not done in time for tonight's dinner.
Here are some shots from this morning of my wood layout and a pretty one of the smoker throwing smoke. :)

20171230_095944.jpg 20171230_103157.jpg

So minor disaster.... I had a fire break out in the wood dish - normally not that big a deal, however while in the process of pulling it out, one of the chunks grabbed the water pan and dumped that all over everything - the deck, the wood pan, my hand....

Good news is that put the fire out... bad news is I had to burn off some of that now nasty smelling smoke.

Hopefully everything is under control and back to normal. Here's a pic of one of the early spritz pulls:

20171230_123028.jpg

Been a few hours now and I'm pressing right up against the stall @ IT 159... Figure I'll be foiling in about 30-60 mins.

Here's a progress pic:

20171230_153405.jpg

No idea why that post above never posted... oh well.

The cook is complete, and the meat came out fantastic!!! The bone just fell out and the whole butt just came apart with a gentle application of a fork.

Seeing is believing - this is at the stall, just before foil:

20171230_164444.jpg

This is right after resting and unwrapping:

20171230_184246.jpg

Money shots:

20171230_184505.jpg
20171230_184525.jpg

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'm loving this site and can't wait to be able to share other smokes!

~Marc

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky