Competition costs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
What's a typical entry free for a KCBS sanctioned competition. I'm in no way ready for competing but I saw that there is one nearby this fall and I thought it would be a good experience (In Columbia, MO on the same weekend as the Royal; which just seems odd). That is until I saw that the entry fee was $250-$300. I'm guessing I would spend slightly over double that by the time all the other costs were factored in.

Is this typical and if so, how to you guys afford to spend that much for all of these competitions. If that is common, then I solute you guys who do this on a regular basis. I'm so poor I've reduced to smoking only potatoes on a regular basis. Hard to win Grand Champion on smoky spuds....even if they are Geek's Smokalicious Spudicles.

Yer about right Geek. That is why I'm not doing the upcoming one near me. $300 PLUS meat PLUS gas Plus fuel PLUS PLUS PLUS. And ya can't sell a freakin' rib.

I do FBA comps, but the idea is the same and you have to cook all 4 meats, etc........just sent a check yesterday for one in Ft. Myers for $300 so the prices seem about in line to just get in the door.

Anyhow.........I would say that with meat, gas, etc.......A contest probably costs me around $500 on the average.

As far as paying for it.........I guess I am just lucky that I can afford it.......no other real explanation. I am certainly not wealthy, but I am fortunate to have a good job and a family that is supportive of my addiction.

I haven't competed in a kcbs yet but I have done SCBA (South Carolina BBq assoc) comps. Just sent my money in for a second this year for $275 and the meat is provided. That's why I like SCBA contests.

Goose ,I like the idea of meat being provided. That really levels the playing field I think! I like the cost of it too. I just like the friendly competition and party atmosphere.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

If the housing industry would pick itself back up, I could do a half dozen of these KCBS events nearby. I had every intention of doing a few this summer. I may have to talk to some folks about sponsorship.
icon_surprised.gif

Maybe we could sponsor you and a few others Dan(who ever is willing to do the comp)? In the name of SMF? You all could promote the forum and jeff's rubs,etc. Sign up to paypal to make payments easy or deal with jeff on an idea, do a thread, and you might be surprised, strength is in numbers!!!!!

oops , here is the quote that prompted this post....

"If the housing industry would pick itself back up, I could do a half dozen of these KCBS events nearby. I had every intention of doing a few this summer. I may have to talk to some folks about sponsorship"

Most comps average 2-300 dollars, meat will run ya about $150.00, drinks, gas, food, supplies, etc....
I'm hardly working and only doing my 2nd this year (had planned 9), been saving since this is our home show!
We've gotten a little lucky and picked up a meat sponsor and a sauce sponsor, plus we cater and sell BBQ supplies to pay for the adiction!
cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky