Chuck & Sue: A love story

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normonster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
deleted

Attachments

• 1 Meet Chuck.JPG
    1 Meet Chuck.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 2 Chuck is spicey.JPG
    2 Chuck is spicey.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 3 Chuck is ready.JPG
    3 Chuck is ready.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 3 Meet Sue.JPG
    3 Meet Sue.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 346
  • 4 Chuck is done.JPG
    4 Chuck is done.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 349
  • 5 Chuck is Seering.JPG
    5 Chuck is Seering.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 351
  • 6 Chuck is Seered.JPG
    6 Chuck is Seered.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 348
  • 7 Jus needs spice.JPG
    7 Jus needs spice.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 346
  • 8 Jus is spiced.JPG
    8 Jus is spiced.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 9 Jus is reheated.JPG
    9 Jus is reheated.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 10 Chuck is Cut.JPG
    10 Chuck is Cut.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 11 Normy Likey.JPG
    11 Normy Likey.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
I remember Bearcarver Bearcarver saying that 22 hours was the sweet spot but I found that 23 hours was not enough to get fork tender chuck. Next time I'm going longer!!! Bwahahahahaaa!

Cheers!

All Looks Great, Norm!!
Nice Job. Like.

Must be a difference in Chucks. I did one at 24 hours, and it was too long.

I did mine @ 133°, one at 21 hours & one at 22 hours, and they were perfect.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Love to do chuck this way, I don't bother to do it straight smoke any more. I think the time for me depends on the temperature you are bathing at and the net effect, either pulled or sliced. Like you we like ours at about 130* IT and sliced like steak. For that I can get a good result in 21-22 hours. For pulled I'm at about 24-26 hours but at a higher temp. Great job and result....LIKE

:D good story, and the food looks good too!

Nice thing about sous vide is that it can transform normally tough cuts into butter tender treats. I can only imagine how expensive chuck would be if sous vide became more mainstream.

Nice Job, Looks great I have to get my SV back out. I did a few things and put it in the closet.

Gary

Chuck looked pretty darn good even before his tan job!! But really amazing all plated up! Point!

Must be a difference in Chucks. I did one at 24 hours, and it was too long.
Bear

You could be right. It was a choice cut but from Lucky, a value grocer. I'll give it another try either way. Thank you for the like (and for turning me on to the technique of SV)!

For pulled I'm at about 24-26 hours but at a higher temp. Great job and result....LIKE

Thanks troutman! What do you suppose is a good temp for pulled (ie fork tender) chuck? Makes me wonder how high the SV can go actually. I wonder if it can hold 205. Might have to plop a small shoulder in there one of these days and let 'er rip for like 2 days. haha!

Beautiful Chuck and nice narrative!

Thank you motocrash!

Looks great and the humor hit the spot!

:) That was a tamed down version actually. I wasn't sure how far I should push the details of chucks little foray....jus and all.

Nice thing about sous vide is that it can transform normally tough cuts into butter tender treats. I can only imagine how expensive chuck would be if sous vide became more mainstream.

Right! That is the last thing we need after tri-tip went up to 9.99/lb.

Nice Job, Looks great I have to get my SV back out. I did a few things and put it in the closet.

Gary

Yes Sir....it is SV season around here!

Chuck looked pretty darn good even before his tan job!! But really amazing all plated up! Point!

Thank you petehalsted! Wasn't a bad dinner but left room to improve.

Cheers all!!

Norm

Thanks troutman! What do you suppose is a good temp for pulled (ie fork tender) chuck? Makes me wonder how high the SV can go actually. I wonder if it can hold 205. Might have to plop a small shoulder in there one of these days and let 'er rip for like 2 days. haha!

Norm

Norm - I'm attaching a recipe from Kenji which talks about achieving a 200+ pulled type result for a chuck roast. He suggests 155/36, I believe I used 160/28-30, to get it SV done then smoke for another 2-3 hours to get it ultimately up to 200+. I don't believe I have heard of anyone trying a straight SV to that temperature before. Plus you really want the benefits of both, you get SV tender and bark for flavor. Hope that helps if interested;

Kenji Chuck

Troutman Steve

Norm , did you run your temp at 130 ?
For 21 / 22 hours I ran at 133 . Was perfect " fake prime rib "

Gary[/QUOTE]

I remember when wings were dirt cheap!

Mike

Norm , did you run your temp at 130 ?
For 21 / 22 hours I ran at 133 . Was perfect " fake prime rib "

I did. Stuck to 130 the whole time. I wanted room to really sear the hell out of it. 133 is getting up there toward medium, no?

Well , yeah I guess . 130 / 135 medium rare . I posted the result if you're interested you can see a sliced shot .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky