The Most Incredible Chuck Eye Steak I ever ate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The cows up my way must be blind because we never see chuck eyes around here.

RS that plate looks fantastic outside of the schrooms.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
Nevertheless, in the last 9-years of buying chuck eye steaks at the local HEB, not one was anywhere near as tender as this one. I have enjoyed almost all of them because I prefer the flavor - some were pretty tough - but not one came anywhere near the tenderness of this one.

Do you cut back on the amount of salt you use since Adolf's already contains some?

Do you cut back on the amount of salt you use since Adolf's already contains some?
When I use Adolph's I do not add any other salt. I use little salt to begin with, even when dry brining, so I've found what seems to be the happy medium of enough Adolph's to do its thing without becoming too salty. Adolph's is salt based and the grind is very fine so it is easy to overdo it.

I just seared a skirt steak, sans Adolph's, from the same cut of meat that the previous few skirts that I used Adolph's on, came from. Very noticeable tenderness difference. I still ate it and it tasted great, but the Adolph's works.

I can't wait to try the Adolph's on one of my grilled chuck roasts - when the weather cools off...

Point for sure
Chris
When your store has chuck roast for sale ask the butcher if he has any chuck eyes. Probably has them stashed as there is only 2 per cow.

Last edited:
They use to make a steak flavor tenderizer, it was great, the spice is good to. Love chuck eye, hard to beat folks to them and they were cheap, not much difference than ribeye in some stores now.

When your store has chuck roast for sale ask the butcher if he has any chuck eyes. Probably has them stashed as there is only 2 per cow.

Point for sure
Chris
Take a r

Point for sure
Chris
Take a ride down Chris, I'll save you all you want.
20230914_133149.jpg

I've never seen that cut of beef Spook, sounds deliciously perfect beef flavor. I cut all my steaks from sub-primal standing ribs roasts for decades now, never even look at other cuts in the market. Two steaks per steer makes for some slim pickens, I'll keep a sharp eye out, tho I've never pay more than six bucks a pound for beef steaks, and that only a couple of times. RAY

I've never seen that cut of beef Spook, sounds deliciously perfect beef flavor. I cut all my steaks from sub-primal standing ribs roasts for decades now, never even look at other cuts in the market. Two steaks per steer makes for some slim pickens, I'll keep a sharp eye out, tho I've never pay more than six bucks a pound for beef steaks, and that only a couple of times. RAY
Ray - I am no meat cutting expert, however, I have purchased "whole prime chuck roasts" in the cryovac from the Sprouts on Tatum Blvd across from Paradise Valley Mall, back when they had meat counters, and there is a gnarly end and a nice end - the nice end is right next to where they separate the chuck from the ribs (rib steaks) and there is a small portion of "rib" eye that extends into the chuck - that is where "chuck eye" steaks come from, and they are great except for the fact that meat quality - locally here in the Ninth Circle of Hell (AKA Texas) - has been declining steadily (it is all Walmart meat anymore), and for the most part the chuck eyes are not as good as they once were. But every once in a while I see a nice one and I grab it.

Strangely enough - the Fry's at Greenway and 64th street carried chuck eye steaks but ya had to be quick!

I sure miss the old days back in AZ 😢

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Two steaks per steer makes for some slim pickens, I'll keep a sharp eye out, tho I've never pay more than six bucks a pound for beef steaks,
These eat as good or better than prime rib .
I am no meat cutting expert,

there is a small portion of "rib" eye that extends into the chuck - that is where "chuck eye" steaks
Pretty well explained . That " eye " extends the length of the chuck roll . It's only the 2 , maybe 3 inches that are next to the rib section that count as chuck eyes . I think some cut the rest of the eye into steaks and sell as such , but it's not the same .

Retired Spook Retired Spook
The steak you posted has a huge eye on it and looks like the remains of a rib bone tail . Probably why it was so good .
Chuck roll I broke down a few weeks ago . This is just out of the bag . You can see the " eye " at the top of the picture . That end right there is a chuck eye steak , and that's the transition cut from rib to chuck . You can see a separation after about 2 1/2 inches . So 2 steaks of the real good stuff is all you get .
20230708_125526.jpg
This is the whole thing broke down ( right or wrong . No expert either )
Bottom left of the picture is the eye section cut into steaks from front to back . I would only consider the first 2 chuck eyes . Maybe a third one . The rest I consider chuck steaks . You can see the eye in the first one ( double cut ) . then it starts to taper in the second and third , and gone in the last 2 .
20230708_141126.jpg

These eat as good or better than prime rib .

Pretty well explained . That " eye " extends the length of the chuck roll . It's only the 2 , maybe 3 inches that are next to the rib section that count as chuck eyes . I think some cut the rest of the eye into steaks and sell as such , but it's not the same .

Retired Spook Retired Spook
The steak you posted has a huge eye on it and looks like the remains of a rib bone tail . Probably why it was so good .
Chuck roll I broke down a few weeks ago . This is just out of the bag . You can see the " eye " at the top of the picture . That end right there is a chuck eye steak , and that's the transition cut from rib to chuck . You can see a separation after about 2 1/2 inches . So 2 steaks of the real good stuff is all you get .
View attachment 676190
This is the whole thing broke down ( right or wrong . No expert either )
Bottom left of the picture is the eye section cut into steaks from front to back . I would only consider the first 2 chuck eyes . Maybe a third one . The rest I consider chuck steaks . You can see the eye in the first one ( double cut ) . then it starts to taper in the second and third , and gone in the last 2 .
View attachment 676191
Perfect explanation!

Just a visual of what you said . I'm thinking the steak you posted was an inch or two closer into the ribs . That's a great lookin' steak .

Just a visual of what you said . I'm thinking the steak you posted was an inch or two closer into the ribs . That's a great lookin' steak .
Call me a cynic but I doubt that "corporation meat cutters" today come anywhere close to the meat cutters from back in the day, before America became a Walmart Country, so more than likely the cut was an anomaly.

before America became a Walmart Country, so more than likely the cut was an anomaly.
I agree . Someone made a wrong cut to your favor , or you grabbed it before they could . One of the old time meat cutters where I shopped used to cut them . When he retired that stopped . Skilled trade that's going away .

I agree . Someone made a wrong cut to your favor , or you grabbed it before they could . One of the old time meat cutters where I shopped used to cut them . When he retired that stopped . Skilled trade that's going away .
I know for a fact that the meat cutters at our local HEB put the "exceptional" cuts all the way in the back where they are hard to get - very often mismarked to a lower price - and buy them after they clock out. And in fact, this chuck eye was all the way in the back...

I make a point of finding them and buying them before they can.

I'm cray-cray like that and I detest the Walmart mentality that lies at the root of that kind of thing.

Call me a cynic but I doubt that "corporation meat cutters" today come anywhere close to the meat cutters from back in the day, before America became a Walmart Country, so more than likely the cut was an anomaly.
We have a couple of butcher shops that do break down carcasses, and a couple of good meat cutters at grocery stores, but the reality is, a box cutter is used as much as a butcher knife.
fiqEBjq.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky